By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

How did PS3 do for 3rd parties?

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network
superchunk said:
Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:

I am not too sure on that. The first year the most money spent on a console is probably the console itself. I would expect the that software sales increase dramatically between 1 and 2nd year and then probably shoot up again on the third year as there is a significantly rising stagnant base of users who now have a lot of freed up monies for games since by then they already have the console and any neccesary controllers.

I bet for the first year thier biggest determinator is how quickly the consoles themselves are being purchased. i.e. a bigger userbase generally means a much better chance of being profitable on your software.

I have to disagree with you here. If you look at 360's charts you'll see that there are a lot of games sold in it's first year which compete with it's second. Overall I'm sure MS has sold more 3rd party software in '07' but that's mostly due to an increased userbase which will be a common factor over any 2 years of a console's life, the exception being when it's dying out.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

bad or really bad?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

radioioRobert said:
How did PS3 do for 3rd parties?

I'm not sure. Anybody who wants to compile a list can go ahead:)

I didn't include it as I just wanted to concentrate on the system's which would be duking it out for 1st place in 3rd party support, a place that is almost impossible for the PS3 to hold, over the short to mid term anyway.

Hus said:

The Wii did better than I thought. You hear the same old arguments about 3rd party games not selling on Nintendo consoles and other BS, but the numbers prove the contrary. This just makes all those "Wii will stop selling in 2008 because I don't like it!" arguments even sillier with a steadily rising install base and rising software sales.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Great analysis, I like the conclusions you make.

I'm not sure if it would have been better to compare the year of the Wii to the first year of the 360; from a third-party developer's point of view, biggerboat's take is more interesting I'd say.

That still doesn't change the fact that the 360 is a beast software wise, though.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Words Of Wisdom said:
Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:
Well. you are comparing 1st console to a 2nd year console. It would be better to compare 360's 1st year.

I don't think 3rd parties care about aligning launches and years of consoles, they're only interested in what's selling now! Any dev out there that is about to start a new project and wants to know which system to invest in will look at 07 data for both Wii and 360 as it's the most indicative of the current market.

The other point is that the Wii started off with a userbase of 0.

What was the 360's userbase at Nov 19th, 2006 again?

Now that the Wii's userbase has exceeded the 360's, expect better results next year.

The 360's userbase on Nov 19th, 2006 might have been balanced out by the fact that all the games still selling on the system but released prior to Nov 19th weren't being counted.  Actually it doesn't matter anyways and all a person has to do is look at EA's, Ubisoft's, and Activision's financial statements to get a true picture of how much money they've made off each system for the year.  For example the lists makes EA games sold look far closer than they actually were based on EA's breakdown of the percentage of income from each console.

Biggerboat said:
endurance said:
superchunk said:
Well. you are comparing 1st console to a 2nd year console. It would be better to compare 360's 1st year.

yep it would be better,but it would take kinda long

I realise I may come across as biased here but I honestly think comparing 1st years of both consoles is almost meaningless. As I've stated if devs are going to look at software numbers they're going to be looking at the most recent. Look at PS3, as far as I'm aware it's selling roughly the same in it's launch year as 360 did but if you look at where dev's resources are going (mainly 360) then you'll see that that really doesn't matter to them.

I think one consideration for developers would be looking at sales trends for the user base. Your comparison is good for looking at what was selling in the time period. Developers are surely looking at the future and what the comparative user bases are going to look like. If a developer thinks similar software sales are best extrapolated from similar user base numbers then a launch aligned comparison or other time-skewed comparison would be best. Thanks for your post, interesting.

Legend11 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:

I don't think 3rd parties care about aligning launches and years of consoles, they're only interested in what's selling now! Any dev out there that is about to start a new project and wants to know which system to invest in will look at 07 data for both Wii and 360 as it's the most indicative of the current market.

The other point is that the Wii started off with a userbase of 0.

What was the 360's userbase at Nov 19th, 2006 again?

Now that the Wii's userbase has exceeded the 360's, expect better results next year.

The 360's userbase on Nov 19th, 2006 might have been balanced out by the fact that all the games still selling on the system but released prior to Nov 19th weren't being counted.  Actually it doesn't matter anyways and all a person has to do is look at EA's, Ubisoft's, and Activision's financial statements to get a true picture of how much money they've made off each system for the year.  For example the lists makes EA games sold look far closer than they actually were based on EA's breakdown of the percentage of income from each console.

Uh, Legend, other than EA none of those companies had even released a Wii game during their last fiscal report.  Those profit charts are an indicator of absolutely nothing if you don't pay attention to release lists.

Legend11 said:

The 360's userbase on Nov 19th, 2006 might have been balanced out by the fact that all the games still selling on the system but released prior to Nov 19th weren't being counted. Actually it doesn't matter anyways and all a person has to do is look at EA's, Ubisoft's, and Activision's financial statements to get a true picture of how much money they've made off each system for the year. For example the lists makes EA games sold look far closer than they actually were based on EA's breakdown of the percentage of income from each console.

Well considering the gulf in resources invested in each console I'd say that's to be expected. As I've said in my OP though I think the most significant number dev's will be looking at is the dollar for dollar return on investments, a stat that financial statements fail to convey and one that I'm confident Wii would win hands down.

Hus said: