By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad for the gamers?

haxxiy said:
leo-j said:

so a random guy posts a video on the internet claiming he hacks it, and the entire gaming community claims it official and is happy..

its fake, they used a DEBUG old ps3 model which is running linux to use the USB pirate.. it's an obvious scam, if it could work on all ps3's they wouldn't have used a debug ps3.

The guys that posted the video are from a well-know store in Australia. They're even calling the doubters who live nearby to check my themselves. Besides, there has been another reports from both the community and sites. 

The mod itself is supposed to make the PS3 boot on debug mode so what you pointed out is just as valid as the flag waving in the moon argument.

Where are you getting that information from? And as far as I AM CONCERNED he didn't show the front side of the console.. so we don't know if it's a test unit or not..

mM
Around the Network
nightsurge said:
leo-j said:

so a random guy posts a video on the internet claiming he hacks it, and the entire gaming community claims it official and is happy..

its fake, they used a DEBUG old ps3 model which is running linux to use the USB pirate.. it's an obvious scam, if it could work on all ps3's they wouldn't have used a debug ps3.

It's not fake.

I'm sorry this is hard for you to accept.

1.  It's not a random guy, its a guy from a pretty big and respected modding community.

2.  They are testing the USB software hack that was developed on another pirating site.

3.  It works on both fat and slim with the latest updates installed.

4.  It loaded straight to the XMB to run the hack, not into Linux or anywhere else.  The hack then runs  off of the software on the USB, not linux or anything else on the PS3.

I'm sure there will be a video of a PS3 slim using the hack soon, to ease your concerns.

oh yes show your support and happiness that the ps3 is finally hacked! Lets throw a party..

1. This is HORRIBLE for the gaming industry, unless you live under a rock you know the PS2 which is hacked non stop now has barely ANY software sales.. but of course it is a last gen system so it's expected? The psp is having trouble.. and it's basically a dying platform when it comes to software sales.. and you support this?

2. According to who is he a very well known guy from a mod community?

3. Accoridng to who does this run on a ps3 slim?

4. According to who is this not a debug unit? Because running things off a USB is  ALLOWED on a debug unit, AND ACCORIDNG TO SONY and my sources YOU CANNOT GET INTO DEBUG MODE off retail ps3 units.

SO IDK what you people are trying to spin here, but this is an obvious FAKE.

The only way this would work is if he got a kit from a dev and manually installed the software into the ps3 for it to run debug.

We'll see..

mM
Netyaroze said:
Kantor said:

There is a modchip involved. It's just not a mod or a chip. It's a USB dongle. It's not like they're able to crack your PS3 through the fourth dimension or anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how the hack works. I probably am wrong, because Firefox isn't letting me anywhere near their website.

First, you put your Blu-ray into the PS3. Then, you copy all 20GB of data over onto the hard drive. Fair enough.

Now, let's see how this can lead to piracy.

First, you buy a handy Blu-ray drive for your computer. Then, you upload 20GB of data onto the internet. Then, someone at the other end, who, naturally, has a Blu-ray burner, downloads the 20GB and burns it onto the Blu-ray disc. They then put the disc into the PS3, copy all 20GB over, and then they can play the game.

I don't see this becoming very widespread.

Actually the bolded way is the same thing you do when you download a 360 game.

But btw I think most people will buy a 99 Dollar Bluray Drive buy a 1 Terabyte external HDD and rent 50 games for one day and copy them all to the external HDD give back the games to the rental store and keep the external HDD and thats it. Or who knows maybe you will be able to copy the games directly from your PS3 to the HDD without buying an extra Bluray drive.

So, they'll buy a $100 BD, a $300 external hard drive, a store which allows them to rent 50 games, 50 games to rent, not to mention the original $150 dongle...instead of just buying a regular game?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

leo-j said:
haxxiy said:
leo-j said:

The guys that posted the video are from a well-know store in Australia. They're even calling the doubters who live nearby to check my themselves. Besides, there has been another reports from both the community and sites. 

The mod itself is supposed to make the PS3 boot on debug mode so what you pointed out is just as valid as the flag waving in the moon argument.

Where are you getting that information from? And as far as I AM CONCERNED he didn't show the front side of the console.. so we don't know if it's a test unit or not..

Actually he made a second video because some people said it was a fake and you can see the front side of the PS3 also the PS3 and TV is all the time in the picture so it has to be a pretty good manipulation

leo-j said:
haxxiy said:
leo-j said:

From the PSX forums back when they were still working. I've got an australian friend who luckly was online on my messenger until some minutes ago, which I asked to phone ozmodchips and they said the same thing to him people have been posting in the internet. 

Oh, and there is another video uploaded where he shows the PS3 all the time and some. 

Anyways why would you care so much? It's not like you're a Sony stockholder. Besides, both X360 and Wii never lost any game due to piracy. It didn't kep the X360 from beating PS3 in almost any multiplat game sales, some of them well over the margin you'd expect just looking at HW sales.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

i hope this is just a romour

how can it be just a rumour when we have a video?????????

rumour are more of words and evidence

Kantor said:
Netyaroze said:
Kantor said:

There is a modchip involved. It's just not a mod or a chip. It's a USB dongle. It's not like they're able to crack your PS3 through the fourth dimension or anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how the hack works. I probably am wrong, because Firefox isn't letting me anywhere near their website.

