By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Apollian said:

I'm really enjoying Forza Racing 3 right now, and GT PSP.....so the only game I can say I'll be buying on my PS3 is GT5, can't wait for that.. but I doubt I'll be missing anything else.

Then you need to open your eyes and look at some of the ps3 exclusives

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
unknown_soul89 said:
Darth Tigris said:
unknown_soul89 said:

If the 360 didn't have a year head start the ps3 would already have outsold it, if you take away the 360s sales of the last year ps3 is way ahead, it's a small miracle the 360 was able to even keep it's lead with it's fallrate and lack of decent exclusives MS really downplayed the fallrate and managed to make people think multiplats were exclusive the 360 does not sell on merit 

1st year sales for the 360 per VGC:  5.5 million

Current 360 lead over the PS3 per VGC:  5.4 million (though at times it was over 8 million).  

Seriously,your post is filled with so many inaccuracies and misrepresentation of facts that it didn't deserve to be responded to.  But sometimes it just needs to be done.

Let's do this:  don't downplay the success of the 360 and people won't downplay the success of the PS3.  See how that works?

lol going by VGC why don't you just get a random number generator, and I said take away the last year not the first, over time consoles lower price have more time to advertise and come out with more games, the fairest assessment is comparing respective years on the market so have 360 from 2005-2009 and ps3 from 2006-2010, not to mention the fact that ps3 sells more on average per year  

But its not the fairest assessment.  We could go back and forth about what the fairest assessment is.  For instance, based on EXPECTATIONS, the PS3 was expected to blow away the 360 and Wii prior to launch.  People were calling it the Dreamcast 2.  And that makes sense, as the previous Playstation consoles were not only market leaders but DOMINATED with sales of over 100 million consoles each.  So wouldn't being fair include that the underdog 360 has impressed by not only outselling its predecessor immensely but by NOT giving up any lead to the 3rd console of the Playstation legacy?

That's why I stated what I stated before:  they are both selling good right now, so why take pot shots at them?  The PS3, as the 3rd place console, will shortly have sold better than any 2nd place console before it.  This gen has been an impressive feat overall.  As gamers, isn't that what we should be excited about?

lol expectations are pure bullshit, and always overestimated, EA expected Mirror's Edge to sell 3 mil out of the gate lol (with PC/360/ps3 it's a little over 2 mil now) so no factoring in peoples expectations which weren't even based on the actual consoles in question is not even remotely fair and I don't find massive failrates, lying about exclusives being exclusives, misleading commercials about multiplats making them look exclusive impressive, the 360 is not impressive at anything besides screwing over consumers and spreading misconceptions 

I'd rather eat live monkey than admit that. *grabs the monkey*

NEVER!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

unknown_soul89 said:
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

The fact of the matter is PS3's recent burst of popularity was due to the PS3 Slim, not a price cut, not the games, not the fact that blu-ray is more popular. Now that the 360S has launched in Americas, and is a showing a stronger sales rate then the PS3 Slim had, the 360 will not only regain it's initial sales lead, but it will re-establish it's peak sales lead of 8.5 million, and will re-take the European and Other reagions.

This just in:  Sales of a console have nothing to do with price, software, or features.  It's all about the shape and size of the box!

haha. Michael-5, do you honestly expect the peak lead to re-establish? I don't think the PS3 will get the 5 million sales it needs to outsell the 360, but this is obviously a short stretch of good sales sparked by discounted and discontinued 360 sales and a modest sales boost provoked by a redesigned console. Those discontinued console sales will soon elude the big M no doubt about it.

If the 360 didn't have a year head start the ps3 would already have outsold it, if you take away the 360s sales of the last year ps3 is way ahead, it's a small miracle the 360 was able to even keep it's lead with it's fallrate and lack of decent exclusives MS really downplayed the fallrate and managed to make people think multiplats were exclusive the 360 does not sell on merit 

Actually no, sales from November 2006 (PS3 launch day) 360 is ahead with some units not much but they are ahead. And if its any company that pulled of a miracle it was Sony, PS3 probably had the worst first 2 years out of any console from the big 3.

Around the Network
mundus6 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

The fact of the matter is PS3's recent burst of popularity was due to the PS3 Slim, not a price cut, not the games, not the fact that blu-ray is more popular. Now that the 360S has launched in Americas, and is a showing a stronger sales rate then the PS3 Slim had, the 360 will not only regain it's initial sales lead, but it will re-establish it's peak sales lead of 8.5 million, and will re-take the European and Other reagions.

