By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - xbox dead in japan? yes or no? reasoning plz

Yojimbo said:
HappySqurriel said:

Yes/No ...

The XBox 360 has almost no chance of becomming a system that will ever have reasonable sales in Japan; this is (in a large part) because Microsoft really doesn't understand the Japaneese market and has failed to deliver and market a product that people in Japan want.

At the same time, the XBox 360 has outsold the original XBox and has been building a respectable userbase at a rate of about 5,000 users per week; at this rate they're likely to pass 1 Million units sold by the time they launch their next system (possibly 2 Million if they can get ports of some MAJOR Japaneese games) which is a very good userbase for a system which is ignored in the region.

2 million seems way to optimistic, PS3 maybe will hit 5m and it is selling much better. It took 2 years for 360 to hit 500k.

Maybe 5 million units ... are you freaking kidding me , it will probably reach the 1.8 untill end of the year , and with a pricecut , FFXIII , MGS4 it will deffinatly improove its sales ....

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

@ Kirby007

So if people don't agree, they're from the Sony Camp?

You made this thread to make yourself feel better basically. You're only looking at the posts that you agree with means that you don't want us to answer truthfully, but the way you think we should answer. So there was no point in this thread except to listen to what you want to listen to. You need help.

:(

fine fine whatevah

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

jhlennon1 said:
mrstickball said:
So in my opinion, it's certainly alive. It's the "master of it's own destiny". If MS keeps pumping out day-and-date multiplatform titles, sprinked with a few Japanese-made exclusives here and there, and the yearly Mistwaker title, Microsoft can and will carve out a niche fanbase of 1.5-2.5m users. That's a very impressive number for a system that opened up with a paltry 40,000 systems sold first week.

The problem is that unless the 3rd party games are timed exclusive they don't sell on the 360. If the game is available on the PS3 then the 360 version gets ignored, just look at Musou 5 and PES08 they boosted PS3 sales while the 360 got totally ignored in both hardware and software increases. Unless Microsoft can change that they have major issues. After Lost Odyssey, they have nothing exclusive that appeals to Japan for quite some time.

We have no idea when Infinite Undiscovery and Cry On are due and other then that, 360 doesn't have anything that the PS3 dosen't have.

For the most part, I agree that multi-platform games that aren't timed exclusive have little effect on hardware the week-of for the X360. However, I am optimistic that the further the war goes, the more consumers will start picking the Xbox 360 over the PS3 due to library, even in Japan. We're seeing a very similar thing in Europe - sales for multi-plat games are starting to do stronger and stronger for the PS3, and are having a bigger and bigger effect.

However, there are tons of various multi-plat games for the X360 in the coming months that are much, much stronger than last year - a day-and date Armored Core vs. time delayed, Devil May Cry 4, Last Remnant, Resident Evil 5, ect.

However, I wonder what exclusives Microsoft has for Japan next year - Ninja Gaiden 2 will be big, as NG1 was pretty big there, despite the abysmal timing of it (2004, when the Xbox sold litterally nothing in Japan, it wound up doing 66k that year. NG2 could hit 150k if done right, or more). Then you have Cry-On, Infinite Undiscovery. After that, it's a big question mark on what's going to be there.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Hmm...Take that back.

GameFAQ's put up a few new X360 games slated for an early-08 launch. IdolM@Ster: Live for You! is coming in Febuary. IdolM@Ster has sold somewhere near 75k on the X360 thus far (thanks to huge budget priced sales). Bioshock is also on the list, at 2/21/08. That could be decent, since the Western-Shooter userbase has been pretty strong on the X360 lately.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

that is the whole point every one says xbox 360 =dead
but it is not ! it is slowly growing ( can never beat ps3, mind you ).
and every xbox sold in japan is one!!!

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

COMAPARED WITH THE XBOX THE 360 IS STILL VEREY MUCH ALIVE :)

aaw;)

People who are expecting 5 Million PS3 systems sold in Japan in 2008 are being overly optimistic ... After 1 year on the market the PS3 has sold under 1.5 Million units, even if Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo double demand for the PS3 it would still be under 5 Million at the end of 2008; neither game is likely to double demand over the long run, and will probably only cause short term boosts resulting in additional sales in the 250,000 to 500,000 range.

Well, another test. Call of Duty 4 releases on both the PS3/360 late in December. That will be interesting since western games on the PS3 in Japan have been performed less them impressive with Resistance being the only exception.

Armored Core vs. time delayed, Devil May Cry 4, Last Remnant,

I can definitely see Devil May Cry 4 and Last Remnant being much more helpful to the PS3 then to the 360. Especially Last Remnant.