By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA July 31st UP!

Why is it everyone is talking about the 360s SW being low and no one is mentioning the DS SW? They're both selling loads of HW but they are selling less SW than PS3 & Wii. Please don't give me the piracy excuse for DS because the 360 has piracy too.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
Goddbless said:

Why is it everyone is talking about the 360s SW being low and no one is mentioning the DS SW? They're both selling loads of HW but they are selling less SW than PS3 & Wii. Please don't give me the piracy excuse for DS because the 360 has piracy too.

I could be mistaken but I don't think the new model has been cracked yet. And even before the new model came out it's always been much, much easier to pirate DS games compared to 360 games.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

binary solo said:

Actually AFAIK the big 3 all report the same these days: shipped to retail. None of the big 3 report sold to consumer, because, well, nobody nows this number accurately down to the last console. And when companies report sales figures for financial reporting purposes they can't report estimates, they have to report actual number of units sold. The only numbers they can report accurately are the number of consoles that leave the factory floor (but at that point they are stock on hand in the console maker's inventory), and the number of consoles they invoice to THEIR customers, meaning retailers/independant distributors.

The issue is that the definition of "shipped to retail" may vary some by company.  We don't have enough information to conclusive say all three use identical accounting methods.

Also, Nintendo always gives out estimated sellthrough figures in their annual reports and supplemental presentations, which they credit to NPD, GfK and Media-Create.  Many companies use 3rd party estimates for sell-through in IR, Square Enix famously even cited VGC.  Who says they can't report estimates?

gergroy said:
postofficebuddy said:

If 360 see's a moderate drop-off in Americas and and PS3 a slight rise they could be close to tied this week or within about 10k-20k. Japan is hard to say, could be anywhere from a 35k lead to 50k plus. PS3 has a VERY good shot at outselling Wii.

wow, how much systems do you think japan sells?  japan usually only moves about 20 to 25k on average each week as far as ps3's go, unless there is some big game release.  With the 360 pulling about 6k from there they usually are only up by about 19k from there.  I'd expect the margin to be more like 60 to 70k in 360 favor worldwide.  

Allow me to correct myself, I didn't mean this week I meant last week (7/25-7/31). And I don't think you've been keeping up with Japan news.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

This week VGC (or real last week) the PS3 I guess sold 40k or more in Japan... and not surprise me near 60k.

Around the Network

Still the X360 selling 100K? Amazing.

huge xbxo 360 sales in europe which is sonyland. outselling the ps3 2-1 with JUST a redisign and no price drop....simply amazing

I would be worried if i was sony, the ps3 is only up 1% from last year EVEN AFTER the $100 dollar price cut. Last year at this time ps3 was $100 more expensive. Scary stuff for kaz and stringer

PizzaFaceGamer said:

huge xbxo 360 sales in europe which is sonyland. outselling the ps3 2-1 with JUST a redisign and no price drop....simply amazing

Funny considering that not 100% of the 99k sold are 360 S

PizzaFaceGamer said:

I would be worried if i was sony, the ps3 is only up 1% from last year EVEN AFTER the $100 dollar price cut. Last year at this time ps3 was $100 more expensive. Scary stuff for kaz and stringer

Why would sony be worried?  In the face of a lower price xbox and a redesigned xbox, PS3 sales havent flinched, is stil lup YOY with no software release or price cut and its the slowest part of the year.