By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic Center

I heard a Muslim say "just because we have the right to do it, doesn't mean it's right to do".

Of course you could build an Islamic center there. But why piss off millions of Americans, when what's needed is to improve relations between the Muslim community and non Muslim Americans?

Around the Network

The Ground Zero one?

Hmm, interesting. Kudos to him for having the balls to do so, though I'm sure a lot of people will dislike him for it...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:

The Ground Zero one?

Hmm, interesting. Kudos to him for having the balls to do so, though I'm sure a lot of people will dislike him for it...

He didn't really have the balls. Once he realized how it polled, he revered his comments. He said he was just talking about the legality of it, and not the wisdom of actually doing it.

He tried to distance himself from it, but it was to late.

TheRealMafoo said:
Cheebee said:

The Ground Zero one?

He didn't really have the balls. Once he realized how it polled, he revered his comments. He said he was just talking about the legality of it, and not the wisdom of actually doing it.

I see. Well, still, he went through with it, right?

Ah well, I wonder how this will all work out, eventually.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

TheRealMafoo said:

I heard a Muslim say "just because we have the right to do it, doesn't mean it's right to do".

Of course you could build an Islamic center there. But why piss off millions of Americans, when what's needed is to improve relations between the Muslim community and non Muslim Americans?

Pretty much my take on it, even though the media is blowing its proximity WAY out of proportion. It was bad form to build a new mosque a couple of blocks from Ground Zero; it's even worse form to say that someone should stop them, which many are promoting as a solution.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

It is not a Mosque. Take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhF26Zch0g&feature=bulletin

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
TheRealMafoo said:
Cheebee said:

The Ground Zero one?

He didn't reverse his comments. He clarified them, he never said he thought it was wise to build a mosque there, just that nobody should interfere with their right to.

I thought you'd be a big fan of that, he's basically protecting the constitution.

Rath said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Cheebee said:

The Ground Zero one?

He didn't reverse his comments. He clarified them, he never said he thought it was wise to build a mosque there, just that nobody should interfere with their right to.

I thought you'd be a big fan of that, he's basically protecting the constitution.

I don't have a problem with what he said, or the right to build the center there.

I do have a problem with them doing it though.

For example, I don't have a problem with the right for someone to be racist, but I do have a problem with someone being racist.

Being a free country means we should be free to do things that others hate. This would be that case. I am firmly on the side of the peoples legal right to build it, and at the same time, I think they are assholes.

TheRealMafoo said:
Rath said:

I don't have a problem with what he said, or the right to build the center there.

I do have a problem with them doing it though.

For example, I don't have a problem with the right for someone to be racist, but I do have a problem with someone being racist.

Being a free country means we should be free to do things that others hate. This would be that case. I am firmly on the side of the peoples legal right to build it, and at the same time, I think they are assholes.

Oh I'm not saying that you should like it. I'm saying I thought you would be pretty happy with Obama in this situation.

I agree with you entirely. They have the right to build the centre and you have the right to think they're insensitive wankers for doing so.