By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - wot ur opinion on the european union?

im from the uk and my country has to be 1 of the most anti eu countries in the eu, most people just dont see the advantages of the eu.

i just wanted to no wot other europeans thought of the eu is a good or bad thing?

Around the Network

I'm fully support increased European integration in order to stay competitive with the rest of the world.

That being said, it has a crapload of problems, the most prominent being that most people don't really care about it much.

i agree 1 of the good things is that the eu economy is bigger than the usa, so if we had a eu president we could be the next superpower

Im a wierd, right-wing American but.......

On one hand, it's important to unify Europeans, as their differences have been so vast, it's caused many, many inter-country issues over the past...........Well......Forever.

So intergration is very good in some ways, as it puts bad differences aside.

However, at the same time, I'd hate to see the various wonderful European countries loose their autonomy for an American-style system. The United States of America works because we are 1 country, made up of 1 people, not 14-16 countries made up of many languages, and such. It works for us very great, but we've forced so much intergration, after 250 years, everyone thinks "oh wow, this happened overnight".

But everyone forgets the price America has paid to reach it's union - millions of people slaughtered in the Indian Wars. Knife fights in congress, wars between states (Ohio and Michigan went to war over Toledo...nearly got alot of milita killed). But in the end, we've become great for the price oh-so many paid.

IMO, I'm really against a full American-style union in Europe. There's just too much good differences between the nations - you can't let a bureaucratic Frenchman dictate English law, and vice versa....They are 2 totally different cultures. Americans speak 1 language, and our culture is so diverse, but still American culture, even if it's redneck, black ebonics, or stuck-up white people.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I think the whole world should be one Nation. Therefore the more Nations unionize the better. The EU could be the basis of that platform, however, it does need reform. Specifically it needs to gain more power over the individual States/Nations.

Around the Network

I'm not sure if a unified currency was a good move. It's good for promoting trade within the EU, but different economies require different monetary policy. What's good monetary policy for France may not be good for Poland.

Basically, you're trading flexibility for efficiency, and I'm not sure if the trade is worth it for all member states.

I think a unified military would have more advantages and fewer disadvantages, but it looks like that change is a long way off, now.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

EU as a block Economy-wise against China or the US is necessary to remain a top possition in this world! If not every single country would'nt be able to rival for example China!

So in that way, i think it's good, and necessary!

Bad things about the EU (I'm from The Netherlands btw):

-EU doesn't want us to take the lead in greenhouse friendly technologies cuzz then it'd be 'false competition' for foreign companies which would be unable to compete with us. (Example: Filters for greenhousegas emissions in cars, European court overruled our governments decision).

Opening of borders also is bad for us cuzz 20 years ago, LOADS of people came from Marocco or Turkey etc to our country. A lot of the kids those people got hate us and The Netherlands... Don't ask me why cuzz they took full advantage of our wealth and are still complaining... Pfff... But now, the same thing is happening with people from Eastern Europe!... (Btw: I don't hate those people in any way...)

Another good thing about the EU though is the Euro's strengh on the Ww market (Dollar is dying, FAST! Muhahahaha )...

But The Euro made our prices go up WAY too much!... I think that's really sad cuzz our government 'ensured' us that that wouldn't happen.

THE NETHERLANDS

one of the main problems with full intergration is the lanuage barrier, there are hundreds of differnt lanuages in the eu. 1 solution would be to make english the universal lanuage (51% of europeans speak english) of the eu but the french wont like this so its never gonna happen

one of the main problems with full intergration is the lanuage barrier, there are hundreds of differnt lanuages in the eu. 1 solution would be to make english the universal lanuage (51% of europeans speak english) of the eu but the french wont like this so its never gonna happen

i love xbox 360 said:

49% CAN'T speak English?!

I'm from The Netherlands but i could speak English when i was 7 years old...

I can speak perfectely English (I'm not an adult).

Problem is: Alot of people in my own country that came from other (less wealthy) countries don't wish to 'integrate' and can't even speak Dutch. I spit on those people! I think it's really sad to take advantage of a country's economy and live there and not addapt!

THE NETHERLANDS