By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad for the gamers?

arcane_chaos said:

if someone can anwser my questions...

1) will these downloaded games support add-ons, trophies, and other DLC?

yes

2) will these games be able to play online and be able to handle possible firmware updates for those games

play online yes

if SONY does something in next FW update then nobody knows

but it can atleast stop SONY from forcing you to do a FW update

3) in the video he inserted a game disc(s)(uncharted 2 and God of war 3) does this affect those games in anyway? and can any blu-ray disc be used?

no,he just inserted it to show that this was the PS3 that was connected to the TV and not some other.thats why the icon appeared when he inserted the disc

and no blu-ray disc isn't needed

4) also in the videos he seems to use a PS3 phat, does that mean it's aleast easier for this to work on phat PS3s than slims?

not really,they are saying it works on both

if they have hacked it then it will run smoothly on SLIM too,nothing different

5) what exactly is this USB dongle?(what make it different than some regular ubs flashdrive/external HDD)

regular USB drive

6) does it also support PS1,PS2,PSN games?( the 60gb models for PS2 games)

not now but they are working on it

7) is there any type of region lock any certain type of games?

all PS3 games are region free

8) is their any type of data corruption involved with this?(I say this because I remember my friend downloaded a game on his PSP and it wiped everythiing

nobody knows as everybody has just seen the videos and read on their forums,etc

Around the Network

thank you haxxiy and Solid_Snake4RD for answering my questions

I'm surprised that so many people in this thread are actually supportive of this thing, weird, I thought VGChartz had a better class of people and were exempt from pirates, guess I was wrong.

Anyway, this isn't a good thing, hopefully Sony can stop it and I hope that every PS3 that attempts it bursts into flames.... yup ,theft is bad.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Soriku said:
Doobie_wop said:

I'm surprised that so many people in this thread are actually supportive of this thing, weird, I thought VGChartz had a better class of people and were exempt from pirates, guess I was wrong.

Anyway, this isn't a good thing, hopefully Sony can stop it and I hope that every PS3 that attempts it bursts into flames.... yup ,theft is bad.

Hacking doesn't always mean piracy...

but piracy always involves hacking........

Soriku said:
Doobie_wop said:

It is the intended purpose else what's the point of hacking the console? Just play your paid for games from the disc like everyone else and be happy you get that game instead of the company making it making no money from the people who do steal it and so your nice developer goes out of business and having no games to play.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

how does hacking makes us pirates??????????????

hacking can be used for many many other things too

and actually atleast from myside more money will go into dev's pockets

first i only bought games that impressed me and pulled me in and didn't even think about buying the rest as they are costly

but now i will atleast try them and if i find them to be good,will buy a copy so the smaller game devs will get more money from my side than they did before

the big games will already be getting my money as before

and there are many other things like homebrew,BD play,etc that can be further developed on the hacks

for example my relative lives in another country brought me a pack of BD movies,but they didn't work on my PS3 as they were from a different region

The Fury said:
Soriku said:
Doobie_wop said:

It is the intended purpose else what's the point of hacking the console? Just play your paid for games from the disc like everyone else and be happy you get that game instead of the company making it making no money from the people who do steal it and so your nice developer goes out of business and having no games to play.

homebrew,backing up your games for own use if disc damages,BD movies from different region

Soriku said:

This doesn't allow for fan translations does it?

IMO, it could in future. Something like JTAGed X360 allows to play modded games (Tales of Vesperia UNDUB, ehh).

@ solid snake i know you dont mean to use it in a harmfull way but you are one in a million dude

@soriku, technically you could but you would have to disect the japaneese game translate it recompile then transfer it to an hdd and load it up on ur ps3

one thing is it said it worked with external hdds so all you would have to do is back up a bluray disc from your ps3, then use a computer and downoad games and put em in the same directory as the one you backedup yourself.

This could be a huge dsaster for sony and damn near anyone expecting for ps3 releases, with the ease of the exploit any peice of shit would pirate games for it. Theres one douche that comes into my gamestop store looks around and makes a list of 360 games then goes home and downloads em all, and not once has he made a purchase...

almcchesney said:

@ solid snake i know you dont mean to use it in a harmfull way but you are one in a million dude

most of the hardcore gamers and alot on this site would do the same

yeah who don't have a PS3 or just bought it and have few games would misuse it