By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Thanks for taking the time to seriously reply to some arguments.

I think #6 is majorly important: who else is going to tell the casual user about Kinect? This is THE way to get into loads of networks where Move cannot go. Casuals don't start a conversation on 'whow.. move was soo cool'... because the problems is: it's not so different from Wii: People know that stuff.

However, your point on price is taken. $300 sounds like a lot: and Microsoft should work on getting that down ASAP. But the number of pre-orders still stand: 100,000 on this thing: holy cr*p. I think pricing is right, but needs to go down a bit more for casuals. First movers/gadget phreaks will buy it anyways, despite its price. [btw: iPhone costs way more, so its just a matter of making decisions, money may not even be the problem... convincing may]

On #3: well, is that true? Is Kinect not really different from all the Wii/Move stuff? Is this not Holodeck v0.2, more so than wii/move? (I'm not sure, that's my gutt feeling. Lookig forward to some arguments though - see you know people that don't think so.. but if you think about it... )

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kinect is right HERE
Around the Network
maxer said:

Thanks for taking the time to seriously reply to some arguments.

I think #6 is majorly important: who else is going to tell the casual user about Kinect? This is THE way to get into loads of networks where Move cannot go. Casuals don't start a conversation on 'whow.. move was soo cool'... because the problems is: it's not so different from Wii: People know that stuff.

However, your point on price is taken. $300 sounds like a lot: and Microsoft should work on getting that down ASAP. But the number of pre-orders still stand: 100,000 on this thing: holy cr*p. I think pricing is right, but needs to go down a bit more for casuals. First movers/gadget phreaks will buy it anyways, despite its price. [btw: iPhone costs way more, so its just a matter of making decisions, money may not even be the problem... convincing may]

On #3: well, is that true? Is Kinect not really different from all the Wii/Move stuff? Is this not Holodeck v0.2, more so than wii/move? (I'm not sure, that's my gutt feeling. Lookig forward to some arguments though - see you know people that don't think so.. but if you think about it... )

I agree with you that casual gamers won't go nuts about the Move, but your #6 message was about facebook photos with Kinect essentially helping it's sales. I agree with it, but I feel any casual gamer who loves their kinect so much that they will use the facebook upload photo feature, will simply tell their friends about the console. Facebook will help because people get to see the fun a person is having, but I'm still skeptical. I don't think facebook will make a huge difference in Kinect sales, but it will help.

As for price, Iphones sell for $200 with a three year contract. Kinect will still sell, I estimate over 10 million units, but it won't replace the Wii and migrate casual gamers. If they somehow sold a Kinect-360 for $250, and Nintendo doesn' make a price cut and keeps their console at $200, then maybe Wii owners will move to Kinect, but if Microsoft makes that price cut, Nintendo will make a price cut too.

Nintendo can also do many things to cut Kinect sales, they can easily make more Wii-ware games, and I bet you a Wii successor is already ready, Nintendo is just waiting for wii sales to drop before they introduce it, and during the next couple years they are finding ways to make it cheaper to produce, and improve in quality. I mean the DS was in development since the Virtual Boy failed, thats like 10 years.

As for #3, I am saying you can't generalize Hardcore gamers as finding the Wii as a Gimmick. Many hardcore gamers find Wii a gimmick, and Kinect as something really innovative and creative. Everyone has a different opinion on things.

From my closer group of friends, everyone likes the Wii. Most people wouldn't buy one because they own a PS3 or a 360, and the people who own a Wii, own a PS3 or a 360 as well, but still love it. I myself own a PS3 and a 360, but not a Wii. I still love the console, I borrow it from a friend with Mario Kart, and I do own Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros Brawl.

Back to your #3 point, I only mean to say that you can't generalize the Wii as a gimmick to hardcore gamers, but separate Kinect. What you can say is that to many gamers the Kinect looks more amazing then a Wii, and that would be true. Many can be verified by it's 100k pre-order buzz, and comparing that to Move's 25k Americas Pre-orders only 3 weeks before launch, you can argue that the Kinect appears more popular.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I have, they aren't really my cup of tea... I like that fact that Sony went all out to make more new titles. but they have to be what gamers want to play.. look at the latest numbers for Halo Reach after just 3 weeks?. (5.3 Million), its more than Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 put together. thats got to tell you something about how good those games are.

so its fine for Sony to make new games, but if gamers don't want to play them, then Sony will stay in 3rd place. the benefit to Sony is it has nothing out there that is pushing the PS3 hardware numbers. like I said, its prize title GT5p failed to live up to the numbers of its past titles in a massive way. in fact, it wasn't even close to the older versions of GT.

Lol, finally? Us Nintendo fans have been aware of this for years.

A lot of banned people here.

The problem for both consoles is that new IPs this late in a generation have a pretty hard time to succeed. Heavy Rain did well (not awesome, but well) but then you have Alan Wake or ModNation Racers who did not sell that well. A new IP surely needs a great developer to make people aware. Like Rockstar with RDR.

IMO it is 50:50 for future new IPs like Agent and Project Kingdom. Crytek and Rockstar are two developers people get excited for. Let's see how they will perform.

So after 4 or 5 years respectivly, there are no software system-sellers left. Reach and GT5 did/will move systems, but not sooooo huge to be a turning point for this gen. So IMO it comes down to Kinect and Move as new hardware devices that might push consoles. Move started relatively slow and only had a minor affect on PS3 hardware. Kinect has a better shot at performing well and move consoles.

At the end of the day they will be VERY close (less than 10 million) difference. And that won't change any support for any console. You can't ignore a 50 million plus userbase as a independent developer. So only fanboys and nerds like us will care anyway.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

The problem for both consoles is that new IPs this late in a generation have a pretty hard time to succeed. Heavy Rain did well (not awesome, but well) but then you have Alan Wake or ModNation Racers who did not sell that well. A new IP surely needs a great developer to make people aware. Like Rockstar with RDR.

IMO it is 50:50 for future new IPs like Agent and Project Kingdom. Crytek and Rockstar are two developers people get excited for. Let's see how they will perform.

So after 4 or 5 years respectivly, there are no software system-sellers left. Reach and GT5 did/will move systems, but not sooooo huge to be a turning point for this gen. So IMO it comes down to Kinect and Move as new hardware devices that might push consoles. Move started relatively slow and only had a minor affect on PS3 hardware. Kinect has a better shot at performing well and move consoles.

At the end of the day they will be VERY close (less than 10 million) difference. And that won't change any support for any console. You can't ignore a 50 million plus userbase as a independent developer. So only fanboys and nerds like us will care anyway.

Read Dead Redemption ISN'T a new IP!

italo244 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Read Dead Redemption ISN'T a new IP!

People like to forget about Red Dead Revolver because it wasn't so good.

And now Sony super slim take now, to see who can make the desperate

NextLevel said:
And now Sony super slim take now, to see who can make the desperate

wat?

Holy Necro!

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.