By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's Talk About Mass Effect 2 (General Thread) - Now For Sony Fans, Too

SecondWar said:

Im on my first play-through of the game, and having not played the first game, its hard to tell how much influence your decisions are having. So far I recruited the Doctor who was curing the plague in Omega without any problems. The next guy (cant remember names so bare with me) was building some sort of supersoldier as part of his 'legacy'. He ended up getting killed so my team extracted his soldier who was still in its stasis tank. Also managed to get Archangel, who was also nearly killed in the process.

Is that pretty much how its always turns out or can other decisions vary the outcome and to what degree? Curious as Im pretty new to the series.

The way missions start tend to be identical regardless of your decisions. There was no way for you to get trough without Archangel nearly dying, for instance.

I do recommend playing the first game if at all possible, but let me know what you think of this one, having started fresh on it.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
SecondWar said:

Im on my first play-through of the game, and having not played the first game, its hard to tell how much influence your decisions are having. So far I recruited the Doctor who was curing the plague in Omega without any problems. The next guy (cant remember names so bare with me) was building some sort of supersoldier as part of his 'legacy'. He ended up getting killed so my team extracted his soldier who was still in its stasis tank. Also managed to get Archangel, who was also nearly killed in the process.

Is that pretty much how its always turns out or can other decisions vary the outcome and to what degree? Curious as Im pretty new to the series.

The way missions start tend to be identical regardless of your decisions. There was no way for you to get trough without Archangel nearly dying, for instance.

I do recommend playing the first game if at all possible, but let me know what you think of this one, having started fresh on it.

You know what I just realized? My memory totally sucks. I played a bit of ME2 on 360 a few months back, but I remember almost nothing.

I know about Shepard's reconstrution, Miranda and the Illusive man, but I cant remember the name of any other character or quest.

In fact, I tend to forget games completely after playing them. I see some people who play RPGs knowing the name of every character, boss and item and it amazes me.

Though in a way this is good - the game will be fresh right from the start for me

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Another thing - I just realized that Yvonne Strahovski form Chuck plays Miranda. Id see her and find her familiar but wanst sure.

The character looks exactly like her.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Khuutra said:

Mild spoilers in this post.

This is your one warning.

Okay, time for potential spoiler-y discussion.... now.

I'm playing through the first game again and was looking at the planet Klendagon, which is the world orbited by the moon where you have to take out (or negotiate with) that biotic cult - it's in the Century system of the Hawking Eta Cluster.

Interesting note about klendagon: its southern hemispere has an enormous gouge in it made by a 37-million-year-old mass accelerator blast. The blast was so powerful that it's kind of hinted that it's what formed the planet's moon. This, of course, is the shot that probably killed the derelict Reaper.

I find that immensely interesting.

As in, "What the hell has that much power... And when do I get to use it!?"

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

I'm playing through the first game again and was looking at the planet Klendagon, which is the world orbited by the moon where you have to take out (or negotiate with) that biotic cult - it's in the Century system of the Hawking Eta Cluster.

Interesting note about klendagon: its southern hemispere has an enormous gouge in it made by a 37-million-year-old mass accelerator blast. The blast was so powerful that it's kind of hinted that it's what formed the planet's moon. This, of course, is the shot that probably killed the derelict Reaper.

You avatr reminds me that Valkyria Chronicles 2 is njot for the PS3 and I dont have a PSP

But I will have Mass effect 2 to keep me going

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

That's one potential weapon against the Reapers, yeah, though being able to fire it that many times isn't very likely. Cerberus has found the weapon, though. That could be trouble in the future.

Of course, I don't think that's how we're ultimately going to stop the Reaper threat.

Khuutra said:
SecondWar said:

This is really the first RPG Ive ever played on the 360, as I generally preferred shooters and adventure games. To start with I was finding it hard to get engage in it, then I figured out the control scheme and am enjoying it a lot more now. Being a more shooter focused RPG probably appeals more to my taste. First indication of how decision could affect the story was when I examined the Krogan in the Cargo hold, as I restarted my console to see if I could change it.

So far Im finding it pretty good, cant really comment on the story as Ive not got too far into it. There are games Ive enjoyed more, but Ive played games that have been much worse. Definitely worth the buy, seeing as by now the price has fallen since launch.

Unlikely to pick up the first game, mainly as Halo Reach releases soon and by the time I get to grips with that, Assassins Creed Brotherhood will be out, as those are my favourite two series. Also I dont really like going back and picking up games that are several years old, its what deterred me from the first Gears game.

marciosmg said:
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

You avatr reminds me that Valkyria Chronicles 2 is njot for the PS3 and I dont have a PSP

Sorry

I'm seriously thinking about buying a PSP just for VC2

Anyway. Anyone who likes RPG's at all who hasn't already played this should definitely play it. 100%. Would recommend it to anyone.

Carl2291 said:
marciosmg said:

Sorry

Anyway. Anyone who likes RPG's at all who hasn't already played this should definitely play it. 100%. Would recommend it to anyone.

For curiosity's sake: did you play the first one?

Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
marciosmg said:

Sorry

For curiosity's sake: did you play the first one?

Yeah I did. 690 GS.

For some reason though there is an error with my game/game data. I played it through on Hardcore, all the way from the start... No changing. And it wouldn't accept that I'd beaten it ON Hardcore. Or it might have been Insanity. I forget which one comes first.

Anyway, it pissed me off, majorly