By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

naznatips said:

The top 50 third party games breakup by console according to last week's American sales are as follows:

Xbox 360: 16 games
Wii: 14 games
Playstation 3: 8 games
Playstation 2: 8 games
DS: 3 games
PSP: 1 game

Mass Effect isn't counted because it's Microsoft funded and published. Marvel Ultimate Alliance isn't counted because it's a pack-in, and the developer makes no money off those sales.

Of course the actual sales total for the Wii games is more like 2/3 of the 360 games, but the point is clear, and Wii sales are that strong without any major releases recently past Guitar Hero 3 and RE:UC. Whereas the 360 just had CoD4, GH3, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed. Of course the 360 also has a larger market share in America.  Have you been shamed enough for one day, or are you going to post anymore illogical BS in this topic before you log off tonight?

Look your numbers are completely out of context.  I posted links to financial reports that show the major third parties are making FAR more off the 360 in terms of revenue than the Wii, it's in black and white.  You can go ahead and post that the Wii has 14 games in the top 50 third party but you don't take into consideration how many Wii titles are actually released compared to 360 titles and the fact that it's a given that most titles 1st week is basically their best week ever.  You can feel free to spout numbers all you wish but I have more trust in financial statements from third parties rather than numbers in a list that could be off 20% or more.

Around the Network

As for PS3, I think this list is correct (as far as the numbers in the game database are updated, that is):

1 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 0.79m
2 Assassins Creed 0.74m
3 FIFA 08 0.67m
4 Ridge Racer 7 0.61m
5 Need for Speed: Carbon 0.61m
6 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 0.58m
7 Call of Duty 3 0.53m
8 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 0.51m
9 Madden NFL 08 0.50m
10 Fight Night Round 3 0.47m
11 Madden NFL 07 0.46m
12 Virtua Fighter 5 0.45m
13 FIFA Soccer 08 0.41m
14 Dynasty Warriors Gundam 0.34m
15 Need for Speed: ProStreet 0.34m

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:

The top 50 third party games breakup by console according to last week's American sales are as follows:

Xbox 360: 16 games
Wii: 14 games
Playstation 3: 8 games
Playstation 2: 8 games
DS: 3 games
PSP: 1 game

Mass Effect isn't counted because it's Microsoft funded and published. Marvel Ultimate Alliance isn't counted because it's a pack-in, and the developer makes no money off those sales.

Of course the actual sales total for the Wii games is more like 2/3 of the 360 games, but the point is clear, and Wii sales are that strong without any major releases recently past Guitar Hero 3 and RE:UC. Whereas the 360 just had CoD4, GH3, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed. Of course the 360 also has a larger market share in America. Have you been shamed enough for one day, or are you going to post anymore illogical BS in this topic before you log off tonight?

Look your numbers are completely out of context. I posted links to financial reports that show the major third parties are making FAR more off the 360 in terms of revenue than the Wii, it's in black and white. You can go ahead and post that the Wii has 14 games in the top 50 third party but you don't take into consideration how many Wii titles are actually released compared to 360 titles and the fact that it's a given that most titles 1st week is basically their best week ever. You can feel free to spout numbers all you wish but I have more trust in financial statements from third parties rather than numbers in a list that could be off 20% or more.

In that case would you mind finding and posting the financial's for all third parties between Wii's launch and now which released games on Wii & 360? If not then forget your argument as it is solely based on cherry picking data.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

naznatips said:

I just explained to you why you shouldn't do this up there, and you make the same completely retarded argument. Let's go through your lack of logic once again, because for some reason you seem to want everyone to mock your posts. I swear Legend I didn't think it was possible for me to have less respect for you.

Look I don't care what you think of me, but I'd appreciate it if you'd at least keep things civil.  I haven't insulted you personally in this thread and I expect the same courtesy.

