By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad for the gamers?

Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:

Bad, now they'll remove even more features.

that joke is boring now

Logically, they'll remove all USB to prevent USB hacking. Then they'll remove wireless to make sure nobody sends it from their computer. And finally, they'll make a new CD system that doesn't allow DVDs!

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network
A Bad Clown said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:

that joke is boring now

Logically, they'll remove all USB to prevent USB hacking. Then they'll remove wireless to make sure nobody sends it from their computer. And finally, they'll make a new CD system that doesn't allow DVDs!

before the wireless thing

they will first have to do something for the DS3 charge

boring

Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:

that joke is boring now

boring

Charge stations like on the Move?

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

if someone can anwser my questions...

1) will these downloaded games support add-ons, trophies, and other DLC?

2) will these games be able to play online and be able to handle possible firmware updates for those games

3) in the video he inserted a game disc(s)(uncharted 2 and God of war 3) does this affect those games in anyway? and can any blu-ray disc be used?

4) also in the videos he seems to use a PS3 phat, does that mean it's aleast easier for this to work on phat PS3s than slims?

5) what exactly is this USB dongle?(what make it different than some regular ubs flashdrive/external HDD)

6) does it also support PS1,PS2,PSN games?( the 60gb models for PS2 games)

7) is there any type of region lock any certain type of games?

8) is their any type of data corruption involved with this?(I say this because I remember my friend downloaded a game on his PSP and it wiped everythiing

no one has to answer all my questions, I'm just interested  in this, not that I will be pirating games, I will continue buying them from retail stores and on the PSN.

Stan85 said:
Kantor said:
Rafux said:

Would you pay 150$ for this USB MOD? and you will still have to copy or download 50GB games, so it will be 150$ 100$ for a decent 1TB HDD = 250$ which you could use to buy 5 or 7 genuine games AND play them ONLINE without fear of getting your PS3 bricked.

Not to mention the fact that, as soon as Sony gets wind of this, you won't be able to play online or, indeed, connect to PSN in any way. No more trophies. No more online play. No more PS Store. Hell, no more games which require the new firmware.

It's pretty good work, way better than anyone else has done (even geohotz), but it's ridiculously flimsy.

Seems to me that some people just will not le go of the fact that the ps3 is...hacked.

It lasted a long time,it`s a very tricky machine for hackers,but...it got hacked.

All you need is a 160$ dongle and about 20-40gb free on your pc hdd and your ps3 hdd.

No mod chip,no Sony update that kills the dongle. Just the price of 3 ps3 games (160$).

It's been hacked. It's been hacked remarkably well. It hasn't been hacked in a way that will make piracy easy, and it hasn't been hacked in a way which would make the hack particularly difficult to remove.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Netyaroze said:

In worst case you will be able to copy the game directly from your PS3 to an external Harddrive. And the Software will be for free so most people could be able to start without even investing one dollar. 

so what else is the hack about

and you can also copy the game directly to your internal HDD

Yes you will be able to put a PS3 game into your PS3 and copy it directly to the internal Harddrive I think.

I had the luck that the PSX-SCENE forum loaded for a while. And I was able to read that there is a download manager where they said you have options if you press O the game copies directly to your PS3 Harddrive and it takes about 20 Minutes. 

They cant guarantee that it will work in the future afair all they can guarantee is that all games which require just the 3.41 or older FW will work.

Also trophies should work imo because there is no reason they shouldnt. 

But its still too soon to say anything I can just replicate what I read in that forum.

Thats a quote from the user which has the shop (ozmodchips):

Ok, so while its dumping I can post some info
this is how it works

You go into Game - and you see Backup manager
you enter into it, and it will give you a warning about piracy. 
Then you get a list of all the games you have dumped on your HDD, and also the game that is currently inside your drive

hover over a USB game, and you can press x to load, ot trianle to delete the game
Or X to load and O to backup if the disc is inside. 

If you want to load a game via USB you press Load...screen goes blank for about 5 seconds, reboots to the Ps3 dashboard, then you can see the game in there like its a disc. 

tada!

Edit everyone who is interested can read it directly here

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64935&page=1

Its actually a little confusing. I just read that those USB Drives are from HongKong I wonder who is the initiator

arcane_chaos said:

if someone can anwser my questions...

1) will these downloaded games support add-ons, trophies, and other DLC?

2) will these games be able to play online and be able to handle possible firmware updates for those games

3) in the video he inserted a game disc(s)(uncharted 2 and God of war 3) does this affect those games in anyway? and can any blu-ray disc be used?

4) also in the videos he seems to use a PS3 phat, does that mean it's aleast easier for this to work on phat PS3s than slims?

5) what exactly is this USB dongle?(what make it different than some regular ubs flashdrive/external HDD)

6) does it also support PS1,PS2,PSN games?( the 60gb models for PS2 games)

7) is there any type of region lock any certain type of games?

8) is their any type of data corruption involved with this?(I say this because I remember my friend downloaded a game on his PSP and it wiped everythiing

no one has to answer all my questions, I'm just interested  in this, not that I will be pirating games, I will continue buying them from retail stores and on the PSN.

From what I've seen so far...

1 - I'd guess yes for DLC and add-ons, no for trophies.

2 - No for obvious reasons. They say it will unlock any FW update, but that remains to be seen. I doubt it.

3 - It does not make any of a difference to have discs in there. Anyways, this mod does not support burned blu-rays. Just games out from the HDD with files smaller than 4GB. So FFXIII and MGS4 with their massive movies are safe for now.

4 - It is supposed to work all the same as long as you have FW 3.41

5 - Nobody knows exactly yet. Most likely it is just a common drive with Sony's own debug mode activator included into it. Soon the code could leak into the internet for free.

6 - I'd guess not. BTW debug mode does linclude a rudimentary PS2 emulator but nothing playable.

7 - Nope.

8 - Nope. Debug mode is already included in every PS3, they just managed to unlock it.

UPDATES -

There is a subtle difference on how it works for phats and slims. For the fats you just need to turn it on with the back switch, while for slims you have to remove the power cable before booting it.

DLC and add-ons seems to not be working, but online is so far.

You can't skip videos.

It is working with previous firmware versions.

A Bad Clown said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
A Bad Clown said:

that joke is boring now

boring

Charge stations like on the Move?

oh right they will now ban usb and then go on giving free change stations?

shows how much thinking you do before posting

Netyaroze said:

Its actually a little confusing. I just read that those USB Drives are from HongKong I wonder who is the initiator

once they leak online then they will be free