By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect for Xbox 360 now listed for $150... at Microsoft's own online store

nightsurge said:
cmeese47 said:

Kinect for two people at 149 isn't so bad; however selling the games for 60 bucks is crazy. 

Full Price Comparison for Move vs Kinect

Move Bundle 99 vs Kinect 149
Games x4 160 vs Games x5 300
Second Move 50
2X Nav Controller 60 

Total for 5 games and 2 player gaming

PS3 Move vs Kinect
370                 450

Not to mention using dual shock controllers save you 60 bucks. 

Therefore, the biggest difference is the price of games.

Sony is presumably making money on every move controller, eye toy, nav controller and game sold.

While MS is likely losing money on Kinect and making a profit only on software. 

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in November but right now for anyone who wants a few games with their system would be better off going with the Move or staying with the Wii.

You missed some calculations here.

First, you would need 3 more Moves, not one more.  Some games requrie 2 Moves per person to play and the bundle only comes with 1.

Second, I have seen no indication that the Move games will be priced lower than $60 themselves, so there is no point in assuming they will be cheaper.

So:

Move Bundle 99 vs Kinect 149
Games x4 240 vs Games x5 300
3x Move 150
2x Nav Controller 60 

Total for 5 games and 2 player gaming

PS3 Move vs Kinect
  549                 449

Actually, you made some errors.  First, most, if not all, games that can use 2 Moves have a mode that uses only 1 Move.  So no, 2 Moves each is not required.  Second, you don't think that the Sony announcement that all first party games (I'ms sure third parties will follow suit) for Move would be $40 wasn't an indication that they would be cheaper than $60?  The only calculation he messed up on is that 5 games for Move only costs $160, since you get one free with the bundle.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Metallicube said:

Guess they were embarassed to reveal the price at E3.. I would be too. Who in the right mind would spend $150 on this? Especially after we've seen the lineup of mediocre games for it (which are priced at $60).

Apparenlty quite a few people, and quite a bit more people than those that want PS Move.

Current Amazon standing: 

Kinect at $150 in the number 2 spot (been in the top 3 for the last week now)
PS Move at $99 with a game in the number 57 spot

Acutally, it's moved into the #5 spot.  And Move has dropped some, too.  Odd thing about Move is that it seems the Nav is selling more than the Move itself.  You know, I'm starting to think maybe Amazon doesn't sell as many game related things as I thought.  It just doesn't seem like it takes too much to reach #1.  I mean some game called Club Peguin is #1 right now.  Then again I could just be out of touch and Club Penguin may be the hot new thing.    Heck, if Amazon is an indication right now, Wii Sports Resort should beat out SMG2 next week.  lol, SMG2 is even being beat out by a 360 Live Gift Card.

thismeintiel said:

Actually, you made some errors.  First, most, if not all, games that can use 2 Moves have a mode that uses only 1 Move.  So no, 2 Moves each is not required.  Second, you don't think that the Sony announcement that all first party games (I'ms sure third parties will follow suit) for Move would be $40 wasn't an indication that they would be cheaper than $60?  The only calculation he messed up on is that 5 games for Move only costs $160, since you get one free with the bundle.

I must have missed that announcement

If that's the case, I severely hope the 360 Kinect games follow suit and are cheaper like that.

nightsurge said:
thismeintiel said:

I must have missed that announcement

If that's the case, I severely hope the 360 Kinect games follow suit and are cheaper like that.

Hey, you turn that frown upside down. 

overpriced

Sorry for bad English.

Around the Network

I don't think I'll be getting Natal, but my friend already pre-ordered his, so when it some out I'll just go over his house

I don't think Natal will sell well, but hey I could be wrong, I will have to keep my crow eating fork and knife by my side!

V-r0cK said:

This is unfair to compare this new technology to the couch.  The log made for a better comparison. lol

The Kinect has potential to sell and I agree with others that it's cheaper than Move, but Move is still comparible to Nintendo's Wii and it's easy to know what you are buying in comparison to Kinect.  With Kinect, still up in the air on it's potential at launch.  $150 is high without games included but it is still early.  Bundles could appear closer to launch for sure.  The magic pricing is always under $100.  $99 sounds much better to take someone's money from their wallet easier.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

It's not that it is over-priced.  If all is fair,  Playstation Move with several controllers/peripherals/etc can be pretty pricey, likewise with the Wii.   I would even go as far as to say that Kinect may be the cheapest full motion control setup of all three consoles. (Including Wii). Think about all the peripherals and miscellaneous BS you can purchase for the Wii/(And most likely PS3).  4 Controllers with Motion Plus? Can be pretty steep.  

However,  Kinect does have the 'biggest' entry point number tied down to it. (Which is the real number that matters to a majority of consumers IMO).   It's very similar to the 360/PS3 battle earlier this generation IMO.  PS3 had tons of value and a lot of stuff packed in (Wi-Fi, Free Internet, Backward Compatiblity, Blu-Ray, etc) (Just a few years of Xbox Live alone covered the difference in entry costs for PS3/360.).   The problem was it's entry point price.  The PS3 people liked, desired, wanted, etc but it got cannibalized by the 360 regularly because it's entry price was just too much. 

The other problem in my eyes is quite simple,  Kinect will have a lot of pre-emptive hype.  Something of this sort always will and always does.  It has exciting possibilities and looks like something straight out of a Hollywood flick.  This pre-emtpive hype will even get a decent amount of people to 'Jump In' and pay the $150.   The problem is without compelling software, this hype could actually work against it. 

With these pre-existing problems / conditions you are looking at a tough sell.  The software isn't there yet by most accounts (And may never be).  With reports of it's lack of accuracy/precision/etc/Potential to not be played while sitting/ 2 players at once only....  You are looking at early adopters dropping a the largest 'entry' price of all three motion control setups, for a lineup of limited software, possibly full priced games, with possible spotty performance?   Recipe for disaster.   Word of mouth is what will make Kinect sell and without that low entry point or killer application or really amazing performance, I don't see the word of mouth being overly positive. 

i think the pricing is fine, its a lot of tech in there.

i hope both the move and kinect take away from wii

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Sure they are not planning on launching kinect without a bundle???? This is so illogical that I am sure it will be rectified at a later date prior to launch.