Actually nevermind I'm out of here anyways.  Between the constant trolling in the PS3 and 360 forums I'm actually surprised anyone who has one of those as their system of choice stays in these forums.  They definitely must have a thick skin.  If seeing RROD mentioned in the 360 forum or bashing of the PS3 in the PS3 forum was a drinking game we'd have people dying from alcohol poisoning.  You can pretty much guaranteed no matter what 360 game a thread is about there you'll get some ass saying something like "Looks good but too bad the 360 has RROD or I'd try it".  You can also guarantee that any thread with good news about the PS3 will be filled with people bashing it.

And anyone who actually doesn't agree with threads like this one (nevermind the fact that titles were ignored, userbases and launches weren't taken into consideration, far too small of a sample was taken, missing titles were discovered, etc) and wanted to paint a real picture of the revenue being generated by major Western third parties by using REAL WORLD numbers their arguments are called "retarded" and they're subjected to insults.  Oh and the numbers were never about profit (I'm not aware of that being broken down) it was about the fact that the major third parties are obviously selling a lot of product on the 360 and in some cases (the three I chose because their products are represented in those lists) it's more than 1.5 or 2 times as much as on the Wii.

Have fun, maybe some of the people here will get their wish and these forums will be just Wii owners agreeing with each other.  I'm sure that will make for some great discussions.

Is posting about 360 revenue really that relevent? Revenue is the amount of money the company makes without deducting all the expenses i.e. Developement costs, marketing costs etc.

So as has been said a million times, although a company may generate more revenue from their 360 projects, there is no guarentee they're making more profit then on the Wii. I'm sure all the America publishers like EA and Activision are raking in alot of profit on the platform, but then those in Europe and Asia seem to be more liable to success on the Wii from what I've seen.

It's also worth remembering third parties arn't going to be looking just at software sales today, they're going to be looking at what they think they'll be in 12 - 18 months when the game they decide to start developing now actually comes out. Wii hardware sales are also a big factor in how third parties are going to shape up the best platform to dedicate resources too.

Around the Network

this doesn't work

for most of the year, there were fewer wiis than 360s sold...the first few months we are talking about MILLIONS less user base

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Legend11 said:

If seeing RROD mentioned in the 360 forum or bashing of the PS3 in the PS3 forum was a drinking game

...those forums would be a lot more fun.

btw, those saying 360 are cheaper to develop because porting from ps3 to 360 is cheap...

remember that a good portion of the 3rd party wii titles are ported from ps2

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Given the utterly abysmal 3rd party games out so far for Wii, compounded by less consoles on the market for half the year, further compounded by the once in a great while glut of awesome games (mostly 360) ...

that's a pretty impressive showing for the Wii.

I'd be curious about a 1st year vs 1st year analysis. Or maybe we can necro this thread for the 360 figures in a year to see how Wii and 360 2nd year 3rd party sales stand up.

cAPSLOCK said:
Given the utterly abysmal 3rd party games out so far for Wii, compounded by less consoles on the market for half the year, further compounded by the once in a great while glut of awesome games (mostly 360) ...

that's a pretty impressive showing for the Wii.

I'd be curious about a 1st year vs 1st year analysis. Or maybe we can necro this thread for the 360 figures in a year to see how Wii and 360 2nd year 3rd party sales stand up.

That was the point cAPSLOCK.  Legend doesn't seem to grasp it. 

No one is denying that the 360 is easily the most successful console in third party sales right now, but as soon as someone brought up that the Wii third party sales were pretty good too, he decided to troll the topic.

Legend, nothing in life is black and white.  There are always other variables and facts to analyze.  The fact that you refuse to do so makes me seriously question your purpose on this website. The point of game sales data is to help analyze those other facts and variables.  You ignoring data, facts, and circumstances has become increasingly tiresome of late.  

The Wii isn't evil. The 360 isn't good.  Sales aren't just "good or bad."  There is more to these things than the top layer, and until you learn to look past the figures you want to see and into all facets of sales data you will never have a comprehensive understanding of the market.  

I don't understand why everyone on this forum wants to make a good thing for one company into a bad thing for another. People there can be more than one successful console in this industry.  In fact, surprise, all 3 can be successful.  *gasp* crazy thought I know!  You don't have to attack any good news you read for another company.