By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii vs 360 3rd party sales!

Around the Network

Great post Biggerboat . 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

EA's fiscal Q2 2008 data

PLATFORM NET REVENUE MIX - as a % of Net Revenue                  
Xbox 360                             34 %    
PlayStation 2                             11 %    
Wii                             9 %    
PLAYSTATION 3                             3 %    
Xbox                             2 %    
Nintendo GameCube                             1 %    

Madden was the difference there.   Madden did much better on the 360 and PS2 than the Wii, PS3, or anything else.  EA also had many big 360 releases around then.

I can't find Capcom's breakdown of systems in their report, but this is their statement:

"Resident Evil 4 Wii edition" (for Wii) made a strong showing, especially in overseas markets, exceeding our projections. "Apollo Justice Ace Attorney" (for Nintendo DS) increased its sales steadily, and "Monster Hunter Freedom 2" (for PlayStation Portable), which was a huge hit in the previous term, also continued to grow. Consumer game software is one of our core business segments, and the favorable performance of this segment played a leading role in overall sales growth.

Since they saw fit to only mention RE4 among home console games surely it was a fairly successful showing for the company.

Legend11 said:
I was just trying to point out that many of the major third parties make more off the 360 compared to the Wii than those lists indicate. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

strange??

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Legend11 said:
I was just trying to point out that many of the major third parties make more off the 360 compared to the Wii than those lists indicate. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

RRR Wii - 1.01m

RRR 360 - 0.07m 

Conclusion 3rd party sales suck on 360. See I can be selective with data and go on a bubble bursting rampage too.  

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

I see, so you pick the one report where the Wii actually looks decent.  Well Ubisoft can't ignore the other reports in which the Wii is far behind.

For Christ's sakes Legend grow up and look at more than just the data you want to see.  The only games Ubisoft released from launch all the way up through the rest of the fiscal year were Cosmic Family, Driver, and a PoP: Two Thrones.  Wow, I wonder why they made globs of money on their two original IPs but very little on 3 (bad) PS2 game ports.  

Legend11 said:
 They very well may make more money.  We are not sure how much more money, though.  And it would make sense.  If you release more games on platform x, all other factors being equal, you have more games to profit from. 

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Revenue is meaningless anyway. I can spend 100 million on a game and take in 80 million in revenue, or I can spend 5 million on a game and take in 10 million in revenue. But the first game did not do 8 times better than the second.

Ugh, I think everyone here is being a bit unfair.

Legend is absolutely correct that 3rd parties have made more money on the 360 by a fairly wide margin in the last year, even if the above charts may suggest otherwise.

Naznatips (and others) are correct to point out that this is largely due to the quality of support: the Wii has largely gotten shovelware, the 360 has gotten solid, well funded games on top of the shovelware, which naturally favors the 360 in that case.

But the original point of this topic is: "Third parties are doing quite well on the Wii, even in comparison to the 360," and the the response to that is "that's not entirely true." Even if the reason it's not entirely true is that the Wii has gotten terrible support. In short, it must be mentioned that the 360's support has been much stronger from the aforementioned companies; at the same time, Legend is absolutely correct that these companies have made substantially more money off their 360 ventures than their Wii ones -- again, even if the reason for that disparity is crappy games on the Wii.

Okay? Is that fair?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

naznatips said:
Legend11 said:

I see, so you pick the one report where the Wii actually looks decent.  Well Ubisoft can't ignore the other reports in which the Wii is far behind.

For Christ's sakes Legend grow up and look at more than just the data you want to see.  The only games Ubisoft released from launch all the way up through the rest of the fiscal year were Cosmic Family, Driver, and a PoP: Two Thrones.  Wow, I wonder why they made globs of money on their two original IPs but very little on 3 (bad) PS2 game ports.  

It still doesn't explain the other companies.  EA for example had one flop after another on the Wii.  Anyways I'm done arguing because it's pretty obvious that the Wii isn't the 3rd party darling some people are hoping it is.  The PS2 and 360 are basically what's keeping many third parties going.