By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dr. Laura says sorry for using N word on air

KylieDog said:
Xxain said:

your just twistng my words. we are equal in the fatc that w are all humans.. but not in life.

Color

religion

sexual preferances

Things like this dictate how we are treated in society, it not about being better or worse because noone is better than the other at the core, but layers like the ones above sepertate us.

I am not arguing for or against this thread only laying the reality out why its like this. its wrong? of course it is but it just the way it is.

I am not twisting your words, in most civilized societies colour, religion, gender and sexual preference is not meant to grant extra rights, in employment for example none of these are meant to make any influence by law.  Any changes that happen are all towards removing any differences from times past, not making new ones, like saying blacks can use the N word and whites cannot.

like i said in response you are right... if the world was really seen as equal, but were not. im gonna stop right here, nut both of rubangs post is where im at in this deabte. im not sayin its right but.. its just there...

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Akvod said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_standard

The term double standard, coined in 1912,[1] refers to any set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another, typically without a good reason for having said difference.[2] A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain applications (often of a word or phrase) are perceived as acceptable to be used by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable—taboo—when used by another group.

Hence why KylieDog was bringing the point that we all humans.

Well yeah it's a double standard, but there's a good reason for it with centuries of linguistic baggage.

And white people don't really have anything to gain by using the word.  It's like women saying "hey why can't I piss in a urinal?!??"  The answer is "you don't have a penis."  This is the same issue (even though some women do it anyway).  There's just no reason to argue it because there's nothing to win.

Honestly, the word is much better off now than it was 50 or 100 years ago.  Now you can actually say "nigger" in a book without it getting banned.  You just can't pull a Michael Richards and repeatedly scream it into a microphone at a group of blacks.  I mean, it's perfectly legal, but not too smart.

It's like... Marty McFly can call himself chicken, but I fucking DARE you to call him a chicken.  There's no reason to call him a chicken unless you WANT what's going to happen afterwards.

*raises eye brow*

The example with the women is simply a logical one (although it's not the best example. Since a woman can technically piss in a urinal. Just not acceptable in society and extremely inconvenient). Women don't say it, because the statement itself is illogical.

... god dammit you're completely making me feel itchy with such a stupid example.

Your point is that it's a logical contradiction to say both your urinal statement, and for a non-black skinned individual to say 'nigger'. Both are not in fact.

In your last example, that's just saying you shouldn't insult anybody.

I'm not really coming here to defend this lady, since I don't want to waste time listening to her radio show and whatnot. But if she was simply saying the word 'nigger', because she was talking about the word itself and its usage, obviously she wasn't meaning it in a negative or insulting context.

That is why I've brought up the comparison with Lord Voldemort, and the mythical status of the word. If we cannot even say the word to talk about it, it's absolutely ridiculous. I mean, I LITERALLY see people looking around and whispering, almost like it was some magic word, "the 'N' word".

Xxain said:
Akvod said:

The term double standard, coined in 1912,[1] refers to any set of principles containing different provisions for one group of people than for another, typically without a good reason for having said difference.[2] A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain applications (often of a word or phrase) are perceived as acceptable to be used by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable—taboo—when used by another group.

Well yeah it's a double standard, but there's a good reason for it with centuries of linguistic baggage.

And white people don't really have anything to gain by using the word.  It's like women saying "hey why can't I piss in a urinal?!??"  The answer is "you don't have a penis."  This is the same issue (even though some women do it anyway).  There's just no reason to argue it because there's nothing to win.

Honestly, the word is much better off now than it was 50 or 100 years ago.  Now you can actually say "nigger" in a book without it getting banned.  You just can't pull a Michael Richards and repeatedly scream it into a microphone at a group of blacks.  I mean, it's perfectly legal, but not too smart.

It's like... Marty McFly can call himself chicken, but I fucking DARE you to call him a chicken.  There's no reason to call him a chicken unless you WANT what's going to happen afterwards.

Thank you Rubang! are views are basically the same your just doing a better job at putting it togheter

its the unspoken law just leave it alone.

No. It's a illogical taboo that imposes a double standard that only further defines a division between people of different skin color.

Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:

Thank you Rubang! are views are basically the same your just doing a better job at putting it togheter

No. It's a illogical taboo that imposes a double standard that only further defines a division between people of different skin color.

yep... cant argue with that, just like religion, and gender, and, sexauality and whatnot.

Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:

yep... cant argue with that, just like religion, and gender, and, sexauality and whatnot.

? I'm assuming you're still harping on that we're different? Nobody, me or KylieDog, is arguing that we are all the same, or equal in respect to our existence and physical properties. I seriously can't believe you thought we were literally saying that, when we said "equal"

I am advocating, and I'm sure KylieDog is advocating as well, the philosophy of egalitarianism. A philosophy that has been adopted in Europe after centuries of aristocracy and servitude, and founded the United States of America. Have both been consistent and practiced what they preached? No, not at all. That is why we've held onto this ideal, strived for it, and came this far. We have become a beacon and ideal for other nations in the world to follow.

People like you only stain our accomplishments, and tarnish our roles as that beacon. In the same league as those who advocate torture, try to establish a Christian theocracy, or deny homosexuals their dignities as human beings. You guys fucking embarass me, and will be the ones to bring the West backwards.

