By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - May be late but i really want to know how people feel about FF13

May be late but i really want to know how people feel about FF13

Amazing 49 21.97%

Alright 51 22.87%

Disappointed 59 26.46%

BOOO! I want Squaresoft back 48 21.52%

Cant return opened games, I WILL KILL YOU! 16 7.17%

Total:223
MrT-Tar said:

I haven't played LO, but I think these are the definitive RPGs of this gen:

I excluded ports/remakes so Pokemon HG/SS, Chrono Trigger, DQ V, FF IV and the like didn't turn up

I have just finished up an addictive experience with DQIX and am now actually playing Bowser's Inside Story. I am at the part right after I just woke Bowser up. Fairly early in the game still.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Icyedge said:
dtewi said:

I find it funny.

Perhaps this game should have been Called Lost Odyssey and Lost Odyssey should have been called FF13.

Lost Odyssey has everything Final Fantasy 13 doesn't but should. Mini-games, sidequests, open exploration of the ENTIRE world, and music by Uematsu (Not to say FF13's music is bad, just Uematsu is a FF staple).

Anyway, I've played 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and am playing 1, 6 and 12. This game ranks below all of them except 8 and maybe 4. It's not a bad game, just a poor Final Fantasy.

Bring back Squaresoft.

You forgot to mention the thing FF13 does better. Anyway FF13 shouldnt be Lost Odyssey, both games should be better. Between, theres sidequest in FF13. Just a tought since I played both, I think its longer to re-explore whats available in FF13 than re-exploring Lost Odyssey ENTIRE world :P.

Erm... is english your first language?

The only thing Final Fantasy 13 does better is the battle system.

And LO's world is larger than Gran Pulse.

L.O. and Final fantasy have some of the same problems. They make you read. While Lost Odyssey does more. The datalogue in FFXIII (though not completely necessary but the FFXIII plot is kinda a mess so it's kinda necessary) or the dreams in lost odyssey (not necessary as in you don't have to read them, but really... it's basically necessary).

Both games need to not use amnesia as a plot device... (it really is getting old, Even TWEWY had it which I thought was better than both of these games). Yes old JRPG's used it as a plot device, but it's been 10 years and they're still using it. It's annoying not a gamebraker by any means but quit dammit.

While it's the writing is good in LO (the dream part anyway). Without having visual representation in a videogame to go along with it, it makes them feel out of place and destroys pacing IMO. Especially when the dreams are much better than the sakaguchi written part. There are very few that have cutscenes with them. It's just a background and some of the more boring music uematsu's made.

Music It's close. Really I prefer FFXIII's, but they're both great, really nothing to complain about either way as I find them both some of the better if not the best soundtracks this gen.

Graphics Duh.

Story: Lost Odyssey: Just as nonsensical imo the Sakaguchi written part. But the dreams, even though I don't like the format they're presented in at all. They are much better than anything FFXIII has to offer (in writing).

Characters: FFXIII, though Villains. LO

Battlesystem: FFXIII and it's not even close imo, In fact L.O. was weak imo hurting my opinion of it a lot.

all imo ofcourse

edit. ofcourse I can see how one would like LO more. It just depends on what qualities one likes more.

dtewi said:
Icyedge said:
dtewi said:

I find it funny.

Perhaps this game should have been Called Lost Odyssey and Lost Odyssey should have been called FF13.

Lost Odyssey has everything Final Fantasy 13 doesn't but should. Mini-games, sidequests, open exploration of the ENTIRE world, and music by Uematsu (Not to say FF13's music is bad, just Uematsu is a FF staple).

Anyway, I've played 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and am playing 1, 6 and 12. This game ranks below all of them except 8 and maybe 4. It's not a bad game, just a poor Final Fantasy.

Bring back Squaresoft.

You forgot to mention the thing FF13 does better. Anyway FF13 shouldnt be Lost Odyssey, both games should be better. Between, theres sidequest in FF13. Just a tought since I played both, I think its longer to re-explore whats available in FF13 than re-exploring Lost Odyssey ENTIRE world :P.

Erm... is english your first language?

The only thing Final Fantasy 13 does better is the battle system.

And LO's world is larger than Gran Pulse.

What about numbers of different equipments/weapon and customisation. FF13 system is bigger on this aspect. Characters customisation is also bigger then LO skill system. Even if its not a game breaker FF13 presentation is better than LO. Im pretty sure its longer to explore gran pulse than LO, anyway, FF13 is longer. As you can see, theres a couple of strong points. It should be possible to find more strong points for both games. I think they are both good games that could be better. Reviewers also seems to be of that opinion LO 79% and FF13 83% metacritic. Not bad but not awesome either for both games. English is my third language.

The replay value wasn't there, I enjoyed the characters but they were not developed to the extent they should have been, I didn't talk to anyone, the world wasn't as believable as, say, Spira, and you had to read pages and pages of Datalogue script to understand what was not properly explained in the cutscenes. The Datalogue had me more interested then the actual dialogue. I wanted to love it but I was left underwhelmed.

Gameplay? The battles were simply too long - spending 10 minutes with 3 ravagers going crazy half the time (being healed the other half) only to be destroyed by a few Sunder hits because my Sentinel wouldn't use Challenge fast enough is not my idea of a good time. Replay value was also not there.

The game was beautiful in its presentation, even awe-inspiring, but I hardly felt like I was participating in this adventure with the characters. I felt like a bystander, pressing X and L1 every so often.

It felt like a nuetered Final Fantasy.

But, even after all of that I can say that it was an excellent game. Better than many others, but not on a tier of its own as every other game in the series has been up to this point.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Icyedge said:
SOLDIER_Cloud said:

FFXIII was absolutely the worst FF game I have ever played. I mean seriously, No Airship? No fun mini games? No Sidequests? No open world to explore? Also, The gameplay was just completely BORING! I gave the Game Five to Six hours for something exciting to happen before I gave up on it.

Im hoping Final Fantasy XIII Versus won't be as awful as FFXIII was. So far it looks like the REAL FFXIII in my opinion.

5 to 6 hours is not enough in a jRPG. Proof is that you dont even know theres an open world with sidequest later on.

"Go kill this random monster," repeated ad nauseum does not a compelling side quest make.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Around the Network

It doesn't deserve that title, Final Fantasy. In my opinion it doesn't feel like one either. Plus 1/3 of the game is a tutorial. So, I'm very dissapointed. Beat it once and that is enough. I should have rented it instead.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I'm just extremely disappointed in Square right now.  I remember when they used to be cool.  At least I have my memories.

It's a good game but it nothing really special about it.If you are a hardcore fan then get it if not rent it.

kowhoho said:
Icyedge said:
SOLDIER_Cloud said:

FFXIII was absolutely the worst FF game I have ever played. I mean seriously, No Airship? No fun mini games? No Sidequests? No open world to explore? Also, The gameplay was just completely BORING! I gave the Game Five to Six hours for something exciting to happen before I gave up on it.

Im hoping Final Fantasy XIII Versus won't be as awful as FFXIII was. So far it looks like the REAL FFXIII in my opinion.

5 to 6 hours is not enough in a jRPG. Proof is that you dont even know theres an open world with sidequest later on.

"Go kill this random monster," repeated ad nauseum does not a compelling side quest make.

Sure they could have done better, but its still sidequest. Some jRPG doesnt have any at all.

I'm on chapter 13 right now and its awful game.  What happen to all the JRPG games this gen?  Lost Odyssey best JRPG this gen and its not saying much.