By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okay we got to discuss this - Wii/Sales

Killiana1a said:

Looks like Nintendo needs to remake another SNES or N64 classic...Oh wait, they are already doing that with Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Seriously, Nintendo needs the new IP from Miyamoto within a year because I do not see the Wii magically going back to it's 2006 and 2007 numbers solely due to Kirby, Zelda Skyward Sword, DKCR, Goldeneye, and Other M.

You can only rehash the same stuff for so long and put another word on it's title before gamers start to question, why is your company hailed as the most innovative almost every year when all your big, exclusive releases are just the same old franchises in 3D with newer graphics?

Nintendo can afford to be complacent with the Wii for a year or more, especially with the Nintendo 3DS coming out in Spring 2011. After that, they should end the 7th generation by announcing a Wii successor in next year's or 2012's E3 for a holiday release in the Americas market.

The quicker Nintendo ends the 7th generation, the more they impact their biggest competitor, Sony, who wants the 7th generation to go on until 2014 to continue profiting off of what was a monetary black hole from 2006 until the price cuts.

They will easily beat 2006-2007 sales as that was the year they had massive supply issues. 2008 would be a better comparison.

I think they have a good line-up for this holiday. After the massive sales of New Super Mario Bros last year, it's a no-brainer to have these games. That said, I don't think anything they've got has a real chance at pushing hardware sales.

For this, they will need a new IP, and it will have to be a phenomenal new IP. It has to emulate what Pokemon did for the Gameboy, or what Guitar Hero did for the PS2. Wii Relax might have a chance at doing this.

Around the Network
mortono said:
Killiana1a said:

Looks like Nintendo needs to remake another SNES or N64 classic...Oh wait, they are already doing that with Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Seriously, Nintendo needs the new IP from Miyamoto within a year because I do not see the Wii magically going back to it's 2006 and 2007 numbers solely due to Kirby, Zelda Skyward Sword, DKCR, Goldeneye, and Other M.

You can only rehash the same stuff for so long and put another word on it's title before gamers start to question, why is your company hailed as the most innovative almost every year when all your big, exclusive releases are just the same old franchises in 3D with newer graphics?

Nintendo can afford to be complacent with the Wii for a year or more, especially with the Nintendo 3DS coming out in Spring 2011. After that, they should end the 7th generation by announcing a Wii successor in next year's or 2012's E3 for a holiday release in the Americas market.

The quicker Nintendo ends the 7th generation, the more they impact their biggest competitor, Sony, who wants the 7th generation to go on until 2014 to continue profiting off of what was a monetary black hole from 2006 until the price cuts.

They will easily beat 2006-2007 sales as that was the year they had massive supply issues. 2008 would be a better comparison.

I think they have a good line-up for this holiday. After the massive sales of New Super Mario Bros last year, it's a no-brainer to have these games. That said, I don't think anything they've got has a real chance at pushing hardware sales.

For this, they will need a new IP, and it will have to be a phenomenal new IP. It has to emulate what Pokemon did for the Gameboy, or what Guitar Hero did for the PS2. Wii Relax might have a chance at doing this.

Wii Party is sort of a new IP, being somewhat of the bastard child of Mario Party and Wii Play. Epic Mickey is certainly a new IP, and one that has potential to be successful if marketed properly. DKC, although not technically a new IP, might as well be one, as the last DKC game is over a decade old. There is certainly going to be a pent up demand for that game, similar to NSMB Wii, not only because it's a hugely popular series, but also because it's been so long since the previous game was released. Same story with Goldeneye. As for Kirby, it's so different from other Kirby games, it is almost like a new IP.

I guarentee these holiday games will move far more consoles than Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment, No More Heroes 2, Monster Hunter Tri, and Red Steel 2, ALL of which are direct sequels to core franchises and not console movers. I think for the first part of this year, Nintendo moved too much into hardcore type games in a desperate attempt to appease the growing number of angry core gamers. But the flipside of that is by appeasing the niche of hardcore gamers, they limit their sales from the expanded audience.

What I like about these holiday games is they seem to have a nice balance of core and expanded audience games. They are more "bridge" type games similar to Mario Kart. New IP has little to do with success, it's simply about making games that are fun and appeal to as many people as possible.

MrT-Tar said:
zgamer5 said:

i think that nintendo must start doing what everysone is doing, they must start pumping out new ips, i dont want another platformer, i think its time they started producing mature games, while at the same time giving their casual audience, casual games.

Nintendo have made a crap load of new IPs, they are just not that major or good selling (with the exception of Wii..., Nintendogs and Brain Training)

im not talking about ds games. which games are you talking about? i dont consider smg, or sonic and mario at the winter olympics or just at the olympics new ips. i want a new fresh experience as good as the first time i played mario or donkey kong or mario kart. if they get a new fun innovative game and make that franchise as big as mario/zelda/kirby it would help its sales.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

well, personally, I was pretty worried about wii sales last year, they were pretty low. So I'm confident this week

leo-j said:

oh those were weekly sales, still though it's a big drop

No its not cus MH3 came out same week last year.

So its misleading.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

lol Wii may well return back to crazy sales this christmas it is too early to claim wii is now doomed, have we not learned anything from wii yet??

the recent move events in japan may take huge sales from wii tho, most of them in the events looked really impressed, it will all come down to money, and Japenese love to eat up new gadgets

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Metallicube said:

Ugh, I'm looking forward to the Xbox 360 slim boost wearing off so people will stop going nuts over the Wii sales.

