By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dr. Laura says sorry for using N word on air

d21lewis said:

I don't think the word "nigger" is worse than any other derogatory term for any other race.  There are epthets for the French, Native Americans, Mexicans, Itallians, people with freckles, and pretty much any other race you can think of.  You just shouldn't use them.

At the same time, most races (not just black people) have taken their "N-Word" and embraced it.  How many white people are proud to call themselves "Red Necks"?  How many Itallians are proud to call themselves "Guidos"?  How many freckled people are proud to call themselves "Freckers"?  It's not the word.  It's the connotation.  I know black people who'd get offended if a white guy came up to them and called them "Tyrone".  Tyrone isn't a bad word.  It's just the implication that comes along with it that he finds offensive.

In my experience, white people are more likely to accept racially insulting stereotypes.  I don't know if they just have a better sense of humor than other races or if being white really IS that awesome.  Lots of people I know will volounteer "Oh, I'm white.  You know I can't dance." or something like that.  Good for them.  At the same time, some of my favorite movies (Like Goodfellas or Kill Bill) use the word nigger.  Doesn't offend me at all.  People just need to stop being so damned sensitive.  If there's no hate behind the word when it's being used, then what's the harm?   There's too many other things in the world for me to be offended by.  I'd rather hear a person say what they really think and KNOW that they don't like me for some preconceived (and probably wrong) notion instead of having them smile in my face and surprise me at the last second.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some fried chicken to get to!

It is worse than any other derogatory term for any other race. It's the history behind the N word that's make's it worse than any other sterotype. You should know what I'm talking about.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Akvod said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_standard

The term double standard, coined in 1912,[1] refers to any set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another, typically without a good reason for having said difference.[2] A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain applications (often of a word or phrase) are perceived as acceptable to be used by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable—taboo—when used by another group.

Hence why KylieDog was bringing the point that we all humans.

Well yeah it's a double standard, but there's a good reason for it with centuries of linguistic baggage.

And white people don't really have anything to gain by using the word.  It's like women saying "hey why can't I piss in a urinal?!??"  The answer is "you don't have a penis."  This is the same issue (even though some women do it anyway).  There's just no reason to argue it because there's nothing to win.

Honestly, the word is much better off now than it was 50 or 100 years ago.  Now you can actually say "nigger" in a book without it getting banned.  You just can't pull a Michael Richards and repeatedly scream it into a microphone at a group of blacks.  I mean, it's perfectly legal, but not too smart.

It's like... Marty McFly can call himself chicken, but I fucking DARE you to call him a chicken.  There's no reason to call him a chicken unless you WANT what's going to happen afterwards.

Thank you Rubang! are views are basically the same your just doing a better job at putting it togheter

its the unspoken law just leave it alone.

No. It's a illogical taboo that imposes a double standard that only further defines a division between people of different skin color.

yep... cant argue with that, just like religion, and gender, and, sexauality and whatnot.

? I'm assuming you're still harping on that we're different? Nobody, me or KylieDog, is arguing that we are all the same, or equal in respect to our existence and physical properties. I seriously can't believe you thought we were literally saying that, when we said "equal"

I am advocating, and I'm sure KylieDog is advocating as well, the philosophy of egalitarianism. A philosophy that has been adopted in Europe after centuries of aristocracy and servitude, and founded the United States of America. Have both been consistent and practiced what they preached? No, not at all. That is why we've held onto this ideal, strived for it, and came this far. We have become a beacon and ideal for other nations in the world to follow.

People like you only stain our accomplishments, and tarnish our roles as that beacon. In the same league as those who advocate torture, try to establish a Christian theocracy, or deny homosexuals their dignities as human beings. You guys fucking embarass me, and will be the ones to bring the West backwards.

talk about harping.. and robotic and automatic action. You see I dont ever believe we will ever to a point where all froms of seperation and segragation will cease to exist. We are having this conversation about one of the many double standards that exist in world... Is it right? of course not none of them are....would i be good if all form sof the word vanished altogheter? absolutely but will it ever happen... I highly doubt.

i have more of a realist approach why you have the dreamers view

My view is not for this knowledge its more of the acceptance thats its there..and will be forever. So why challenge it When the world constantly shows it doesnt wanna change?

as for your last paragraph:

I dont beliebe in torture, its mans decision

I believe in God, But I dont believe in " Oraganized religion" so that kills that theory

as for homosexuals, I have never stripped them of anything only added to there cause

take a chill pill

What in the world are you talking about?

I don't expect the word to dissapear, or segregation and seperation to cease to exist. What does that have to do with anything I just said? Again, you're making extremely vague and irrelevant statements.

A cynic is the same to a conspiracy theorist in one regard. Both deny/believe in something without reason. A realist will acknowledge that while the goal may never be ultimately achieved, it is worth to strive for it, and to get as close to it as tangible and productive results are actually obtained doing so.

In addition, are you actually acknowledging that we do have a double standard over the usage of the word 'nigger'? Because you were disagreeing momments ago.

And the world HAS changed. You're like a spoiled brat, who doesn't appreciate what we've gotten. Our lives are so much better than it was even a hundred years ago. To be able to communicate with you, right now, is amazing. Look how long it took Marco Polo to go on his journey. How mythical Alexander the Great became from traveling from Macedonia to India. How many hours scribes put into writing and copying books, and how any schmuck can write a blog now.

And you really need to learn how to read. I said "... in the same league as..."

from this statemene you have been misreading my point this entire thread. I have never ever condoned the double standard around the the word " Nigga" just accepted that it exist... my accepting of its existence does not mean I am condoning the double standard around it or the general use of the word in general.

So, why in god's name were you focusing on how we aren't equal humans? See, it's not that I'm not misreading you, you're not being clear enough. Again, you keep saying things in a vague way, when I actually spell out what I mean.

For the whole thread you have been arguing how we humans are not equal due to difference in sex, skin color, economic conditions, etc. This seems very out of place and RANDOM if you were not obviously arguing against the claim that there is a double standard in respect to the word 'nigger'. Unless you just felt like, saying random thing *shrug*

Then you started to transition and talk about how we can't change the world, and that the double standard will always exist. Especially with the start of this huge quote pyramid. It looks like you've just been convinced by Rubang and tried to adopt his arguments.

So I asked you, are you now admitting that there is a double standard.

And so now your final point is that you just accept the double standard exists... alright? I believe the double standard exists to. However, if something like a double standard over one word seems something impossible to get rid of, considering certain people as sub humans and enslaving them must have been REALLY impossible to get rid of.

"Words are like bullets, and I let them pass straight through me."

Spagoodle said:
leo-j said:

Well whites are called cracker all the time, and nobody says anything about that..

Ha. Can you really compare the two?

Louis C. K. is almost too funny.

The real issue IMO is not Laura using the n-word. The real issue is people don't like Laura and use this against her.

I try  to be careful of being  too critical of people I  simply don't like. I need to be honest with myself and admit I just don't like them and stop fault finding.  Politics is the worst about this, find faults of the other party while overlooking the exact same faults in their own party.

Around the Network

I work with a guy from Pakistan, and he mentioned another guy from Pakistan and he called him a "Paki" - I just kinda looked at him, and said.. uhh, I thought that was a derogatory term... and he was like oh, it's fine I can say it, as I'm Pakastani, but you can't say it...

I'm gonna start calling all my friends honkey's or crackers, I want a derogatory word that I can use with people of my own race as well, I feel left out.

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos