By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

outlawauron said:
Dynasty Warriors 6Koei3,2635.910.29m

Here is the PS3 top ten with boxarts and such.

PS3 third party sales are so bad that it needs 15 games to make a top ten!

Around the Network

PosConsoleNamePublisherTotal
Gears Of War
Microsoft2,099,425
Madden NFL 07
EA1,380,426
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ubisoft1,136,063
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Take 2974,007
Call of Duty 3
Activision855,709
Call of Duty 2
Activision1,319,553
Fight Night Round 3
EA681,468
NCAA Football 07
EA657,213
Saints Row
THQ651,798
Dead Rising
Capcom610,706
Wii Sports
Nintendo6,705,602
Wii Play
Nintendo3,037,050
Mario Party 8
Nintendo1,458,651
Super Mario Galaxy
Nintendo1,106,571
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo2,076,401
Super Paper Mario
Nintendo835,171
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Nintendo755,560
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Activision549,276
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Nintendo543,943
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Capcom518,681

This is first year sales... I love Wii, I am pro-wii, I am a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, but you can not deny facts.  Only two games crack the top 10. (2007 isn't over yet, still 4 more weeks to post but it won't make that big of a difference in 3rd party ranking.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

PosConsoleNamePublisherTotal
Gears Of War
Microsoft2,099,425
Madden NFL 07
EA1,380,426
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ubisoft1,136,063
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Take 2974,007
Call of Duty 3
Activision855,709
Call of Duty 2
Activision1,319,553
Fight Night Round 3
EA681,468
NCAA Football 07
EA657,213
Saints Row
THQ651,798
Dead Rising
Capcom610,706
Wii Sports
Nintendo6,705,602
Wii Play
Nintendo3,037,050
Mario Party 8
Nintendo1,458,651
Super Mario Galaxy
Nintendo1,106,571
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo2,076,401
Super Paper Mario
Nintendo835,171
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Nintendo755,560
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Activision549,276
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Nintendo543,943
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Capcom518,681

This is first year sales... I love Wii, I am pro-wii, I am a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, but you can not deny facts. Only two games crack the top 10. (2007 isn't over yet, still 4 more weeks to post but it won't make that big of a difference in 3rd party ranking.)

Why are you quoting US figures only though?I mean Wii's been far more successful then the 360 in Japan and Others, so when you only look at the USA obviously the 360 is going to come out looking better.

Looking at the top 10 is far to linear and niave to try and get a good look at what is successful. Games like Gears of War / Dead Rising / Saints Row had a huge amount of investment put into then, they need to sell alot to ever return what was put into making them. On the other hand, when  Wii games like Red Steel / Rayman Raving Rabids / Sonic ATSRs etc were all made on much smaller budgets, with lesser advertising budgets, so they're probably expected to sell much lesser to be 'successful'.

Looking at RE:UC is probably the best example, the game needed to sell 620k for Capcom to meet their target figures. Do you honestly think games like Lost Planet and Dead Rising could return all of their expenses, and make a hearty profit on 620k? (Dead Rising cost $20 million development + $20 million advertising).

@ stranne

Umm, the topic creator had a top 15. I thought he did at least. The third party are not that compared to Wii.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

come the end of this year it will likely be heavily skewed towards the 360, in which case it might shift around more to wii in 2008.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
cAPSLOCK said:
Given the utterly abysmal 3rd party games out so far for Wii, compounded by less consoles on the market for half the year, further compounded by the once in a great while glut of awesome games (mostly 360) ...

that's a pretty impressive showing for the Wii.

I'd be curious about a 1st year vs 1st year analysis. Or maybe we can necro this thread for the 360 figures in a year to see how Wii and 360 2nd year 3rd party sales stand up.

That was the point cAPSLOCK. Legend doesn't seem to grasp it.

No one is denying that the 360 is easily the most successful console in third party sales right now, but as soon as someone brought up that the Wii third party sales were pretty good too, he decided to troll the topic.

Legend, nothing in life is black and white. There are always other variables and facts to analyze. The fact that you refuse to do so makes me seriously question your purpose on this website. The point of game sales data is to help analyze those other facts and variables. You ignoring data, facts, and circumstances has become increasingly tiresome of late.

Dude, he's the same guy who said Super Mario Galaxy is 7 hours long. I know I haven't been here long but even I've noticed his gimmick posting and going out of his way to deny facts in the face of overwhelming evidence is his modus operandi. 

This forum needs an ignore feature. I'm tired of quick scrolling through his posts.

Back to the topic:

I think the single biggest factor here is quality. There has been some horrendous crap on the Wii so far. I mean most of it is the miracle taking a giant shit on a disc and turning it into digital information that plays on the Wii. That's a pretty impressive technological feat.

Hopefully games like RE4 will drive the point home that good games sell well. I honestly don't know what developers are thinking as they essentially have a money printing machine with a little bit of effort. By this time next year the Wii will probaby have 2x the user base of the 360, and most likely more than PS3 and 360 combined.

Eventually they will figure out that digital crap stamped on a disc doesn't sell well. 3rd parties really have no one to blame but themselves on this one.

cAPSLOCK said:
naznatips said:
cAPSLOCK said:
Given the utterly abysmal 3rd party games out so far for Wii, compounded by less consoles on the market for half the year, further compounded by the once in a great while glut of awesome games (mostly 360) ...

that's a pretty impressive showing for the Wii.