You have to remember, Sony and MS are huge corporations with lots of money in their pocket and marketing tactics. Nintendo's disruptive strategies have worked well thus far, but now MS and Sony are trying to respond by throwing everything they can at the Wii. BOTH companies have released console redesigns, and both have had several pricecuts. The third party support of both also trumps Wii's.

The way I see it, all three have offered console redesigns and all three have offered similar numbers of price cuts. The Wii is simply a redesigned/refocused Gamecube after all. Nintendo has cut the price $50 and added value by throwing in the M attachment and Wii Sports resort at no extra charge whereas Microsoft has cut the price (U.S) from $299 and $399 to $199 and $299 respectively which is effectually a 33% and 25% price cut which is comparable to the Wiis 20% price cut and the addition of Wii Sports Resort. Sony's larger price cut is simply a function of the fact that they started at a much higher price and their costs have fallen much more quickly due to the cutting edge nature of the PS3 at release.

Metallicube said:

Once the holiday season rolls around everything will be back to normal, and Wii will return to massive sales. Why? Because Wii will begin to have system movers again, which they really have not had in 9 months. As I've been saying, all you need to do is take a look at Wii's games this year so far and it quickly becomes obvious why Wii sales are down.

The big games so far this year are as follows: Mario Galaxy 2, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment, Monster Hunter Tri. None of these games are system movers. So essentially NSMB Wii has had to carry console sales for a good 9 months all on its own. That's no easy feat. I find it funny that anyone can think those titles I mentioned have the ability to move consoles.

While most people here seem to be raving about price cuts, new console models, and Wii immitation controllers, it is software that truly drives hardware. While it's all well and good that Nintendo has focused its lineup on more core games this year, the tradeoff is that they don't get as many sales, because those titles only appeal to a niche of core gamers. 

But as far as I'm concerned, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Party, Wii Relax, Goldeneye, Kirby, and Epic Mickey are much stronger titles and actually do have the ability to move consoles.

Im personally not as confident as you are. Whilst it would please me to be wrong, it just seems that the Wii cannot bring together a total package and therefore cannot go upstream in the market to challenge the Xbox 360 and PS3 on their home turf. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have ~52% of the hardware market however they control ~65% of the software market for full release titles and likely just under 70% of total software revenue if you count the online component as  well. If its software which drives hardware then the software market is also coinciding with increased relative Xbox 360 and PS3 sales compared to the Wii as the relative hardware numbers are similar to the relative software numbers so far this year.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly.php

Tease.

haxxiy said:

Well it all depends on this holiday I guess. It's not safe to do such doom predictions anymore since holidays last year on the USA.

In my humble opinion, Wii is following the GBA path having very strong early years and then suddenly dropping out of the spotlights. In a grander scale, of course, but it has no impending successor as an excuse. Looking how things are happening right now, the same is happening to the DS (in it's own scale, mind you) so maybe is just the way Nintendo platforms behave nowadays.

By the way, this generation is way more balanced already. It is not hard to compare and see:

Worldwide hardware 31st July 2004 -

PS2 212,627 (-14%) 69,924,823
XB 77,611 ( 1%) 15,477,692
GC 51,029 (-2%)

Worldwide hardware 31st July 2010 -

X360 195,120 (-12%) 41,710,061
PS3 151,976 ( 24%) 36,327,839
Wii 149,898 (-0%) 73,027,003

I love how this is the most balance generation. I hope people remembered that the PS2 came out a year before the other systems. So people got PS2s, and nothing else. Also at that time Sony had major  exclusive titles that keep the other consoles from gaining ground. Unlike now where the Wii was the last system on the market yet it's 30 million ahead. So The Wii is controlling this generation as much as the PS2 was. The Wii has still out sold both systems every month this year expect for last month. After Microsoft did another of their please buy our systems price cuts. The Wii has still outsold the PS3 in Japan so far this year. Even with the improve amount of games the PS3 has been getting. So in other words make this thread again in Jan of 11. If Kinect, Move, or a new price cut. Helps the 360 or PS3 to out sale the Wii for more than 3 to 4 months. Then the Wii will really have a problem.

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

TheWon said:

So The Wii is controlling this generation as much as the PS2 was.

Ps2 marketshare: 74%

Wii marketshare: 48%

Third party support: Not even close

Can't find any figures on total software sales but I think ps2 dominated the market on that aspect with close to 70% marketshare. Wii has less than 45% share of the software sold this gen.

How is wii controlling as much as the ps2 was?

Antabus said:
TheWon said:

So The Wii is controlling this generation as much as the PS2 was.

Ps2 marketshare: 74%

Wii marketshare: 48%

Third party support: Not even close

Can't find any figures on total software sales but I think ps2 dominated the market on that aspect with close to 70% marketshare. Wii has less than 45% share of the software sold this gen.

How is wii controlling as much as the ps2 was?

It's not.

It's also worth noting that the PS2 had more competition... With the Dreamcast, Xbox and Gamecube. Wii only has 360 and PS3 to contend with.

OT:
As I have said before... I wouldn't be surprised to see these following things happen on a regular basis next year -

NA - 360 > Wii > PS3
EMEAA - PS3 > Wii = 360
Japan - PS3 > Wii > 360

I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Wii replacement from Nintendo ready for the Holidays 2011. Wii support isn't looking all that great, and they will try to launch Super-Wii with the same kind of support the 3DS seems to be getting.