By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

some factor for 2010 alone:

halo reach

COD

Fable III

xbox 360 bundle(s)

xbox 360s 4GB version

and

Kinect.

Around the Network
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Well, I'd hate to admit it, the PS3 is almost certain to finish 3rd now, unless if Kinect bombs and if GT5 moves like 4-5 million consoles. Which could happen...

how is it certain???????????????????????

The 360 has been nearly doubling the PS3 in US after price cut. It has increased its lead slightly. The PS3 looked on pace to sell more than X360, but now the gap is increasing. Also, I said almost certain. Like I'd bet on a third place finish for the PS3, but I am not 100% sure. Doesn't exactly please me, but I don't want to hang onto delusional, fanboy hope. 

the 360S sales have been sliding now

GodOfWar_3ever said:
rohn13 said:

Cute how you named yourself Godofwar3_forever to hide you xbox fanboy bias.

This is just pure gold. I don't even have a 360. I have 2000 plus posts with this account now, and God of War/MGS are my favourite series....check my games collection dude.

And calling someone a fanboy in these forums can get you banned....mods consider it an insult. I'm not insulted though,  so mods don't ban him.

Handled that with pure class, mate. Good work

Human contact, the final frontier.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Well, I'd hate to admit it, the PS3 is almost certain to finish 3rd now, unless if Kinect bombs and if GT5 moves like 4-5 million consoles. Which could happen...

how is it certain???????????????????????

The 360 has been nearly doubling the PS3 in US after price cut. It has increased its lead slightly. The PS3 looked on pace to sell more than X360, but now the gap is increasing. Also, I said almost certain. Like I'd bet on a third place finish for the PS3, but I am not 100% sure. Doesn't exactly please me, but I don't want to hang onto delusional, fanboy hope. 

the 360S sales have been sliding now

To be expected. Let's see what happens in holiday 2010, specifically in September and November. Halo Reach vs. GT5.

makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

The fact of the matter is PS3's recent burst of popularity was due to the PS3 Slim, not a price cut, not the games, not the fact that blu-ray is more popular. Now that the 360S has launched in Americas, and is a showing a stronger sales rate then the PS3 Slim had, the 360 will not only regain it's initial sales lead, but it will re-establish it's peak sales lead of 8.5 million, and will re-take the European and Other reagions.

This just in:  Sales of a console have nothing to do with price, software, or features.  It's all about the shape and size of the box!

haha. Michael-5, do you honestly expect the peak lead to re-establish? I don't think the PS3 will get the 5 million sales it needs to outsell the 360, but this is obviously a short stretch of good sales sparked by discounted and discontinued 360 sales and a modest sales boost provoked by a redesigned console. Those discontinued console sales will soon elude the big M no doubt about it.

Around the Network
algorith said:
unknown_soul89 said:
algorith said:

It'd become as obsolete as the PS2 was after the 360 had been released. Sure it was still selling but at a declining rate. I doubt Sony would want to allow their competitors to gain market share with the next generation of systems for supporting the PS3 especially after what happened this generation. I'm fairly confident we'll see the PS4 in the next 3 years. By which time and I reiterate, the gap will probably be within 10 million between the PS3 and 360, most people won't care for the numbers and when looking back it'll look like a triumph for MS and a defeat for Sony. 

Not even close, the ps2 was the weakest hardware last gen, ps3 is the strongest, the ps2 reached it's potential (more or less) by the time the 360 was released the ps3 hasn't, and the ps2 wasn't even that obsolete when the 360 came out considering there are a ton of ps2/360 games and ps2 still sold more software so yeah

You still think graphics mean something in the life of the console but at the same time acknowledge the PS2 outlived the other more powerful consoles last generation, which doesn't indicate PS3 will have the longer lifespan this time around. The PS2 despite being a weak piece of hardware compared to XBOX kept selling after new generation of consoles because it had a huge market share that developers wanted to sell to. PS3 does not have the same market share as the PS2, and probably never will. I doubt Sony will stand by and let competitors release their new generations of systems while they keep supporting the PS3. I suppose we'll see soon enough if Sony will do that or not though. 

