By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Citigroup Sees PS3 in Last Place Through 2012

Price cut too late for Sony's PS3?

"Most expect Nintendo to emerge as the winning next-generation console maker.

In the five years to 2012, Soichiro Fukuda, analyst at Nikko Citigroup, expects the Wii to capture a 46 per cent global market share, compared with 33 per cent for Microsoft's Xbox360 and 22 per cent for the PS3."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a5342166-a39f-11dc-b229-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

Around the Network

I was going to argue then I release that with these percentage only u cannot say anything because u dont know the absolute gap between the PS3 and the xbox360.

... BS ...

By extrapolation, since by 2012 the sales numbers will continue to increase (because they sell console lol), this guy predict that the Xbox360 will averagly continue to outsold WW the PS3 significatively and continue to increase the WW gap

I guess his prediction are something like

Wii          100M

Xbox360 75M

PS3         50M

something like this with a gap between PS3/Xbox360 of 25M in 2012 (it is 8M right now)

Time to Work !

Common ... that would mean that the PS3 would nearly stagnate during next year , even with the pricecut and the huge games that its getting ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

So the analysts have officially woken up?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hunter_alien said:
Common ... that would mean that the PS3 would nearly stagnate during next year , even with the pricecut and the huge games that its getting ...

That doesn't say the PS3 will be stagnant.  It says that Nintendo and Sony will increaes their relative marketshares and Microsoft will lose its relative marketshare.  This seems fairly obvious, considering that MS has been consistently losing marketshare even yet, so we don't know how far they'll eventually slide.

Microsoft won't sit on its laurels the entire time and neither will Nintendo.  Sony needs to do *more* than those two companies to come out on top.

Around the Network

You still believe those analysts?

It's nice to see an analyst actually predicting that the Wii and 360 will continue to sell strongly, rather than the usual "Wii sales will die off in 2008 and PS3 will (somehow) emerge as the eventual winner." It only took, what, 13 months of sales data to reach that conclusion?

Sony fans, don't feel bad about this latest report. Given how bad the predictions have been this generation, this probably means the PS3 is in good shape.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Who the hell is Citigroup?? Sounds alittle like a bank to me?

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

There's no way to predict even 2008 until 2008. No one can really say how much the gimpy Playstation will help sales into next year. I don't know how these guys make a career of playing guessing games.

-- based on it's Nov sales, which were obviously boosted by the new unit, it's really hard for me to see how Sony will ever catch the 360 though at such (still) high price points.

The question is what will they do after 2012 the console will live for 10 years (if we have to believe Sony).