By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okay we got to discuss this - Wii/Sales

Looks like Nintendo needs to remake another SNES or N64 classic...Oh wait, they are already doing that with Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Seriously, Nintendo needs the new IP from Miyamoto within a year because I do not see the Wii magically going back to it's 2006 and 2007 numbers solely due to Kirby, Zelda Skyward Sword, DKCR, Goldeneye, and Other M.

You can only rehash the same stuff for so long and put another word on it's title before gamers start to question, why is your company hailed as the most innovative almost every year when all your big, exclusive releases are just the same old franchises in 3D with newer graphics?

Nintendo can afford to be complacent with the Wii for a year or more, especially with the Nintendo 3DS coming out in Spring 2011. After that, they should end the 7th generation by announcing a Wii successor in next year's or 2012's E3 for a holiday release in the Americas market.

The quicker Nintendo ends the 7th generation, the more they impact their biggest competitor, Sony, who wants the 7th generation to go on until 2014 to continue profiting off of what was a monetary black hole from 2006 until the price cuts.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
Acevil said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Lets wait till the holidays before we jump into conclusions, shall we ?

Pretty much this. Also isn't wii doing pretty much what the ps3 is doing. So does that mean we need to talk about ps3 sales as well?

The Wii is the console leader, PS3 is in last place, this must be a first for a console leader to decline this rapidly in such a short period of time. And the PS3 has nothing to do with this thread so don't drag it into it, I'd like to keep  this a flame war free thread please.

Your reasonment wouldn't be wrong in theory, but to be true we should be in this same situation, or even worse for Wii, after Xmas too. Instead we still know too little about what will be the situation in Autumn, MS played very important moves in advance of the usual periods for the industry, now it's gathering a lot, but we'll have to see how much competitors will gather and compare the overall HW and SW sales for all the consoles from XB360 Stocky launch to the end of the year to really know who played better. We can already know that, having both Sony and MS still enough moves left to play, it's very difficult that Wii reach for this part of the year the share it used to have in its strongest days, but it's really too early to say it's d0med. PS3 and XB360 recovered greatly from WW sales that in their worst periods were a lot lower than the current Wii ones. What's for sure, though, is that Wii needs more commitment by Nintendo for its SW to support sales longer after big boosts, if Nintendo wants it to live long it needs to never again leave it without big releases for periods too long.

Note how SW sales for Wii grew in percentage YTD2010 a lot less than what could be expected by the bigger user base:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3567629

Rhonin the wizard said:

Software sales YOY:

Week Ending
31st Jul 2010

Week Ending
01st Aug 2009
Difference YTD 2010 YTD 2009 Difference
Wii 1,822,821 3,088,516 -1,265,695 71,086,273 68,039,987 3,046,286
Xbox360 1,247,825 1,113,712 134,113 51,585,086 42,778,228 8,806,858
PS3 1,416,208 873,585 542,623 55,438,946 33,849,534 21,589,412
DS 1,507,495 1,650,246 -142,751 49,814,284 65,554,583 -15,740,299
PSP 704,865 443,027 261,838 16,599,120 15,065,786 1,533,334
PS2 184,587 410,396 -225,809 6,934,207 11,111,592 -4,177,385

2010 vs. 2009 software sales spreadsheet

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

there is no real new software core or party crap to push the console sales atm.

Like I swear here in Aus the last Wii game launched a good two months ago lol. 

I'll agree with what a lot of people are saying, it's a bit too early to be proclaiming the Wii is 'Domed' already. Wait for the holidays. Although there is one very major area where the Wii is undeniably in trouble, EMEAA. If Sony really does cut the price in PAL than between that and GT5 the Wii is going to lose a lot of momentum in that region and it will be very difficult to get it back. Sony already has an innate advantage in that they're officially available in a lot more countries than the Wii. It's not even a contest in places like New Zealand, Russia, and the Middle East.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Personally i still feel like the majority of people who are interested in Nintendo's franchises probably already own a Wii, so i don't think any big Nintendo game could really push sales anymore. SMG 2 didn't boost hardware anyway.

Around the Network

Nintendo is doomed... for the 100th time this generation

Gilgamesh said:Your missing my point completely, the PS2 completely dominated the competition like every console leader has done. The generation has got to be the most even generation right now then any other.

No way, the SNES/Genesis battle was pretty easily the most "even" generation in terms of performance.  Especially once the poor TG16 dropped out.

The most one sided generation was likely the NES.  Then PS2.

Ugh, I'm looking forward to the Xbox 360 slim boost wearing off so people will stop going nuts over the Wii sales.

You have to remember, Sony and MS are huge corporations with lots of money in their pocket and marketing tactics. Nintendo's disruptive strategies have worked well thus far, but now MS and Sony are trying to respond by throwing everything they can at the Wii. BOTH companies have released console redesigns, and both have had several pricecuts. The third party support of both also trumps Wii's.

Once the holiday season rolls around everything will be back to normal, and Wii will return to massive sales. Why? Because Wii will begin to have system movers again, which they really have not had in 9 months. As I've been saying, all you need to do is take a look at Wii's games this year so far and it quickly becomes obvious why Wii sales are down.

The big games so far this year are as follows: Mario Galaxy 2, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment, Monster Hunter Tri. None of these games are system movers. So essentially NSMB Wii has had to carry console sales for a good 9 months all on its own. That's no easy feat. I find it funny that anyone can think those titles I mentioned have the ability to move consoles.

While most people here seem to be raving about price cuts, new console models, and Wii immitation controllers, it is software that truly drives hardware. While it's all well and good that Nintendo has focused its lineup on more core games this year, the tradeoff is that they don't get as many sales, because those titles only appeal to a niche of core gamers. 

But as far as I'm concerned, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Party, Wii Relax, Goldeneye, Kirby, and Epic Mickey are much stronger titles and actually do have the ability to move consoles.

interesting.. PSP software sales are up significantly YTD

edit:

WTF? WII IS DOWN NEARLY 50% YTD SOFTWARE SALES WISE?!

mM
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Lets wait till the holidays before we jump into conclusions, shall we ?

Yeah pretty much. Let's see how Sony's Move and 360's Kinect do vs the Wii. The Wii has been the "toy to have" the last four christmas, and may just be again this holiday season *shrugs*

It's just that simple.