By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - wot ur opinion on the european union?

why do we follow the US so obediently then?

Around the Network

The EU would be good if they finally became a single country. U cant be the same market same law without admitting you are going to be one country. If they decide to allow all Western governments to join and stuff that would be the ultimate antithesis to the rise of China however it will cause much more tension in the world.

"Like you know"

EU as an truly united entity would be more powerful than the US and even the upcoming Chinese. The downside is that it's difficult to put into a single nation some of it's sub-entities (France-Germany, Greece-Turkey, Bulgary-Albania, UK-Ireland). It will be tough to maintain integrity and unison at first, but I think it will seriously blossom after some decades.

TWRoO said:

because the uk and american people are so similar, remember we created america.

America is named after an Irishman i believe.

Also surely they should be following us by your logic.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
superchunk said:
I think the whole world should be one Nation. Therefore the more Nations unionize the better. The EU could be the basis of that platform, however, it does need reform. Specifically it needs to gain more power over the individual States/Nations.

I assume that you'd at least want some kind of federal system so that regions would have some level of autonomy.

The tricky thing with federal systems is trying to balance power between the central and regional governments. A powerful central government can lead to a tyranny over regions with fewer votes. Powerful regional governments can lead to a government paralyzed by petty regional differences.

Trying to set up a balance between levels of government can lead to unintended consequences. The USA was intended to have a relatively weak federal government. Today their federal government is far more powerful than the states. Canada was meant to have a very strong federal government. But nowadays there's little the Canadian federal government can do if the provinces don't approve.

Initially, there would have to be a strong regional system. However, I would want a much stronger federal where each regional had on equal vote. This way, no culture can claim priority over another, and all must be held equal.

TWRoO said:
America is named after an Irishman i believe.

Also surely they should be following us by your logic.

well the uk and ireland are similar to remember we used to be the same country 2

100 post 'yay'  

i love xbox 360 said:
TWRoO said:

because the uk and american people are so similar, remember we created america.

created = slaughtered all the locals and established in a forceful manner.

I live in UK to & yes here it is ANTI-EU!!

as for my opinion, I am on neither side

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

I have italian nationality so I'm part of the EU, but I'm venezuelan and I'm thinking aboiut living in Europe someday but I'm not sure. The biggest problem the EU has right now (well I studied enonomic and politic moves of the 20th century and is considered by many the biggest problem) is that they integrated so many countries in a very short time, countries that did not have a politic or economic stability and can't compete with the more industralized countries of the EU. Actually the EU 15 didn't want to integrate these countries (from eastern Europe) so fast, but US pressured EU's leaders to accept that integration because Russia was and is getting more powerful and could attract eastern europe again to form their own coalition. Right now we see a lot of people from the east migrating to west Europe and some countries just cannot match the market of the big potencies.

By the way, I've heard that some european countries that don't belong to the EU (like switzerland, iceland, norway and other scandinavian countries) want to be on the Euro zone because their porpietary currency makes it difficult to market their products competitevely. Is that correct?