By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

Umos-Cmos said:

Pheeew, I made it through the entire editorial.  The author(s) back up their opinion with good research that's for sure.  While I don't agree with every point they make I'm not going to take the time to justify my opinion.  I do agree with at least one point though.  Adam came off as a total douche throughout the game.  One point I didn't understand was this.  I never viewed Samus as a feminist in the traditional sense, (the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men) but I guess by definition she would be.  I didn't really care about her gender and what that means to womens rights in the far away future.  I don't look to video games to influence my opinions on the role of women in society.  I just viewed her as a tough bounty hunter with an awesome alien made suit with cool abilities and add-ons.  As long as Metroid has that you can count me in.

Ultimately the opinion piece was written well enough for credibility even if it was just as melodramatic as the game's story.  For example:

"If Metroid: Other M is indicative of the direction the Metroid series will be going from now on, I’m afraid I can no longer be a Metroid fan. For that matter, if Other M represents what Metroid’s creators had intended all along but hadn’t made clear until now, then I was never really a Metroid fan to begin with.

Fortunately, Sakamoto himself admits that he hadn’t thought deeply about Samus Aran’s characterization prior to Other M. Now, however, it may be time for Nintendo to think more deeply about Yoshio Sakamoto."

Pretty dramatic don't you think?

Not at all,   accurate in my opinion

Around the Network

I finally finished the game! Wow, I finally had some time to play it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As many of you, I was a bit dissapointed at the beginning, that part in the story where she was "young and naive" and the "thumbs down" thing was awful, terrible!

But after that I really enjoyed the story and loved the ending. I don't agree with people saying that Samus character is destroyed forever. I feel quite the contrary, I now see her more badass than ever. Before she was just a souless character, now we know she cares for some people, she may have fear and even then stands up and fight, I liked that.

A great action adventure game, a must have for Wii owners, BUT.... not the best Metroid experience. It seems they tried to make a game for the "non-Metroid fan".

- Didn't like to explore in games?

No problem! You have a lot of things to explore, but is not really necessary or fun because most of the things you find are missiles and energy parts. Explore for the sake of exploring but there's no much reward in it.

- Got lost easily in other Metroids?

Game is very linear and with the exception of one or two areas you will always know where to go, and there's little backtracking.

- Hate awesome music?

Don't worry! The music in this games is non-existant. For me that's the worst thing in the game.

Even with this problems I thought it was great. The action, boss battles, platforming is very well done. Some design flaws here and there though.

The same game with Metroid music, more exploration and backtracking, no Adam's system to use things and no over-the-shoulder-gameplay (WTF!?)......would had done wonders with this game.

Still, a great game and one of the best games on Wii.

9/10

Edit: Weird enough, I can't imagine another Metroid game without story and voice acting .... I think I have to play Prime asap!  =S

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

^okay, that was funny, but they forgot about Alfred:

"Bruce, you will only use batarangs on my command"

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

uh, Batman has always been a wreck whenever he let's his emotions run wild. He's the original emo

Just finished the game a couple days ago and I started playing on hard mode.  I have to say, hard mode doesn't even feel like a Metroid game.  No power-up collecting, and you spend most of your time dodging and 'concentrating'.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

interview with Jessica Martin:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-voice-metroid-other/707255

Bobbuffalo said:

I really hope that Sakamoto gets reasigned to a more appropiate position for him (like  printing covers for the DVD) instead of inserting us down his damn geek and otaku vision of a usedtobe great character.

You don't even begin to know what the hell you are talking about, so shut your face and do some actual research.

... Oh wait, that was posted on November 25. I guess that's what you get for not visiting more often.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

- Douglas Adams

UnstableGriffin said:
Bobbuffalo said:

I really hope that Sakamoto gets reasigned to a more appropiate position for him (like  printing covers for the DVD) instead of inserting us down his damn geek and otaku vision of a usedtobe great character.

You don't even begin to know what the hell you are talking about, so shut your face and do some actual research.

... Oh wait, that was posted on November 25. I guess that's what you get for not visiting more often.

Grow up, kid. Let the adults speak.

Bobbuffalo said:
UnstableGriffin said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Grow up, kid. Let the adults speak.

... Sorry, what adults? All I see is a guy trying to act tough by using the same old "I'm older than so, that makes me ten times more mentally mature than you!"/"NO U" arguement.

Seriously? "Damn geek and otaku vision"? I don't what kind of drugs you are taking, but I want some. Plus, I still think you don't even know what you're talking about.

... Oh, this was posted 13 days ago. Man, I really can't keep up with the time.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

- Douglas Adams

Alas, thread was finally unsticked. I had hoped it would push to 1,000 posts, but no matter.

A good run for my first (and likely only for some time) official thread.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.