By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okay we got to discuss this - Wii/Sales

Salnax said:

The Wii hasn't had a big game since NSMBW, and this time last year was when Wii Sports Resort came out. Of course sales are going to be lower. Besides, the Wii traditionally sells a shitload of units towards the end of the year. I'll admit though, even though the Wii will still win this generation, Nintendomination might be ending.

wow 0_0 really now? I don't agree with this one bit cuz of games like SMG2 and MH but let's say if this is true...then isn't that a bad sign in itself?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Yea I talk about it all the time, and then get called an idiot and stuff.. I mean I did make that prediction thread!

Why do they do that?

Don't those people know, the Wii is already dead, GTA4 killed it.

On Topic:

It is extremely disappointing that despite a price cut Wii seems to be down YOY, and not by just a bit, a big bit.

I dunno what the problem is but I can definitely say I am not a happy Wii owner, it just doesn't have too many games to interest me, maybe others are feeling the same and this is why its sales have declined.

Another thing is the 2nd and 3rd place consoles this gen have been much much stronger than last gen's, obviously this has to do with the 3rd party support they got. But recently in Japan we have seen PS3 selling 3rd party games better than the Wii too, which shouldn't be happening.

Its a weird generation for sure!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Well it all depends on this holiday I guess. It's not safe to do such doom predictions anymore since holidays last year on the USA.

In my humble opinion, Wii is following the GBA path having very strong early years and then suddenly dropping out of the spotlights. In a grander scale, of course, but it has no impending successor as an excuse. Looking how things are happening right now, the same is happening to the DS (in it's own scale, mind you) so maybe is just the way Nintendo platforms behave nowadays.

By the way, this generation is way more balanced already. It is not hard to compare and see:

Worldwide hardware 31st July 2004 -

PS2 212,627 (-14%) 69,924,823
XB 77,611 ( 1%) 15,477,692
GC 51,029 (-2%)

Worldwide hardware 31st July 2010 -

X360 195,120 (-12%) 41,710,061
PS3 151,976 ( 24%) 36,327,839
Wii 149,898 (-0%) 73,027,003

So Wii is down just 75k year on year and it's all doom and gloom now?

Donkey Kong, Kirby, Zelda, Pikmin, Vitality Sensor, price cuts, bundles, new colors, etc....

Now tell me how many of you saw Wii Fit coming?
Now tell me how many of you saw Mario Kart Wii coming?
Now tell me how many of you saw New Super mario Bros coming?
Now tell me how many of you saw the success of the Wii coming?

So don't start claiming doom when Nintendo has the most uncanny ability to humble their doubters by hitting them with something they never saw coming. 

If you're basing you prediction on the false notion that sales are down 50% year on year (sales are practically even, as I noted above) and on the little information you think you know that Nintendo will do, then you've already failed the prediction badly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Stupid Nintendo let the momentum die since 2008 and it begins to show. It's not the end of all things Wii, yet there's no return to former glory. Especially after the 3DS release, which'll hurt both the DS and Wii.

Around the Network

Well, Wii is aging, and Microsoft and Sony are doing big things for their consoles. I see ads everywhere for Xbox and Playstation, but no more for Wii.

MS and Sony also have new control schemes coming their way, while Nintendo isn't doing anything drastic. Sure you can say a TON of games are coming out this holiday, but the only people that are excited are the people that already have Wiis. So many games came out already for the Wii since 2006, so how will these new releases create more sales?

My guess is that E3, Nintendo actually catered to the core. Many happy fans, including me, were estatic about the announcements, but what about the "blue ocean" audience? They had Wii Party, and...? I don't think a lot of people were thinking, "Well I don't have a Wii yet, but the E3 made me want to buy one." Basically, the E3 catered to the people that already have a Wii IMO, while Microsoft and Sony attempted to attract new audiences.

With that said, Nintendo is NOT doom and gloom. Wii will hve slower sales, but they seem like doom because we're used to 250-300K weekly, which is actually insane for any console. Nintendo also still has options left to attract audiences. (Good God, they need a player's choice. I still see Twilight Princess for $50)

Long story short: Yes the Wii sales dropped, and it's sad. But it's also normal, and the other companies have done major changes to take away some sales. Wii fans (me included) should not cry over the sales, but accept the fact that Nintendo is no longer invincible in the home console department.

Didn't this exact same discussion happen last year when wii sales slowed and then NSMBWii came out and Nintendo sold like almost 4 million wii's in december.

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

Ok, let's just give it some time. And we'll see what happens.

Maynard_Tool said:

Ok, let's just give it some time. And we'll see what happens.

This time I won't say your overreacting cus the OP actually said "Could this be the end of the Wii"

WOOF!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

While I can't say the Wii is doing neither fantastic or terrible at the moment, I think we need to wait 'til after holidays to see if it continues to decline or if it regains some of it's momentum.