This just in:  Sales of a console have nothing to do with price, software, or features.  It's all about the shape and size of the box!

haha. Michael-5, do you honestly expect the peak lead to re-establish? I don't think the PS3 will get the 5 million sales it needs to outsell the 360, but this is obviously a short stretch of good sales sparked by discounted and discontinued 360 sales and a modest sales boost provoked by a redesigned console. Those discontinued console sales will soon elude the big M no doubt about it.

Actually no, sales from November 2006 (PS3 launch day) 360 is ahead with some units not much but they are ahead. And if its any company that pulled of a miracle it was Sony, PS3 probably had the worst first 2 years out of any console from the big 3.

Wow unknown soul, lots of typos. Fallrate?

I agree with mundus6, Sony really pulled the PS3 through those first couple years, and managed to turn almost every third party 360 exclusive into a timed release, yet Microsoft hasn't be able to do the same back. Oblivion, Bioshock, Star Ocean, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of Vesperia, and even Mass Effect 2 now, all timed exclusives. Also didn't PS3 start off with a $600 price tag and a severe lack of first party exclusives? Resistance was good, but Lair and Heavenly Sword were not, and basically until Uncharted 1, I don't think Sony had anything really that amazing. Even then I don't think the PS3 had any unforgetable titles until Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, and wasn't that in April 2008? It didn't even have a trophy system then.

As for my comment on the 360 re-establishing it's peak lead, I think if Kinect takes off the 360 will definatly re-establish it's peak lead. It won't hold it, but for a period of time it will re-establish it. If Kinect fails, or just does as well as Move then I bet the 360 will still get a 6.5-7 million unit lead by the end of the year, which isn't bad.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

PS3 sales is gonna sky rocket next month belive me, since apperently it is finaly moddable after 4 years. Might not give Sony much money, but it will give them sales of consoles.

I will start off by saying that on an year to year basis the PS3 is outselling the 360. The PS3 came out a full year later and as a result started the race with a huge gap between it and the 360, so if it had outsold the xbox by now it would mean the 360 was absolute crap and should be burned.but in actuality both systems are giving each other stiff competition. I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 in life time sales tho since sony seems to support their last gen tech for a long time, i mean look Ps2s are still selling new in large quanities.So if given the same number of years to count sales like 5 years for the xbox and 5 years for the PS3 i think the PS3 will win by a very small margin

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

Michael-5 said:
mundus6 said:
unknown_soul89 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

Wow unknown soul, lots of typos. Fallrate?

I agree with mundus6, Sony really pulled the PS3 through those first couple years, and managed to turn almost every third party 360 exclusive into a timed release, yet Microsoft hasn't be able to do the same back. Oblivion, Bioshock, Star Ocean, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of Vesperia, and even Mass Effect 2 now, all timed exclusives. Also didn't PS3 start off with a $600 price tag and a severe lack of first party exclusives? Resistance was good, but Lair and Heavenly Sword were not, and basically until Uncharted 1, I don't think Sony had anything really that amazing. Even then I don't think the PS3 had any unforgetable titles until Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, and wasn't that in April 2008? It didn't even have a trophy system then.

As for my comment on the 360 re-establishing it's peak lead, I think if Kinect takes off the 360 will definatly re-establish it's peak lead. It won't hold it, but for a period of time it will re-establish it. If Kinect fails, or just does as well as Move then I bet the 360 will still get a 6.5-7 million unit lead by the end of the year, which isn't bad.

Wow you don't know what you're talking about in a month or two ps3 will start outselling 360 again and if kinect takes off I feel sorry for the human race because it's pretty much an overpriced wii shovelware copycat

FullMetalMerc said:

I will start off by saying that on an year to year basis the PS3 is outselling the 360. The PS3 came out a full year later and as a result started the race with a huge gap between it and the 360, so if it had outsold the xbox by now it would mean the 360 was absolute crap and should be burned.but in actuality both systems are giving each other stiff competition. I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 in life time sales tho since sony seems to support their last gen tech for a long time, i mean look Ps2s are still selling new in large quanities.So if given the same number of years to count sales like 5 years for the xbox and 5 years for the PS3 i think the PS3 will win by a very small margin

If the ps3 goes a year after the 360 stops selling it will be ahead by atleast 6-10 mil, if they are both out for about 3 more years ps3 will overtake 360