I'd be curious about a 1st year vs 1st year analysis. Or maybe we can necro this thread for the 360 figures in a year to see how Wii and 360 2nd year 3rd party sales stand up.

That was the point cAPSLOCK. Legend doesn't seem to grasp it.

No one is denying that the 360 is easily the most successful console in third party sales right now, but as soon as someone brought up that the Wii third party sales were pretty good too, he decided to troll the topic.

Legend, nothing in life is black and white. There are always other variables and facts to analyze. The fact that you refuse to do so makes me seriously question your purpose on this website. The point of game sales data is to help analyze those other facts and variables. You ignoring data, facts, and circumstances has become increasingly tiresome of late.

Dude, he's the same guy who said Super Mario Galaxy is 7 hours long. I know I haven't been here long but even I've noticed his gimmick posting and going out of his way to deny facts in the face of overwhelming evidence is his modus operandi. 

This forum needs an ignore feature. I'm tired of quick scrolling through his posts.

Back to the topic:

I think the single biggest factor here is quality. There has been some horrendous crap on the Wii so far. I mean most of it is the miracle taking a giant shit on a disc and turning it into digital information that plays on the Wii. That's a pretty impressive technological feat.

Hopefully games like RE4 will drive the point home that good games sell well. I honestly don't know what developers are thinking as they essentially have a money printing machine with a little bit of effort. By this time next year the Wii will probaby have 2x the user base of the 360, and most likely more than PS3 and 360 combined.

Eventually they will figure out that digital crap stamped on a disc doesn't sell well. 3rd parties really have no one to blame but themselves on this one.

I completely agree with everything you said here.  Crappy games aren't selling well, and I don't really have a problem with that.  Obviously Capcom has realized they can make money off the Wii, as has Namco.  Square Enix is slowly catching up as well.  All 3 of those companies have some big Wii stuff comming next year.  The major issue is the American companies.  They seem completely unconvinced, and it's not surprising.  They have yet to release anything worthy of good sales on the console. 

naznatips said:
stuff and replies to stuff, a bunch of text reply boxes

I completely agree with everything you said here. Crappy games aren't selling well, and I don't really have a problem with that. Obviously Capcom has realized they can make money off the Wii, as has Namco. Square Enix is slowly catching up as well. All 3 of those companies have some big Wii stuff comming next year. The major issue is the American companies. They seem completely unconvinced, and it's not surprising. They have yet to release anything worthy of good sales on the console.

Well, you have to look at the video game industry in the right light:

When Counter Strike 1.3 came out, the CS crowd threw a massive hissy fit. THIS IS TEH DETH OF COUNTER STRIKE THE COMPETITIVE COMMUNITY IS MAD! >:(

People would cling to 1.2 as long as humanly possible. It doesn't matter what 1.3 improved or made better, they knew 1.3 was utter crap before even playing it or considering it because it was DIFFERENT. They were angry, furious at any change from their precious 1.3. This trend still continues up to Counter Strike: Source. Even within Source any changes bring down the WRATH AND FURY of the Counter Strike crowd.

And since the birth of CS, any kind of change from what is familiar is immediately met with hostility. Why try to learn somethig new when business as usual does just fine?

If you take the DS and Wii out of the equation, the video game industry was incredibly stagnant. The same old thing over and over again because it's familiar and easy. DON'T MESS WITH A PRO GAMER'S GRAVY TRAIN.

I guess what I'm saying here is the video game industry is essentially a bunch of Counter Strike douches.

Edit: So expect a period of "Player 1" meandering onto the server, getting headshot once, then going back to the same old stuff saying "I GAVE IT A TRY AND IT SUCKS THEY RUINED EVERYTHING" 

DKII said:
Revenue is meaningless anyway. I can spend 100 million on a game and take in 80 million in revenue, or I can spend 5 million on a game and take in 10 million in revenue. But the first game did not do 8 times better than the second.

I have a degree in Finance and I must say, that has to be the most RETARTED thing I have ever heard. The first example has a negative 20% rate of return and the second one had a 100% rate of return.... I hope you never try to open a business.... These companies are business and when it comes down to choosing projects they are going to choose what will have the BEST rate of return for them. Sometimes they invest for the future like sony did with putting Blu-ray on the PS3(which I believe was a mistake), but usually it come down to the bottom line.

Put it this way if RRR sold 1.1 million and it cost them 15 million to make and made Ubisoft a profit of 35 million, then AC sell 2 million and it cost 80 million to make giving a profit of 20 million, then RRR was more successful.

However it could be argued that by putting more money into AC they built a solid franchise that they might cash in on later, but that is another story. 

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
DKII said:
Revenue is meaningless anyway. I can spend 100 million on a game and take in 80 million in revenue, or I can spend 5 million on a game and take in 10 million in revenue. But the first game did not do 8 times better than the second.

I have a degree in Finance and I must say, that has to be the most RETARTED thing I have ever heard. The first example has a negative 20% rate of return and the second one had a 100% rate of return.... I hope you never try to open a business....

I think that you are misunderstanding DK, he is saying the 100% of return is better than the 20% loss ,hardly rocket science but it seems you are both in agreement.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.