By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 have its PEAK YEAR?! (In terms of sales)

When will PS3 have its PEAK YEAR?! (In terms of sales)

2010 (This year)! 65 17.71%

2011 163 44.41%

2012 35 9.54%

2013 (If the world isn't dead by then) 14 3.81%

lawl PS3 had its peak year in 2009! 90 24.52%

Total:367

2010. Gran Turismo is coming out this year.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

I don't know what year, but I'm going with everyone whose saying whenever it drops to $199.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Why does 2009 seem highly unlikely? Just because most people voted for 2011, doesn't make it so. 2009 introduced the Slim model, it boosted sales, and it's highly unlikely that 2010 sales will be as high as 2009. Yes a price cut to $200 will push consoles, but i beleive the Slim effect will have been stronger. Popular vote means noting, do you ever pay attention to the "Most Wanted" Section of VGChartz? This website is largly composed of Nintendo fans or Sony fans, to the point where a niche game like Tales of Grace is more wanted then Halo Reach. Popular vote means nothing when the large portion of voters are Sony fans (some of which are hardcore fanboys).

PS3 sales mimic PSP sales if you allign launch dates, and look at PSP sales now. Despite the PSP being priced down to $130 in the states, and a variety of great titles being released, it's sales have plumited.

I bet in 2009 PSP fans and DS fans thought that their respective consoles could still have a peak year in the future, but they didn't.

The fact of the matter is that, as it looks right now, 2009 was Sony's peak year, and in 2010 their year end sales will most likely be lower. Sony's PS3's peak popularity is over, it's over the hill, and it's very rare to see a console rise again.

I mean look at PS2, it's peak year was 2002, only 2 years after launch in Japan, and just 1 year after launch everywhere else. It had a jump in 2005 to 90% of peak year sales, but genrally after 2002, sales slowly declined, and in 2007 sales were 50% of peak sales. This is what is most likely to happen to the PS3, just on a shorter interval (PS2 will have a much longer tail, saleswise)

Sony has released a new game with all of their IP's and now it's simply making sequels, hype will fall for PS3, and in 2012 people are going to start looking for a new console. Sony wouldn't even consider releasing a PS4 if PS3 was selling super well in 2011.

PSP had it's peak year in 2008, and now in 2010 sales are about half of what they used to be. Since the PS3 has followed the PSP sales curve for the last 4 years very accuratly, it's probably going to do the same. So 2012 PS3 should only sell 6 million consoles worldwide.

I mean think about it, do you honestly beleive the PS3 will have it's peak year, 5 years after the launch of the console? No console has ever done that before, sales do not build up that slowly, and even with a price cut, it's just not going to be able to keep sales up.

Sony estimated that the PS3's lifespan would be 10 years, it didn't sell as well as expected so now it's planned to have an 8 year life. If you follow sales data, that would imply a peak year in terms of sales in about 3 years (since all consoles have their peaks before mid-life). This is what happened, Sony released the PS3 Slim during it's peak season, and that made a huge spike in sales. However now PS3, 360, and Wii are all on declining sales (after the 360 Slim effect wares off), and all a price cut can do is keep sales on par for an extra year. I mean will the Wii see another 24 million sold year just because the price drops to $130 (Same % reduction in PS3's price drop)? If sales do jump, don't you think MS and Sony will also make price drops to balance things out?

I didn't say the majority vote is correct, I said if certain pieces fall into place, the majority vote may end up correct. Why would 2010 be the peak year? Who's to say a slimmer model is out of the question? What about a price drop to $249, or $199? When was the PS3's life cut to just 8 years? Have you also forgotten Gran Turismo 5?

Many factors challenge your prediction.

I feel it's unlikely for 2011 to be the peak year for PS3. If you follow the trend in sales, PS3 sales are already curving down, it's hit it's natural peak in about 2009, and the Slim boosted the PS3 to really make the peak up there.