First, you put your Blu-ray into the PS3. Then, you copy all 20GB of data over onto the hard drive. Fair enough.

Now, let's see how this can lead to piracy.

First, you buy a handy Blu-ray drive for your computer. Then, you upload 20GB of data onto the internet. Then, someone at the other end, who, naturally, has a Blu-ray burner, downloads the 20GB and burns it onto the Blu-ray disc. They then put the disc into the PS3, copy all 20GB over, and then they can play the game.

I don't see this becoming very widespread.

Actually the bolded way is the same thing you do when you download a 360 game.

But btw I think most people will buy a 99 Dollar Bluray Drive buy a 1 Terabyte external HDD and rent 50 games for one day and copy them all to the external HDD give back the games to the rental store and keep the external HDD and thats it. Or who knows maybe you will be able to copy the games directly from your PS3 to the HDD without buying an extra Bluray drive.

So, they'll buy a $100 BD, a $300 external hard drive, a store which allows them to rent 50 games, 50 games to rent, not to mention the original $150 dongle...instead of just buying a regular game?

1.5 Terabyte external harddrive 99 Euro amazon

Dongle= 120 Euro

Bluray drive 50-70 Euro

total about 300 Euro all Amazon except the USB thing.

Renting 75 games about 80-100 Euro

total cost:

380 Euro

Total cost for 75 games about 4000-4500 Euro.

Yes I think if it works a lot of people will do it. I even think if Sony cant stop it then there will be 40 Euro USB solutions from everyone pretty soon. People will download those 20gb games and wont even need to rent them or buy a bluray drive.

If sony cant stop it and this is indeed true it will have horrible effects for Sony and I am absolutely against it. But this solution is so easy and comfortable if true that I think you will see piracy increasing rapidly in the future. It actually pisses me off since I hoped there wont be any piracy in the future. But as some mentioned the Bluraydrive of the PS3 was already dumped by demonhades or who ever is responsible for that. 

leo-j said:

oh comeon leo-j

yeah it would be right to say they did it with old PS3's but how can you just call it fake

Rafux said:

Would you pay 150$ for this USB MOD? and you will still have to copy or download 50GB games, so it will be 150$ 100$ for a decent 1TB HDD = 250$ which you could use to buy 5 or 7 genuine games AND play them ONLINE without fear of getting your PS3 bricked.

or we can just buy a$100 USB mod(already avialable at cheaper price)

and just run it off your internal drive(they have coonfirmed that you can run it off both)

and play all PS3 games

and online(atleast atm)

AND JUST DON'T UPDATE FIRMWARE(no PS3 bricking)

arcane_chaos said:

the person seems to have an older PS3, does it work with the PS3 slim?

they are claiming it but no video of the SLIM hack till now

actually I just saw the 2nd video.. it isn't a debug unit.. and the austrailian mod retailer which is very reliable is selling the usb now.. looks like it may be legit..

apparently it works on 3.41 and on PSN..

$169.99 is the price, but It wouldn't suprise me if sony releases a new firmware within the next 48 hours.. they killed linux rapidly when geohot released his hacking video..

mM
leo-j said:
nightsurge said:
leo-j said:

It's not fake.

I'm sorry this is hard for you to accept.

1.  It's not a random guy, its a guy from a pretty big and respected modding community.

2.  They are testing the USB software hack that was developed on another pirating site.

3.  It works on both fat and slim with the latest updates installed.

4.  It loaded straight to the XMB to run the hack, not into Linux or anywhere else.  The hack then runs  off of the software on the USB, not linux or anything else on the PS3.

I'm sure there will be a video of a PS3 slim using the hack soon, to ease your concerns.

oh yes show your support and happiness that the ps3 is finally hacked! Lets throw a party..

1. This is HORRIBLE for the gaming industry, unless you live under a rock you know the PS2 which is hacked non stop now has barely ANY software sales.. but of course it is a last gen system so it's expected? The psp is having trouble.. and it's basically a dying platform when it comes to software sales.. and you support this?

2. According to who is he a very well known guy from a mod community?

3. Accoridng to who does this run on a ps3 slim?

4. According to who is this not a debug unit? Because running things off a USB is  ALLOWED on a debug unit, AND ACCORIDNG TO SONY and my sources YOU CANNOT GET INTO DEBUG MODE off retail ps3 units.

SO IDK what you people are trying to spin here, but this is an obvious FAKE.

The only way this would work is if he got a kit from a dev and manually installed the software into the ps3 for it to run debug.

We'll see..

Read the news article on this site, as well as arstechnica and other places.  It answers all of your doubts.

Trust me, this isn't fake and it isn't a debug unit as someone else posted pictures of the different housing a debug unit has.

And i'm not saying I support this, I'm just saying your unwillingness to accept it is a little silly.