Around the Network
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:

? I'm assuming you're still harping on that we're different? Nobody, me or KylieDog, is arguing that we are all the same, or equal in respect to our existence and physical properties. I seriously can't believe you thought we were literally saying that, when we said "equal"

I am advocating, and I'm sure KylieDog is advocating as well, the philosophy of egalitarianism. A philosophy that has been adopted in Europe after centuries of aristocracy and servitude, and founded the United States of America. Have both been consistent and practiced what they preached? No, not at all. That is why we've held onto this ideal, strived for it, and came this far. We have become a beacon and ideal for other nations in the world to follow.

People like you only stain our accomplishments, and tarnish our roles as that beacon. In the same league as those who advocate torture, try to establish a Christian theocracy, or deny homosexuals their dignities as human beings. You guys fucking embarass me, and will be the ones to bring the West backwards.

talk about harping.. and robotic and automatic action. You see I dont ever believe we will ever to a point where all froms of seperation and segragation will cease to exist. We are having this conversation about one of the many double standards that exist in world... Is it right? of course not none of them are....would i be good if all form sof the word vanished altogheter? absolutely but will it ever happen... I highly doubt.

i have more of a realist approach why you have the dreamers view

My view is not for this knowledge its more of the acceptance thats its there..and will be forever. So why challenge it When the world constantly shows it doesnt wanna change?

as for your last paragraph:

I dont beliebe in torture, its mans decision

I believe in God, But I dont believe in " Oraganized religion" so that kills that theory

as for homosexuals, I have never stripped them of anything only added to there cause

take a chill pill

Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:
Xxain said:
Akvod said:

talk about harping.. and robotic and automatic action. You see I dont ever believe we will ever to a point where all froms of seperation and segragation will cease to exist. We are having this conversation about one of the many double standards that exist in world... Is it right? of course not none of them are....would i be good if all form sof the word vanished altogheter? absolutely but will it ever happen... I highly doubt.

i have more of a realist approach why you have the dreamers view

My view is not for this knowledge its more of the acceptance thats its there..and will be forever. So why challenge it When the world constantly shows it doesnt wanna change?

as for your last paragraph:

I dont beliebe in torture, its mans decision

I believe in God, But I dont believe in " Oraganized religion" so that kills that theory

as for homosexuals, I have never stripped them of anything only added to there cause

take a chill pill

What in the world are you talking about?

I don't expect the word to dissapear, or segregation and seperation to cease to exist. What does that have to do with anything I just said? Again, you're making extremely vague and irrelevant statements.

A cynic is the same to a conspiracy theorist in one regard. Both deny/believe in something without reason. A realist will acknowledge that while the goal may never be ultimately achieved, it is worth to strive for it, and to get as close to it as tangible and productive results are actually obtained doing so.

In addition, are you actually acknowledging that we do have a double standard over the usage of the word 'nigger'? Because you were disagreeing momments ago.

And the world HAS changed. You're like a spoiled brat, who doesn't appreciate what we've gotten. Our lives are so much better than it was even a hundred years ago. To be able to communicate with you, right now, is amazing. Look how long it took Marco Polo to go on his journey. How mythical Alexander the Great became from traveling from Macedonia to India. How many hours scribes put into writing and copying books, and how any schmuck can write a blog now.

And you really need to learn how to read. I said "... in the same league as..."

@Xxain,

THE QUESTION is not about the wolrd being able to change or not.

==> it is about : DO WE TRY TO CHANGE IT OR DO WE ACCEPT IT AS IT IS ?

And, some people have decided to push and to go against what seemed "lost and dead" and to fight for more freedom, more egality etc ....
THIS IS WHY black people are equal to white rhgit now. It is because people (whatever their color) have pushed.

you can turn it how you want : black people calling themselve "nigger" are playing the racist game ... and suck hard !

Time to Work !

As a pretty awesome black man on VGChartz, here's my set of opinions on the matter:

- Nigger is a word drenched in emotional turmoil from a pretty terrible past, but it's come a long way. Anyone can say it (free speech and all that), but not everyone has the intellect and foresight to see the immediate consequences. Of course, this all depends on your situation. Maybe you're in a circle where it's acceptable, maybe you live somewhere where it's still taboo. The argument about who can and can't say it is just a reflection of the present, you just need to come to terms with it and make your next move from there. Double standards? Maybe, but pointing that out isn't going to change anything.

- Dr. Laura needs to put it on lock. She clearly wasn't thinking straight when she thought she could use nigger repeatedly and get away with it. She can cite black men and comedians all she wants. No one is going to take Chris Rock to task for using that word, and some guys on the street certainly don't have anything to answer for. Heifer should have known she had a lot to lose, and it's not up to her whether it's acceptable to say or not. In her case she shouldn't be using it at all.

- I'm pretty sure that Jade woman is never going to read this but Dr. Laura gave some pretty shitty advice (besides making a fool of herself). Anyone that's in her house using language that makes her feel uncomfortable is at fault. She doesn't need a sense of humor, she needs a pitbull and an aluminum baseball bat. This is her territory and they need to respect her, and if they don't then they can suffer the consequences.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

My black friends say the n-word to each other, they sometimes say it too me. I don't say it though, I'm Hispanic btw.