By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic Center

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
superchunk said:
Lostplanet22 said:
kaneada said:

I think its a great idea to build a Mosque near ground zero. I am certain in the thousands of people who died some of the people were Muslim and lets face facts we need to unify this country under the idea that we tolerate and accept the beliefs and way of life of others. Isn't that what America is supposed to be?

Wasn't America supposed to be an big supporter of freedom of speech but showed the world it is throwing it away? (Aka South Park episode) tolerance should come frome both sides not one;..otherwise you get situations like in Europe where people get beating, killed simply for giving some critic against the islam..;.

Just because one party is being ignorant and intolerant, we as Americans shouldn't throw our values out the window and stoop to their level. We should lead by example and continue to do what is right.

kaneada
Lostplanet22
superchunk

i couldn't have said it better if i said it myself

I agree with what he said. What's right, is to allow them to build it, and then bitch about it as loud as we can, if we don't like it.

I for one don't care if it's built or not. But calling the millions of people who care somehow un-american for speaking there minds, is crazy.

No one, on either side, has said they should not have a right to build it. Some people just think it's a really stupid thing to do.

The point of America, is to have a lot of different views about things. If your looking for a country where everyone has to agree on something, you need to look elsewhere.

Around the Network

@SuperChunk

From your post:

"It's also gaining traction in the world press, with Muslims coming down both for and against the proposed center two blocks from the former World Trade Center."

Why am I a bigot intolerant right wing nut job for having the same view as many Muslims?

TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Odd that you feel this way over this issue. Being I have the same opinion on it as Obama.

He said when he commented on the center, he was only talking about the legality of it (and we have the same opinion legally), he said he was not commenting on the wisdom of it. This was made in defense of his comments, meaning he must not think it's a very wise move (same as me).

Sorry you dislike Obama and I for having this view, but that's the way we see it.

I think his latest comments and those by many politicians, are simply rhetoric due to the entire conflict as they don't want to appear being against the perceived majority.

The fact remains that the entire debate is pointless and a hoopla over what is in reality nothing but right-wing propoganda from Islamaphobia idiots who would rather shred the Constitution so they could rewrite it according to their own extremist points of view.

Just look at how it was originially sold to the masses as being 'on' or 'at' ground zero which is completely false. On top of that they continue to slander an Imam who is not even close to terrorist ideologies.

If it's just right wing propaganda hoopla that means nothing, who cares? Why should Obama be so weak minded if he really thinks building it is a good idea, only to please a few right wing nut jobs?

Your not making much sense.

No, its that right wing 1/2 truth crap that has built up an overall media partial information peice that allowed a large number of people to think this is really some issue to stand against. That has forced politicians, who may or may not believe in what they are actually saying, to be political and continuously say what is most popular.

Obama took a good stand on the legality, but I think he bowed to the popular idea that it in itself is somehow wrong.

TheRealMafoo said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
superchunk said:
Lostplanet22 said:
kaneada said:

I think its a great idea to build a Mosque near ground zero. I am certain in the thousands of people who died some of the people were Muslim and lets face facts we need to unify this country under the idea that we tolerate and accept the beliefs and way of life of others. Isn't that what America is supposed to be?

Wasn't America supposed to be an big supporter of freedom of speech but showed the world it is throwing it away? (Aka South Park episode) tolerance should come frome both sides not one;..otherwise you get situations like in Europe where people get beating, killed simply for giving some critic against the islam..;.

Just because one party is being ignorant and intolerant, we as Americans shouldn't throw our values out the window and stoop to their level. We should lead by example and continue to do what is right.

kaneada
Lostplanet22
superchunk

i couldn't have said it better if i said it myself

I agree with what he said. What's right, is to allow them to build it, and then bitch about it as loud as we can, if we don't like it.

2.I for one don't care if it's built or not. But calling the millions of people who care somehow un-american for speaking there minds, is crazy.

3.No one, on either side, has said they should not have a right to build it. Some people just think it's a really stupid thing to do.

The point of America, is to have a lot of different views about things. If your looking for a country where everyone has to agree on something, you need to look elsewhere.

last sentence not needed. i read your post aswell(all of them)and i am agreeable to them which i didn't think would be possible, but none like some i give you credit for your veiws and post. i may not completly agree with you but the fact that we agree on the constitution and alittle less on how we personaly fill about it we've found commen ground.

it maynot be the sane thing to do which i definatly don't think it is, but it can be done which we agree on. 

2. i don't care either as long as the law is being followed
3. you're right from what i can tell, nobody said they don't have the right to build (somebody did say they shouldn't, but thats not debatable). i think it's stupid to, but i can live with it!

superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Odd that you feel this way over this issue. Being I have the same opinion on it as Obama.

He said when he commented on the center, he was only talking about the legality of it (and we have the same opinion legally), he said he was not commenting on the wisdom of it. This was made in defense of his comments, meaning he must not think it's a very wise move (same as me).

Sorry you dislike Obama and I for having this view, but that's the way we see it.

I think his latest comments and those by many politicians, are simply rhetoric due to the entire conflict as they don't want to appear being against the perceived majority.

The fact remains that the entire debate is pointless and a hoopla over what is in reality nothing but right-wing propoganda from Islamaphobia idiots who would rather shred the Constitution so they could rewrite it according to their own extremist points of view.

Just look at how it was originially sold to the masses as being 'on' or 'at' ground zero which is completely false. On top of that they continue to slander an Imam who is not even close to terrorist ideologies.

If it's just right wing propaganda hoopla that means nothing, who cares? Why should Obama be so weak minded if he really thinks building it is a good idea, only to please a few right wing nut jobs?

No, its that right wing 1/2 truth crap that has built up an overall media partial information peice that allowed a large number of people to think this is really some issue to stand against. That has forced politicians, who may or may not believe in what they are actually saying, to be political and continuously say what is most popular.

Obama took a good stand on the legality, but I think he bowed to the popular idea that it in itself is somehow wrong.

lol, Obama didn't take a "good stand" on the legality... he just said what everyone is saying. NO ONE SAYS IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO BUILD!!!

I don't know how to make that any more clear.

And what your telling me, is all those Muslims who are against it are listening to conservative talk radio, and watching Fox News? Come on man. Your smarter then that.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:

lol, Obama didn't take a "good stand" on the legality... he just said what everyone is saying. NO ONE SAYS IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO BUILD!!!

And what your telling me, is all those Muslims who are against it are listening to conservative talk radio, and watching Fox News? Come on man. Your smarter then that.

last full sentence. i can agree with that. if they had the time they wouldn't watch fox news or conservative radio.

superchunk

listen to what the guy is saying, and stop betting a dead horse.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

last full sentence. i can agree with that. if they had the time they wouldn't watch fox news or conservative radio.

superchunk

Thanks Marcus, and for what you said in your post before this one.

God, I can't stand this stupid debate. It should be a non-issue, but of course the media blew it out of proportion so they have some new drama to bump up their ratings.

1. It's not at Ground Zero, it's 2 blocks away.
2. There's already a mosque 4 blocks away that nobody seems to care about.
3. It's being built in an old Burlington Coat Factory. Hardly sacred ground, but I guess "Burlington Coat Factory Mosque" doesn't have the same inflammatory effect.
4. It's not even a mosque, it's an Islamic activity center with a mosque in it.
5. They own the land, they can build whatever they want there (zoning laws permitting, of course).
6. Muslim isn't a synonym for terrorist.
7. Muslims died in 9/11 too. And they helped with the rescue efforts and fought in the wars. I guess those Muslims don't count.
8. None of this should even matter because of THE FIRST AMENDMENT.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:

superchunk

1. There have been plenty of people on the right and on this site that said it should be blocked/stopped from happening. There were even court cases about it.

2. The Muslims that are for moving it are not saying that because it is somehow wrong or insensitive to the ground zero issue, but because they simply want to avoid conflict that has grown past its roots on talk radio/Fox News.

I don't walk away from an argument just to avoid the argument. Right or wrong, I think you should voice your opinion and stand to it unless you are voted out.

This entire issue was created based on half truths and shouldn't even be being discussed on this scale. The first time some jackass on Fox news said 'zomg their building a mosque on ground zero!!!11eleven', someone should have said 'stfu, no they are not, its two blocks away and just around the corner from an existing mosque'.

There is absolutely no reason this mosque shouldn't be built from any point of view. Moving it out a further 80 feet next to the existing mosque would be stupid and petty.

Not to mention, I think this is just an overall Islamaphobia issue as there are other Mosques around the nation that are getting just as much local flak as this one is. Muslims have become the new commies of this crazed nation.

TheRealMafoo said:
Doobie_wop said:

I hope this video shut's up a lot of people, I doubt it will, but it break's my heart when my parents, my grandparents, my cousins and family friends are called terrorist because of the religion they chose to follow. I'm an atheist, but when any group is treated differently to others it makes my blood boil. Plenty of people in the last few threads should have been banned, but I guess calling the PS3 crap is considered more offensive than calling a whole group of people terrorists. 

So what's the best way to increase religions tolerance towards Muslims? I tell you what the worst way is....

Build this thing near ground zero.

The people who should be the most pissed off about this, is members of your family.

It's like when that Christian leader said all the people in Hatti that are dying due to the earthquake are there fault because they made a deal with the devil all those years ago.

I am sure millions of Christians heard that and said "what the hell are you doing? You make us all look like fools!". Same with this thing.

Yes they have a right to build there. I would have hoped for the betterment of there faith, they would have chosen not to.

FYI: I am an atheist, so I have no vested interest in this either way. Just seems like a stupid thing to do.

Your solution involves Muslims hiding in a hole for the next 20 years, just so the memory of 9/11 and the decade of constant Islamic media backhanding shies away.

My family are pissed because this issue is actually seen as an actual issue, they shouldn't have to hide away just so some other citizens don't have their feelings hurt for completely stupid reasons. My Grandfather was killed by a Moroccan man 15 years ago in Lebanon, that man was punished and guess what, I don't hate Moroccans. The same thing should apply in this situation, but obviously the politicians in the US have their own agenda and I can understand that the media need viewers no matter the cost, it still makes how Islamic people are shown and treated absolutely disgusting.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752