A second Slim model is possible, but the purpose of a Slim model is to re-energize sales. The current Slim PS3 was launched during PS3's natural peak (following PSP sales curves which PS3 basically mimics), if a futre PS3 redesign is launched, it will simply extend the life of the console.

As for price drops, they boost sales, but not as significantly as redesigned consoles.

Sony anticipated the PS3 to replace the PS2, they expected significantly more sales, and they didn't get it. They had to remove backward compatibility for PS3 in order to promote PS3 game purchases because back in 2008, PS3 software revenues were very very low.

As for Gran Turismo 5, thats the last game sony has to offer that hasn't seen a PS3 interation. After that, the PS3 has less to offer (as in new games) as it used to. There are no more new IP's which we have known about for 5 years that Sony has still to make. Yes I'm aware of The Last Guardian, and Twisted Metal, but those types of games only sell about a million copies, they wont budge the market at all.

Also GT5 won't boost console sales significantly, and it won't boost console sales for a period longer then a month.

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion. I just bais my opinion off trends. PS3 sales are declining already, PS3 sales follow PSP trends very closely, and there is already talk of successor consoles. In the history of gaming, no console has experienced peak sales beyond it's half life, and if new consoles come by 2013, and PS3 sells until 2015, that would mean that this is the last full year Sony has before it reaches it's half-life.

Unless GT5 comes with a PS3 bundle, and PS3 drops its price to $200 THIS FALL, I don't see the PS3 selling any better year on year over 2009 in the future. You can hold this against me if you like, but please come back to me in a couple years.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

The moment it hits 199...at the end of 2011, maybe? I expect 2012 to be the consoles best year.

I voted 2011 because software sells the hardware and if Sony plays it's cards right by price cutting to $249.99 or below by June/July, then they will see a synergy of a hardware spike due to the software and a more affordable entry price.

Around the Network
TheSource said:

If you adjust for inflation, PS3 at $300 in 2010 costs roughly what PS2 did in May 2002 when it went to $200. 

Inflation at 50% over 8 years? Get out of town. What is this the late 70's? Average inflation since 2002 is about 2.5%(2.44%). The biggest year was 3.8% and last year was actually a year of deflation by -.34%. This year inflation is 2% as of the end of July. Only 2005, 2006, and 2008 had an inflation rate of greater than 3% since 2002. A $200 price tag then should run about $240 -$245 in terms of today's dollars. At this rate it wouldn't be until about 2020 that the old $200 price point would be $300. And by then we'll be well beyond this generation of consoles. I'm sure you were exaggerating a little with them being equal but I think you stretched it a little too far to help prove your point this time. 

I do agree with you that the 70% thing is bull though, as there is too many other factors that can effect what price point sees the most sales(i.e. the time factors you stated). I also agree that the PS3 wont be $200 next year but may see a $249 price point. Which would actually be the 2002 $200 price point for today's dollar.

Probably this year.  By the time it gets down to $199 (late 2011/2012), it'll probably be going against a feature comparable Wii 2 @ $249 and 360's lower tier model might even be at $99-149.  After this year, it's biggest exclusive (or timed/region exclusive) franchise releases (MGS4, FFXIII, GT5, etc) will all probably be behind it too.

Probably this year but possibly a slim outside chance of 2011 if it goes to $250 in the first half of next year and we don't have supply problems like we did for the first half of this year. Either way it probably won't be down by a whole lot next year if it does in fact get a $50 cut. And if it's a $50 but also a €100 cut than it almost certainly will be up.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

I think its probably this year 2010.

Ultimately the one factor most people seem happy to ignore is that this gen has already sold to 150 million people.

Even with growth there are only a finite number of people left to sell to.

I reckon the market left for new console sales is approx 70 million.

This has to be divided up between all manufacturers.

If Nintendo stay on course they will take about 33 million of these consumers leaving the HD Twins to fight over the remainder.

Sales are roughly split between the two and with probably 18 months left to run this gen I reckon that this next year will be the start of the decline for all three manufacturers.

Peak year is this year IMHO.

Either happened last year, or happening this year. I'm leaning towards 09 though.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.