By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect for Xbox 360 now listed for $150... at Microsoft's own online store

I don't understand all the Kinect vs Move comparisons.  They're both rather overpriced, and they're both intended to fight the Wii moreso than each other.

People should be comparing both producs to the Wii.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Guys, get out of here with th e"EPIC FAILURE" comments.  They're really not needed.

People can discuss this without melodramatic hyperbole, and it only serves to annoy people who are actually looking forward to the device or want to seriously discuss the impications of the price.

thank you sir!

disolitude said:

Sucha  funny thread. Look at all the analysts in this thread.

Gamers are the only people that are expecting companies to lose money with their products.

That's exclusively the fault of Microsoft and Sony, who to the best of my knowledge have never released a console at a profit.  And Microsoft is positioning Kinect like it's a console...

noname2200 said:
disolitude said:

Sucha  funny thread. Look at all the analysts in this thread.

Gamers are the only people that are expecting companies to lose money with their products.

That's exclusively the fault of Microsoft and Sony, who to the best of my knowledge have never released a console at a profit.  And Microsoft is positioning Kinect like it's a console...

well, according to MS it will last longer than the original xbox, so I guess it should be treated like a console.

noname200: they havent released them on profit because they both want the highest of technologies for looks and forward compatibility, they also know that prices are always coming down.

Xbox 360 is definitely now making a profit and i think the ps3 is, so they both thought correctly by the looks of it.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:

noname200: they havent released them on profit because they both want the highest of technologies for looks and forward compatibility, they also know that prices are always coming down.

True, but the point stands: gamers expect it from Microsoft and Sony because those companies have been giving them below-cost consoles since each of them entered the gaming market.  I don't think that makes the companies "bad" or anything, I'm only saying that they bred the expectation that the behavior will continue.

Kinect vs Fanboys:

* Will not make fool of self in forum? Kinect: Yes.  Fanboys: No.

* Will post eroneous information in forums? Kinect: No. Fanboys: Yes.

* Cost? Kinect: Not set. Fanboys: Free.

* Actually listens to what people say? Kinect: Yes. Fanboys: No.

* Will work with XBox 360? Kinect: Yes. Fanboys: Depends on model.

* Able to sit down and shut up? Kinect: Not sure yet. Fanboys: In your dreams.

* What is it bundled with? Kinect: Unknown. Fanboys: Tons of bile, ignorance, and religious fanaticism.

* Drive individuals to a furious rage? Kinect: Yes.  Fanboys: Yes.

* Will cause world to be assimulated int Microsoft's Borg? Kinect: Maybe.   Fanboys: Probably not.

* Will cause you to worship Bill Gates? Kinect: Maybe.  Fanboys: Probably not.

* Will cause people to come up with inane comparison charts? Kinect: Yes!  Fanboys: Yes.

makingmusic476 said:

The biggest issue here is that the $149 price point only applies to current 360 owners.  They're attempting to sell a peripheral that has thus far shown that it has little use with hardcore games to a predominantly hardcore market for $149.99, seemingly without a game.

For the Wii market and everyone else, they'll be trying to sell a 360/Kinect bundle with no hard drive for $299, effectively resetting the 360's price to what it was at launch five years ago.

How does Microsoft release a new 360 system without a hardddrive?  They are phasing out the old arcade, and the new one has no internal storage.  Where do the system updates get put?

richardhutnik said:
makingmusic476 said:

The biggest issue here is that the $149 price point only applies to current 360 owners.  They're attempting to sell a peripheral that has thus far shown that it has little use with hardcore games to a predominantly hardcore market for $149.99, seemingly without a game.

For the Wii market and everyone else, they'll be trying to sell a 360/Kinect bundle with no hard drive for $299, effectively resetting the 360's price to what it was at launch five years ago.

How does Microsoft release a new 360 system without a hardddrive?  They are phasing out the old arcade, and the new one has no internal storage.  Where do the system updates get put?

Kinect requires 175mb of disc space.  If they indeed are having an Arcade Kinect Bundle, some sort of disk space is guaranteed to be in there.

JaggedSac said:
richardhutnik said:
makingmusic476 said:

Kinect requires 175mb of disc space.  If they indeed are having an Arcade Kinect Bundle, some sort of disk space is guaranteed to be in there.

The new 360 isn't like the old Arcade units, that had built in Flash Memory.  I would believe this means that the new Arcade unit will have a harddrive of some time, even if it is small.  They also do need room for any system updates.