GC 51,029 (-2%)

Worldwide hardware 31st July 2010 -

X360 195,120 (-12%) 41,710,061
PS3 151,976 ( 24%) 36,327,839
Wii 149,898 (-0%) 73,027,003

The PS2 is terrifying!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I think that even with a big holiday push Nintendo has set the countdown for a new console. E3 2011 should be a good chance for a reveal.

I can’t help but notice that there was the opportunity to buy an (old style) XBox 360 Arcade for $99 and an (old style) XBox 360 elite bundle for $179 this week; and similar deals have been available since the XBox 360 Slim was announced. While I don’t want to attribute all of the slowdown the Wii has seen on these deals, I can’t help but think we’re near the end of a market that was temporarily distorted by unsustainable conditions.

Nintendo can easily afford a pricecut( i mean come on, it's the same price as the new X360 Arcade...) but if and only if they become unhappy about the sales.

For example they won't do a $50 pricecut if sales are still okay and it only gives a modest boost, because they will miss out on $50 on every Wii they would have sold anyway. It's the same thing for PS3 really, Sony could afford a small pricecut but they won't because they are finally making a small profit on the console.

Why does nobody consider a release of a Vitality Sensor game? Just because it wasn't shown at E3 doesn't mean it can't come out short term.

Around the Network
Nintari said:

This is what you get when you cater to people who aren't gamers. They made their money and success off people who don't care about the industry. The type of people who only buy what's "trendy" and "cool". Those people have very short attention spans and they're moving on.

The core gamers, the ones who made their company what it is today, the ones who have been on board since the NES/SNES days, they've mostly moved on so it's not like Nintendo can just switch it up and say "we're sorry". It's too late and so, they're going to have to lay in the bed they made.

Hopefully they learn their lesson next generation.

No one started as a core gamer from the very beginning. Many gamers - like me - started playing video games as kids because it was trendy and cool. When you surpass a certain level it's likely to deepen your interests and become more selective when buying a video game. Sure, many of them are moving on but there's still a chance of becoming a gamer. It's necessary to capture new people who have never been involved in video games.

I think it's kind of arrogant to indirectly claim that Nintendo's approach in this generation with the Wii was wrong in some kind. It was different but unfortunately not good enough to stop the continuing decline in sales.

Jaos said:

Why does nobody consider a release of a Vitality Sensor game? Just because it wasn't shown at E3 doesn't mean it can't come out short term.

It depends of what kind of game is. We don't know how the Vitality sensor'll be used or what kind of software'll be released with the peripheral. It could be another Wii Fit and sparks madness about it or it could be Wii Music and die quickly on the shelves.

a price cut would hurt nintendo financially, and wouldnt gerate much more sales as price was never a factor against buying a wii as opposed to the ps3 and 360

I do find those sales shocking, as until now I had kind of just ignored sales of the Wii because they were always right up there near the top...

Anyway, I think this is nothing to worry about so to say. I expect overall Wii will be down YoY and will probably be replaced next year, but Wii will still be on top this holiday, I am fairly sure of that

Well Wii has dominated hard and is still basicly outselling both consoles, so nothing to talk yet.

Take my love, take my land..