By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Does MS even have any first party games?

They have lots of second party.  Halo, Viva Pinata, PGR, Forza, Gears, etc.

Most of the Nintendo games you are thinking of as first party are actually second party (Pokemon, Metroid, and many others).  

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

They have lots of second party. Halo, Viva Pinata, PGR, Forza, Gears, etc.

Most of the Nintendo games you are thinking of as first party are actually second party (Pokemon, Metroid, and many others).

Actually I could classify Viva Pinata as 1st party and most of the others as second party.  I think of second party as being made by an independent developer but that is published by the first party so Gears which is made by the multiplatform Epic (I think) is 2nd party though the game itself is only for xbox since its published by MS.  Viva Pinata is 1st because Rare is wholly owned by MS (though they are making one or two games for DS for some odd reason).

By that system, most of the Nintendo games are first party since Metroid/Pokemon are owned by Nintendo while some games like Zelda:Four Swords and the recent Starfox games are 2nd party since they were done by multiplatform distributors.  

I find that its easier to define parties using that definition. 

darconi said:
naznatips said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

They have lots of second party. Halo, Viva Pinata, PGR, Forza, Gears, etc.

Actually I could classify Viva Pinata as 1st party and most of the others as second party.  I think of second party as being made by an independent developer but that is published by the first party so Gears which is made by the multiplatform Epic (I think) is 2nd party though the game itself is only for xbox since its published by MS.  Viva Pinata is 1st because Rare is wholly owned by MS (though they are making one or two games for DS for some odd reason).

By that system, most of the Nintendo games are first party since Metroid/Pokemon are owned by Nintendo while some games like Zelda:Four Swords and the recent Starfox games are 2nd party since they were done by multiplatform distributors.  

I find that its easier to define parties using that definition. 

Rare is classified as a second party developer and their games are classified as second party games.  Similarly, Game Freak and Retro are second parties to Nintendo.  Whether you agree with that definition or not doesn't really matter because its the correct one.

@naz

If MS owns Rare, how are they second party? They are part of Microsoft.

Id consider Insomniac a second party b/c the make Sony games, but Sony doesn't own them.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Well Retro doesn't own the Metroid license and similarly has only made 3 games, the rest tend to be made in-house.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
@naz

If MS owns Rare, how are they second party? They are part of Microsoft.

Id consider Insomniac a second party b/c the make Sony games, but Sony doesn't own them.

The same way Retro is owned by Nintendo and is considered a second party.

Missing alot of 360 games. Lost Planet, NCAA football, Overlord, Two worlds, Fifa , Pro Evo soccer, The orange box, Lego Star wars.

eugene said:
Missing alot of 360 games. Lost Planet, NCAA football, Overlord, Two worlds, Fifa , Pro Evo soccer, The orange box, Lego Star wars.

Thank you. Comparing only the top 15 is quite limiting considering each 1 on the list is higher on the 360. Except, oh wait, Lost Planet is 4th on the list and omitted. It's also coming to the PS3.

Also, a lot of those games are also on the PS3, and porting to the PS3 or to the 360 from the PS3 (such as Burnout) is going to cost less than developing an entirely new game for the Wii.

A lot of you guys are telling Legend and others that they should consider the development costs, well you can also add all of the rest of the third party games and then count the PS3 versions as well.

Edit:  Oblivion isn't counted since the expansions have come out. 

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Do you serve any purpose besides trolling?

--

And I was going to comment that Lost Planet was left off the list but that observation has already been made.  And of course Gears of War misses out by being released two weeks before the Wii launched.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Go look at the North American charts for the top 30 games and count the number of third party 360 games and Wii games in that list. I counted 2 Wii games. If anyone actually thinks that the Wii is the bread and butter of third parties they're mistaken. I should take that last comment back, they are the bread and butter for third parties that release crap like Ninjabread Man. But for third parties that rely on hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue each year they're far from a sure thing.