By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - xbox dead in japan? yes or no? reasoning plz

I could see it selling ~1 million lifetime , but thats only a toe in the door :P Yep , its dead , no , its a dream , because it was never alive ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Japanese don't buy defecting products (RROD).

HappySqurriel said:

Yes/No ...

The XBox 360 has almost no chance of becomming a system that will ever have reasonable sales in Japan; this is (in a large part) because Microsoft really doesn't understand the Japaneese market and has failed to deliver and market a product that people in Japan want.

At the same time, the XBox 360 has outsold the original XBox and has been building a respectable userbase at a rate of about 5,000 users per week; at this rate they're likely to pass 1 Million units sold by the time they launch their next system (possibly 2 Million if they can get ports of some MAJOR Japaneese games) which is a very good userbase for a system which is ignored in the region.

you sir, are my king, the only one with a normal answer.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Well in 2 years it's already out sold the original by 30,000 or so units. And it had a rocky launch, which means games like Blue Dragon really helped pick up system sales. And today(or yesterday in japan) Lost Odyssey came out. Meaning this should be the biggest week for the 360 in Japan ever, a weird week to start a topic about it's death. This don't mean it's looking at a huge turn around but if Lost Odyssey is huge in Japan, they could be looking at a Million consoles sold some time next year and that kind of figure could justify more big 3rd party games going multiplatform that prior might have been ps3 exclusive. That along with another batch of JRPGs Microsoft is making sure hit Japan exclusively and I think the 360 will have a healthy yet last place by far existence.

it was never alive there IMO.... but it's not really dead either.... let me explain right now the 360 doesn't have a life in japan.... but it can build momentum for a next gen....I don't think XB will work this time and not especially the next one either... but next one we could expect something closer to a Europe type of launch for a not so famous console.... this generation is going to prove to japan that XB can provide good games for their taste and if the next gen is not failing like this one and continue its effort of providing games for that market they might buy it way more but still not more than other... but that's a good start to set a foot in a market.... for now they just have to try to build brand name by advertising and stay in view enough to tickle the interest durably, and maybe trigger a buy on the next generation....

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Yes/No ...

The XBox 360 has almost no chance of becomming a system that will ever have reasonable sales in Japan; this is (in a large part) because Microsoft really doesn't understand the Japaneese market and has failed to deliver and market a product that people in Japan want.

At the same time, the XBox 360 has outsold the original XBox and has been building a respectable userbase at a rate of about 5,000 users per week; at this rate they're likely to pass 1 Million units sold by the time they launch their next system (possibly 2 Million if they can get ports of some MAJOR Japaneese games) which is a very good userbase for a system which is ignored in the region.

2 million seems way to optimistic, PS3 maybe will hit 5m and it is selling much better.  It took 2 years for 360 to hit 500k.

@ Kirby007

Are you bored or something? Why are you posting all of these useless threads. The 360 is dead in Japan. It's barely moving 5k/week. It's been out for two years, and it has JUST hit half million units. If this isn't dead, I don't know what is.

DMeisterJ said:
@ Kirby007

Are you bored or something? Why are you posting all of these useless threads. The 360 is dead in Japan. It's barely moving 5k/week. It's been out for two years, and it has JUST hit half million units. If this isn't dead, I don't know what is.

it were 2 maybe you don't like them cuz it is reality :

1 sony psp gets crushed

2 microsoft xbox 360

so plzzz would you mind U&^FYHJ

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Yojimbo said:
HappySqurriel said:

Yes/No ...

2 million seems way to optimistic, PS3 maybe will hit 5m and it is selling much better.  It took 2 years for 360 to hit 500k.

The PS3 will sell more then 5mil after GT5 and the two Final Fantasy XIII games hit Japan.

As for the 360 in Japan... it is dead, deader then dead. No sales there from the 360 will ever be relevant no matter how much the 360 fans want it to sell. November was the worst possible thing that could have happened to the 360.

Define "dead"...

IMO, you'd define a dead system that has a continuously reducing trend of sales, with no hope of any sort of trend to increase.

The Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Xbox come to mind. Each had good/ok debuts, followed by ever-decreasing sales, and ended up being very dead within 2-3 years.

The Xbox 360 is not that way. It had absolutely horrid sales, but has been trending up the entire year. It's software sales are about 60% of the PS3. Versus last year, the X360's week-to-week sales have beaten every week last year, except for one (N3's debut). To me, that's a positive sign.

Is it dead to become competitive versus the PS3 or Wii? Absolutely. It was dead on arrival. Is it dead in the way that it's trending to become an ever-increasing abysmal failure? Absolutely not. The X360, in under 2 years, has already overtaken the Xbox's previous sales records, in a time when Europe is maybe 60% near the Xbox's LTD sales, and US sales are maybe at 70%. That's a huge improvement. It's a huge improvement on an abysmal failure, but still.

So in my opinion, it's certainly alive. It's the "master of it's own destiny". If MS keeps pumping out day-and-date multiplatform titles, sprinked with a few Japanese-made exclusives here and there, and the yearly Mistwaker title, Microsoft can and will carve out a niche fanbase of 1.5-2.5m users. That's a very impressive number for a system that opened up with a paltry 40,000 systems sold first week.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.