By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - wot ur opinion on the european union?

interesting infos lightbleeder, I didn't know that the USA wanted to have a bigger EU. It sounds reasonable though.

I can tell you that Switzerland does not want to be part of the Euro Zone, we are very happy with our CHF's.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
America is named after an Irishman i believe.

Also surely they should be following us by your logic.

America is named after Americo Vespucio who was the first man to see land on Columbus' journey to America, he saw some island on the Caribbean I believe.

America is not a country by the way, America is a whole continent that is divided strategically into North, Central, South and the Caribbean. People from the United States call themselves american just because european inmigrators (from 17th and 18th centuries I believe) called the United States "America" referring to the whole continent, but the name sticked locally and that's why US people use it as their name. But I'm form South America so I guess that makes me an american right??

I realise that Lightbleeder, but the USA wasn't named by Americo Vespucio, he named America as a whole.

I am often trying to tell people that America mean the whole two continents, in the same way i tell people that England i not officially a country but part of the United Kingdom, and that Holland is actually part of the Netherlands, not a seperate country.

I remember reading something (something to do with holidays) in which "New York", "France" and "Africa" were pretty much named as equals, i think it is funny people can equate a city to a country or even a whole continent, even if it is just for holiday destinations.

nintendo_fanboy said:
interesting infos lightbleeder, I didn't know that the USA wanted to have a bigger EU. It sounds reasonable though.

I can tell you that Switzerland does not want to be part of the Euro Zone, we are very happy with our CHF's.

I believe US doesn't want any competition, but this time it had to choose between having a democratic competitor or a not so democratic competitor. They just can't let Russia take the countries from the USSR again because they don't trust that Russia has a democracy, and we all know Europe is very democratic, way more than US.

Oh I'm sorry TWRoO I thought you meant all America. Well it doesn't really bother me that US people call themselves american, I do it too, we're all americans! Hehehe. (well sometimes I say I'm south american or latin american)

What would be the correct name for US people by the way? United Statians??

I'm sure you all know this but in South America we call you gringos, but I believe some take it as an insult I really don't know why... 

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

I believe US doesn't want any competition, but this time it had to choose between having a democratic competitor or a not so democratic competitor. They just can't let Russia take the countries from the USSR again because they don't trust that Russia has a democracy, and we all know Europe is very democratic, way more than US.

Democarcy was born in Europe, here in Greece actually.

I'm a middle of the road politics supporter, maybe somewhat inclined to the right. I like democracies with heavy taxing that gives you the freedom to do any economic activity you want with monopolies prohibited, healthy competition is always good. Also the government should be in charge of health, education and security of the people, but allowing private hospitals and schools to exist. Freedom of speech with civil and human rights must always be priorities!

I like heavy taxing because it works in countries like Norway and Iceland to meet the basic people's needs instead of letting them waste their money on several Ipods and clothes they don't use, like in US hehehe.

PS: sorry if I offended someone from US I know not all of you waste your money and do use it wisely, but the majority of people from US are just working and consuming machines that wake up in the morning go to work then shop then sleep, and they live almost all their lives with debt (like from college, insurances, other medical bills, credit card bills, mortgage....)

Debt is a major problem in American society, and it's very strongly encouraged by all the businesses so I doubt it'll get better soon. Maybe the mortgage crisis will bring people to their senses ... but I doubt it.

As for the EU -- I think it's a good idea, but I also think that eventually (and sooner than you think) you'll have to decide whether to be a closely-knit Union or be just a loose confederacy forever.

And I think we're called Americans because (as others have said) no other decent appellation was available.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

lightbleeder said:
TWRoO said:
America is named after an Irishman i believe.

Also surely they should be following us by your logic.

America is named after Americo Vespucio who was the first man to see land on Columbus' journey to America, he saw some island on the Caribbean I believe.

America is not a country by the way, America is a whole continent that is divided strategically into North, Central, South and the Caribbean. People from the United States call themselves american just because european inmigrators (from 17th and 18th centuries I believe) called the United States "America" referring to the whole continent, but the name sticked locally and that's why US people use it as their name. But I'm form South America so I guess that makes me an american right??

Close, but not quite.  His name was Amerigo Vespucci, and he was a map maker in the late 15th century and early 16th century.  He was one of the first people to chart the new world, and since his name was on the maps, it was often associated with the new land.

Americans is the accepted term for people from USA, but the country is called U.S.A not America.

I'm sure i remember something about an Irishman from watching QI though.... but i can't find it.

Anyone else watch the show?