By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

wfz said:
Demotruk said:
wfz said:
Khuutra said:

Not at all, no.

END-GAME SPOILER, DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME:

I think the funniest thing about Samus's reaction to Ridley is how differently Anthony reacts. Samus sees Ridley, freezes up, has to be saved, can't summon up her suit in time to save Anthony.

Anthony is falling to his death but is still clear-headed enough to freeze a lava monster and use it as a platform to survive certain death.

I think we know who the real hero of this story is

Khuutra, if you're arguing that Samus doesn't have PTSD, then that's a different argument and I'd like to hear your reason why.

However, if you are acknowledging her PTSD, that is an absolute bitch-slap in the face to anyone who suffers from the disorder. Your post wasn't funny at all. Maybe you should take time to learn about the disorder and be a little more forgiving to those who suffer from it.

You've got to be kidding me..

The Samus in Other M may be consistent with PTSD, but 1) that is not consistent with the hero of seven other adventures who never once displays a trait like this and 2) just because a character is now depicted as having PTSD doesn't mean she *should* have been depicted that way. Especially with a player character this is a stupid idea, it may reinforce delusions of 'progressing game art' but people DO NOT want to play as a character who suddenly starts acting up beyond the player's control before a battle. Cry "offensive" all you like, but people would rather play the cool and collected character as Anthony was in that case who was able to use his ingenuity and quick thinking to escape almost certain death.

You completely missed my points, congratulations. You're arguing on a side topic of whether or not it's a good idea to have the main character experience PTSD.

I was on a completely different path with my post and I was only sticking up for people in real life who suffer from this disease, and how Khuutra's post is completely demeaning the seriousness and impact of PTSD, like it's silly.

It's just really getting on my nerves because a lot of people recently have shown their lack of understanding of PTSD and are saying completely outlandish and hurtful words completely demeaning those who suffer from it.

PDST isn't silly, and Khuutra's post did not imply that. Samus having PTSD is silly, the hero of an action adventure game having PDST is silly.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
wfz said:
Demotruk said:
wfz said:
Khuutra said:

Not at all, no.

I think the funniest thing about Samus's reaction to Ridley is how differently Anthony reacts. Samus sees Ridley, freezes up, has to be saved, can't summon up her suit in time to save Anthony.

Anthony is falling to his death but is still clear-headed enough to freeze a lava monster and use it as a platform to survive certain death.

Khuutra, if you're arguing that Samus doesn't have PTSD, then that's a different argument and I'd like to hear your reason why.

However, if you are acknowledging her PTSD, that is an absolute bitch-slap in the face to anyone who suffers from the disorder. Your post wasn't funny at all. Maybe you should take time to learn about the disorder and be a little more forgiving to those who suffer from it.

The Samus in Other M may be consistent with PTSD, but 1) that is not consistent with the hero of seven other adventures who never once displays a trait like this and 2) just because a character is now depicted as having PTSD doesn't mean she *should* have been depicted that way. Especially with a player character this is a stupid idea, it may reinforce delusions of 'progressing game art' but people DO NOT want to play as a character who suddenly starts acting up beyond the player's control before a battle. Cry "offensive" all you like, but people would rather play the cool and collected character as Anthony was in that case who was able to use his ingenuity and quick thinking to escape almost certain death.

You completely missed my points, congratulations. You're arguing on a side topic of whether or not it's a good idea to have the main character experience PTSD.

I was on a completely different path with my post and I was only sticking up for people in real life who suffer from this disease, and how Khuutra's post is completely demeaning the seriousness and impact of PTSD, like it's silly.

It's just really getting on my nerves because a lot of people recently have shown their lack of understanding of PTSD and are saying completely outlandish and hurtful words completely demeaning those who suffer from it.

PDST isn't silly, and Khuutra's post did not imply that. Samus having PTSD is silly, the hero of an action adventure game having PDST is silly.

You say PTSD isn't silly, and then go on to mention that a hero having PTSD is silly. Wow.

Right, I'm done with this thread.

wfz said:
Demotruk said:
wfz said:
Demotruk said:
wfz said:
Khuutra said:

Not at all, no.

You say PTSD isn't silly, and then go on to mention that a hero having PTSD is silly. Wow.

That is NOT inconsistent. Having PSTD is not to joke about. But making a character have it seemingly out of nowhere (the manga can't count since few have read it) is what the issue is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

wfz said:

Why not argue the point? You can't defend the idea that having a the player hero have an inhibiting mental disorder is not a bad idea?

Demotruk said:
wfz said:

Why not argue the point? You can't defend the idea that having a the player hero have an inhibiting mental disorder is not a bad idea?

Ahem. I am by no means a proponent of needless cut scenes, but I can think of quite a few ways to have neurotical episodes as the basis of a very mechanically interesting game - in fact, I know a few that have done it already. It is this kind of dogmaticism that leads to bland game design.

With that, Metroid: Other M still looks to be a suboptimal Metroid experience.

Around the Network

^If we are talking about hypotheticals like that we're talking about completely different kinds of games. This is an action adventure we're talking about, something like the above might work well in a horror game, but if you put it in something like Metroid it wouldn't go down very well.

Even in a horror game it would have to have some degree of control left to the player unlike Other M where control is taken away in order to show the player character breaking down totally independent of player input.

Demotruk said:

^If we are talking about hypotheticals like that we're talking about completely different kinds of games. This is an action adventure we're talking about, something like the above might work well in a horror game, but if you put it in something like Metroid it wouldn't go down very well.

Even in a horror game it would have to have some degree of control left to the player unlike Other M where control is taken away in order to show the player character breaking down totally independent of player input.

And one of the first Silent Hill games would have done it right. You'd have control, but be trapped in seeing the flashback of her trauma, and unable to stop anything, since it's in her mind. Then things turn to normal, and you're laying on the ground with Ridley going after the rest of the squad.

But that still would have made more sense in a prequel game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Demotruk said:

That depends. Breaking genre conventions can be a powerful thing. Like I said, there are games that effectively remove the player's agency during gameplay without breaking his suspension of disbelief. Not just horror games, but rpgs and action adventures tend to do this, as well as some of Nintendo's own games (Sunshine being a prime example).

In this case, if Samus did not have acess to her suit during the Ridley battle and had to avoid or combat him indirectly... that could be a very powerful gameplay experience - regardless of what you think of her characterization - and a cutscene like this where she 'breaks down' would be a potent way of introducing the player to this concept.

^Honestly, that idea sounds abysmal to me, and I think most people would find it annoying rather than enjoyable, but hey, if it's your own money, sure.

It may be more persuasive to use examples from successful games, not games that underperformed compared to their predecessors.

Demotruk said:

^Honestly, that idea sounds abysmal to me, and I think most people would find it annoying rather than enjoyable, but hey, if it's your own money, sure.

It may be more persuasive to use examples from successful games, not games that underperformed compared to their predecessors.

If the Zero suit should be in a game, it should be something like the suit... whatever generator is missing, and that's one of the first power up she finds.