The PS3 was designed for the long haul, it could easily compete with a new gen console or atleast a few years I really don't see an upside to rushing to release a console other then having them released at the same time as their competitors so people actually get a fair comparison on the sales and avoid ignorant people slamming the console because of sales, and that isn't really much of a upside 

makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

The fact of the matter is PS3's recent burst of popularity was due to the PS3 Slim, not a price cut, not the games, not the fact that blu-ray is more popular. Now that the 360S has launched in Americas, and is a showing a stronger sales rate then the PS3 Slim had, the 360 will not only regain it's initial sales lead, but it will re-establish it's peak sales lead of 8.5 million, and will re-take the European and Other reagions.

This just in:  Sales of a console have nothing to do with price, software, or features.  It's all about the shape and size of the box!

haha. Michael-5, do you honestly expect the peak lead to re-establish? I don't think the PS3 will get the 5 million sales it needs to outsell the 360, but this is obviously a short stretch of good sales sparked by discounted and discontinued 360 sales and a modest sales boost provoked by a redesigned console. Those discontinued console sales will soon elude the big M no doubt about it.

If the 360 didn't have a year head start the ps3 would already have outsold it, if you take away the 360s sales of the last year ps3 is way ahead, it's a small miracle the 360 was able to even keep it's lead with it's fallrate and lack of decent exclusives MS really downplayed the fallrate and managed to make people think multiplats were exclusive the 360 does not sell on merit 

unknown_soul89 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

If the 360 didn't have a year head start the ps3 would already have outsold it, if you take away the 360s sales of the last year ps3 is way ahead, it's a small miracle the 360 was able to even keep it's lead with it's fallrate and lack of decent exclusives MS really downplayed the fallrate and managed to make people think multiplats were exclusive the 360 does not sell on merit 

i didnt even know if i should quote this fanbou post u make...

Mass Effect 2 , Alan Wake , Forza MotorSport 3 , Conviction. U think no decent exclusives ?? Left for Dead 2 , Fable 2... All moved Consoles for sure and u say no decent exclusives... Plus its all business no ONE cares... maybe if Xbox1 had start earlier than Ps2 it should be now at 150M and Ps2 at 24M ?? Lol No one knoes that no one will ever know the only thing i know is that THE GAP IS INCREASING 5.4M and counting. i dont care if came sout earlier or after... Ps3 is losing and enough said! Wii came out in 2006 and its leading the way.

"the 360S sales have been sliding now

Not in U.S for Sure. And its summer time what would u expect ? to sell 1M per Week ?? Let that for December.

iHuGi said:
unknown_soul89 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Michael-5 said:

i didnt even know if i should quote this fanbou post u make...

Mass Effect 2 , Alan Wake , Forza MotorSport 3 , Conviction. U think no decent exclusives ?? Left for Dead 2 , Fable 2... All moved Consoles for sure and u say no decent exclusives... Plus its all business no ONE cares... maybe if Xbox1 had start earlier than Ps2 it should be now at 150M and Ps2 at 24M ?? Lol No one knoes that no one will ever know the only thing i know is that THE GAP IS INCREASING 5.4M and counting. i dont care if came sout earlier or after... Ps3 is losing and enough said! Wii came out in 2006 and its leading the way.

ME2 isn't an exclusive it's lead isn't even 360 it's PC same with L4D2, conviction on is PC and also third party kinda surprised they haven't ported it to ps3 yet, has it been out for a year yet? Forza even if I considered it a good exclusive ps3 has GT5 and there are multiplats that all almost identical certainly doesn't make the 360 stand out so whats left, Alan Wake and Fable and thats it 

Even if you take the sales of the ps2 when the xbox stopped being made and take away the last two years of sales the ps2 still has more sold then xbox, and I think you need to take a look at the shipped numbers it's 3.4 (even when using 360s shipped numbers which is the only fair comparison) and again if you take away the 360s last year sales the ps3 is ahead