By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic Center

superchunk said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:
superchunk said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Odd that you feel this way over this issue. Being I have the same opinion on it as Obama.

He said when he commented on the center, he was only talking about the legality of it (and we have the same opinion legally), he said he was not commenting on the wisdom of it. This was made in defense of his comments, meaning he must not think it's a very wise move (same as me).

Sorry you dislike Obama and I for having this view, but that's the way we see it.

I think his latest comments and those by many politicians, are simply rhetoric due to the entire conflict as they don't want to appear being against the perceived majority.

The fact remains that the entire debate is pointless and a hoopla over what is in reality nothing but right-wing propoganda from Islamaphobia idiots who would rather shred the Constitution so they could rewrite it according to their own extremist points of view.

Just look at how it was originially sold to the masses as being 'on' or 'at' ground zero which is completely false. On top of that they continue to slander an Imam who is not even close to terrorist ideologies.

If it's just right wing propaganda hoopla that means nothing, who cares? Why should Obama be so weak minded if he really thinks building it is a good idea, only to please a few right wing nut jobs?

Your not making much sense.

No, its that right wing 1/2 truth crap that has built up an overall media partial information peice that allowed a large number of people to think this is really some issue to stand against. That has forced politicians, who may or may not believe in what they are actually saying, to be political and continuously say what is most popular.

Obama took a good stand on the legality, but I think he bowed to the popular idea that it in itself is somehow wrong.

lol, Obama didn't take a "good stand" on the legality... he just said what everyone is saying. NO ONE SAYS IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO BUILD!!!

I don't know how to make that any more clear.

And what your telling me, is all those Muslims who are against it are listening to conservative talk radio, and watching Fox News? Come on man. Your smarter then that.

last full sentence. i can agree with that. if they had the time they wouldn't watch fox news or conservative radio.

superchunk

listen to what the guy is saying, and stop betting a dead horse.

1. There have been plenty of people on the right and on this site that said it should be blocked/stopped from happening. There were even court cases about it.

2. The Muslims that are for moving it are not saying that because it is somehow wrong or insensitive to the ground zero issue, but because they simply want to avoid conflict that has grown past its roots on talk radio/Fox News.

I don't walk away from an argument just to avoid the argument. Right or wrong, I think you should voice your opinion and stand to it unless you are voted out.

This entire issue was created based on half truths and shouldn't even be being discussed on this scale. The first time some jackass on Fox news said 'zomg their building a mosque on ground zero!!!11eleven', someone should have said 'stfu, no they are not, its two blocks away and just around the corner from an existing mosque'.

There is absolutely no reason this mosque shouldn't be built from any point of view. Moving it out a further 80 feet next to the existing mosque would be stupid and petty.

Not to mention, I think this is just an overall Islamaphobia issue as there are other Mosques around the nation that are getting just as much local flak as this one is. Muslims have become the new commies of this crazed nation.

it's not hard to agree with you, and i do

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

last full sentence. i can agree with that. if they had the time they wouldn't watch fox news or conservative radio.

superchunk

listen to what the guy is saying, and stop betting a dead horse.

Thanks Marcus, and for what you said in your post before this one.

your welcome.

As i've said before in this thread, the main issue isn't the legality of it, it comes from people who don't entirely grasp just how much of a difference two blocks can make. I can go two blocks from one end of my University and be in ghetto. I can go two blocks from the other end of my university and be in the richest zip code in Pennsylvania, second richest in USA outside of 90210

The point being, two blocks might as well be worlds apart when we're talking about cities. If we weren't making a big deal about it, most people who would've been in New York to pay their respects at the WTC site wouldn't have even known this place existed. This is only a big deal because some people choose to make it that way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I look at it this way.

Lets turn this around to where most republicans will think it's fine and most democrats will think it's not cool.

Say an abortion clinic gets blown up by some fringe evangengical group.

Now they build a evangelical Church right next to the smoldering wreck of the abortion clinic.

Is it within there rights to do it?   Yes.

Is it inconsiderate and a bit jerky?  Yes.

They have the right to do it, but should they.... eh.

Mr Khan said:

As i've said before in this thread, the main issue isn't the legality of it, it comes from people who don't entirely grasp just how much of a difference two blocks can make. I can go two blocks from one end of my University and be in ghetto. I can go two blocks from the other end of my university and be in the richest zip code in Pennsylvania, second richest in USA outside of 90210

The point being, two blocks might as well be worlds apart when we're talking about cities. If we weren't making a big deal about it, most people who would've been in New York to pay their respects at the WTC site wouldn't have even known this place existed. This is only a big deal because some people choose to make it that way.

In NYC?  I'd disagree.  I mean, i've been there.  The WTC ruins are HUGE, and the blocks... really aren't as big as you'd think.  New York streets are very narrow and closed together. 

Keep in mind it's not like this is a regular Mosque as well.

This things going to be 15 stories tall.   Really it'd depend which blocks it is.

EDIT:  Aha, i found the adress.  At 45 Park Place.

Depending on how big the building infront of it is, it looks like everyone who visits ground zero by subway could see the mosque as they leave.  If I'm remembering correctly it's a 2 story building.  (Could be off though, my georgraphy sucks.)

So... that definitly seems uncool.  It'd be like building an evangical church right infront of an abortion clinic that got bombed, rebuilt and restaffed.

Not Illegal.  Just insensitive.

Around the Network

Sometimes I wonder if it is best if aliens came to invade earth, and force us into slavery. Maybe then humanity will stop and say to themselves "Maybe we should stop fighting eachother"

This world can be to sensitive.

Need something like in the movie, "The day the earth stod still"

If that happens i'm sure humanity will be motivated.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Arius Dion said:

Go ahead Keith Olbermann! Spoken like a true New Yorker lol.

MSNBC and Olbermann are further left than fox is right

Olbermann is a fire breathing overbearing drama queen 

^Sure.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:

^Sure.

Take off the glasses 

Chris Matthews was gushing on his show softball that he was going to go everything in his power to make sure president Obama has a successful presidency. What? Thats his job

Please

MSNBC is in the dems pocket like fox is in repubs pocket 

No wonder NBC dumped Keith O from their Sunday night football telecast

mhsillen said:
Arius Dion said:

^Sure.

Take off the glasses 

Chris Matthews was gushing on his show softball that he was going to go everything in his power to make sure president Obama has a successful presidency. What? Thats his job

Please

MSNBC is in the dems pocket like fox is in repubs pocket 

No wonder NBC dumped Keith O from their Sunday night football telecast

^Sure.

You seem to be quite misguided, or misinformed? Mainstream media, Fox, CNN, MSNBC the whole lot is a big freaking joke. When Bush was in office Fox News, along with Riley and Hannity was doing the same thing you are accusing Mathews of doing now with President Obama. MSNBC is not as liberal as you may want to believe. They are owned by GE which is really an industrial corporation making most of its money from arming soldiers in war. There is only a point to where the discussion even goes or how far the discussion goes on any given topic. On any given station.

This is not news. It is brainwashing. This isn't even a MOSQUE being built, its a community center not unlike a YMCA. On top of this there are Mosque's all over that area all ready. The actions of a few extremists and punishing or blaming a religion is not unlike blaming all Christianity for the actions of Timothy Mcveigh. I'm not even religious! I'm a native New Yorker, not some mid western yokel or southern states rights, confederate flag wearing prick. And the New Yorkers I know don't give a damn about this non issue. It's purpose is to keep you looking one way while they give you the shaft the other. Not unlike a baby with a shaker.

But it doesn't matter. Typical BS from a corporate owned, damn near monolithic 'news' entity.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.