By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - wot ur opinion on the european union?

I really don't want to get involved with proper politics (child tax credit disc for sale £40k...good price) but i do have a couple of points.

1. The UK should start using the Euro currency.
2. We should get a standardisation of measurement, all this inches/pints/miles stuff should be dropped.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

Bad things about the EU (I'm from The Netherlands btw):

-EU doesn't want us to take the lead in greenhouse friendly technologies cuzz then it'd be 'false competition' for foreign companies which would be unable to compete with us. (Example: Filters for greenhousegas emissions in cars, European court overruled our governments decision).

this isnt completely true the uk is the only country in the world to have a law that say by 2050 there will be a 60% cut in co2 emissions

Only the English use Inches, Feet etc...

The rest uses 'Meters' Centimeters etc...!

THE NETHERLANDS

i love xbox 360 said:
StarcraftManiac said:

Bad things about the EU (I'm from The Netherlands btw):

-EU doesn't want us to take the lead in greenhouse friendly technologies cuzz then it'd be 'false competition' for foreign companies which would be unable to compete with us. (Example: Filters for greenhousegas emissions in cars, European court overruled our governments decision).

this isnt completely true the uk is the only country in the world to have a law that say by 2050 there will be a 60% cut in co2 emissions

Netherlands: We cut our emissions 10% before 2012... That's a start!

But hey, that has nothing to do with forcing companies to integrate environement-friendly technology into Dutch cars which i was talking about

THE NETHERLANDS

superchunk said:
I think the whole world should be one Nation. Therefore the more Nations unionize the better. The EU could be the basis of that platform, however, it does need reform. Specifically it needs to gain more power over the individual States/Nations.

I assume that you'd at least want some kind of federal system so that regions would have some level of autonomy.

The tricky thing with federal systems is trying to balance power between the central and regional governments. A powerful central government can lead to a tyranny over regions with fewer votes. Powerful regional governments can lead to a government paralyzed by petty regional differences.

Trying to set up a balance between levels of government can lead to unintended consequences. The USA was intended to have a relatively weak federal government. Today their federal government is far more powerful than the states. Canada was meant to have a very strong federal government. But nowadays there's little the Canadian federal government can do if the provinces don't approve.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Well, it's no wonder that in the UK the EU isn't considered that much of a blessing, the economy is overall stronger, as can be seen with the pound vs euro ratings. For us Poles, it's a chance to finally get our economy going in the right direction, 45 years of communism can really make a mess with any country. For me, the EU is a great way to move around the continent without having too much problems. The Schengen treaty is a bliss in this case.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

TWRoO said:
I really don't want to get involved with proper politics (child tax credit disc for sale £40k...good price) but i do have a couple of points.

1. The UK should start using the Euro currency.
2. We should get a standardisation of measurement, all this inches/pints/miles stuff should be dropped.

Bollocks to that. And bollocks to the EU as well. There's too much inteference in local law from Brussells as it is, its turning into a fucking nanny state. Trade agreements yes, but single european law - No thanks.

why so mistershine? give me a reason why metric is inferior.

keep in mind i never said anything about an Eu wide law or anything, i just hate Imperial measure.... i agree each country should have their own laws... but then they do, the Eu doesn't blanket a single set of laws over Europe, some laws are made for all the countries but most are not.

Many of you know that I am from Switzerland, so it may be interesting what I think about the EU since Switzerland isn't participating.

First of all, I want to say that I'd like to see Switzerland beeing a member of the EU, there are a lot of economical advantages inside the Union.

But I also understand why a lot of people in Switzerland don't want to take part, and here are some reasons.
-Firstly, Switzerland would have to give up its currency which would be a bad thing imo. I think it was a good thing to have only one currency in the EU, but Swiss Francs are an important currency globally. Earler, it used to be the dollar, the pound, the mark, the yen and the swiss francs that were stable currencies, other currencies had inflation problems. Now, the euro has taken the mark's place, but dollar and pound were not too stable recently. But the world economy needs more than one stable currency, and because of that I think it is important that Switzerland stays independent in this question.

-Second, Switzerland has some trade barriers to protect some branches, especially farmers. This is not a good thing, but a lot of people are profiting from that and are against the EU because of it.

-The most important point and also the biggest problem the EU has in my opinion is its lack of democracy. It wouldn't be too difficult to have more democracy, it would only require a more federalistic system. But it doesn't seem the EU will get that soon.

These are my thoughts on the EU, they are quite random it seems now that I read through them again...

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

TWRoO said:
why so mistershine? give me a reason why metric is inferior.

because we are british and we like to be different