By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:
Well. you are comparing 1st console to a 2nd year console. It would be better to compare 360's 1st year.

I don't think 3rd parties care about aligning launches and years of consoles, they're only interested in what's selling now! Any dev out there that is about to start a new project and wants to know which system to invest in will look at 07 data for both Wii and 360 as it's the most indicative of the current market.

The other point is that the Wii started off with a userbase of 0.

What was the 360's userbase at Nov 19th, 2006 again?

Now that the Wii's userbase has exceeded the 360's, expect better results next year.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Well. you are comparing 1st console to a 2nd year console. It would be better to compare 360's 1st year.

yep it would be better,but it would take kinda long

Words Of Wisdom said:
Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:

Now that the Wii's userbase has exceeded the 360's, expect better results next year. 

Well I've stated around 6 million in the OP. I just pulled it from Vgchartz's graphs so it should be reasonably accurate. 

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:

I don't think 3rd parties care about aligning launches and years of consoles, they're only interested in what's selling now! Any dev out there that is about to start a new project and wants to know which system to invest in will look at 07 data for both Wii and 360 as it's the most indicative of the current market.

I am not too sure on that. The first year the most money spent on a console is probably the console itself. I would expect the that software sales increase dramatically between 1 and 2nd year and then probably shoot up again on the third year as there is a significantly rising stagnant base of users who now have a lot of freed up monies for games since by then they already have the console and any neccesary controllers.

I bet for the first year thier biggest determinator is how quickly the consoles themselves are being purchased. i.e. a bigger userbase generally means a much better chance of being profitable on your software.

ubisoft is best 3rd party developer for wii ( considering making money)

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Biggerboat said:
superchunk said:

Plus, the quality and importance of 3rd party software for the Wii is going to get better next year on (No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, etc)

endurance said:
superchunk said:

yep it would be better,but it would take kinda long

I realise I may come across as biased here but I honestly think comparing 1st years of both consoles is almost meaningless. As I've stated if devs are going to look at software numbers they're going to be looking at the most recent. Look at PS3, as far as I'm aware it's selling roughly the same in it's launch year as 360 did but if you look at where dev's resources are going (mainly 360) then you'll see that that really doesn't matter to them.

A console's release date is as much a feature as HD graphics or motion controls. MS took the leap and put out a console a year earlier than it's competitor's and it deserves the benefits which it has received as a result. Saying you need to align launches to make a good comparison is like saying you'd need to see what 360 sales would be like if it had motion controls or what Wii sales would be like with Xbox Live, it just doesn't make sense.

If somebody wants to make a year 1 comparison of the consoles go ahead but this thread is about software sales which will matter to and nfluence 3rd parties ie. '07' sales.

Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

A couple other things that need to be considered ...

Third party publishers are not (entirely) stupid and generally are more interested in how a game performs compared to expectations rather than absolute sales; games like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and Red Steel certainly had different sales expectations than Bioshock, Rainbow Six: Vegas and Madden.

The other thing that needs to be considered is the cost to develop and market games across these two platforms are not equal, and the return on investment from Red-Steel may be much larger than Assassin's Creed even though they sold similar numbers.

HappySqurriel said:

A couple other things that need to be considered ...

Third party publishers are not (entirely) stupid and generally are more interested in how a game performs compared to expectations rather than absolute sales; games like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Rayman Raving Rabbids, and Red Steel certainly had different sales expectations than Bioshock, Rainbow Six: Vegas and Madden.

The other thing that needs to be considered is the cost to develop and market games across these two platforms are not equal, and the return on investment from Red-Steel may be much larger than Assassin's Creed even though they sold similar numbers.

You expect too much from people on this site.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

kirby007 said:
ubisoft is best 3rd party developer for wii ( considering making money)

i think capcom might pass em