By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Our messiah nintendo please cleanse us of this scourge

I don't have the time to reply to the entire OP, so I'll just discuss this one:"A healthy amount of of ports, remakes, and software that is very "console" as opposed to the the quick bites that handheld gaming is supposed to be.".

Ports and remakes, we shall see, also I don't think somebody ever said that it is not getting remakes or ports(though I must say I don't think there will be one game that can be strictly called a port). And I think it's a little sad that it has more 3rd party support than either the DS or Wii had when they launched.

Looking at the announced games by Nintendo.

Animal Crossing - new game
Kid Icarus: Uprising - new game
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - port/remake
Mario Kart - new game
nintendogs cats - new game
Paper Mario - new game
PilotWings Resort - new game
Star Fox 64 3D - port/remake
Steel Diver - new game

Most of Nintendo's games are new ones, with Steel Diver being a new IP. And you were not the first person to criticize the fact that it has ports/remakes, but it's not like all the games are ports/remakes, you didn't state I know, but a lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'd do this fro 3rd parties as well, but I'm lazy, plus others might have more knowledge than me and be able to tell whether they are new games or not.

Around the Network

Actually I did read it all and is addressed in bold.

leatherhat said:

Dear God Miyamoto in your infinite wisdom please save our heathen souls from the scourge that is MS and Sony and all other non nintendo developers. Please show the unwashed masses the greatness of the "third dimension" that nintendo invented and also of all the new and fantastic IP's that they have created this gen including the amazing new zelda and mario that have saved us all from the brown and bloom that all other non nintendo gaming is. And to those who would question their amazing innovation and charm, may you be struck down by the shiny white gods of gaming who watch over nintendo and ensure that they remain untouchable and objective criticism of them impossible. 

Amen. 

But really, I wrote this post because I'm sick of the pedestal that nintendo gets placed on. They can never do wrong, every idea they have is genius, and Miyamoto is the unquestioned God of gaming. They're just a game developer, a good one of course, but one that makes bad games and bad decisions like all others. Take the 3DS, or the best thing since sliced bread as most would call it. What does it have? A healthy amount of of ports, remakes, and software that is very "console" as opposed to the the quick bites that handheld gaming is supposed to be. Also, just one analog stick. You know what that reminds me of? The psp. And yet, unlike the psp, the 3DS remains without criticism. This is due to nintendo's infallibility amongst gamers.

(Do you even remember the launch of the PSP and how it couldn't possibly fail?  The press reaction was so one sided that even Nintendo was questioning if the risk would work.  As for being infallible that's what gamers seem to do for whoever they support, Nintendo, Sony, AND Microsoft has put absolute crap up on stage at one point or another and the loyalists both on forums and in the media reported how their shit smelled like roses)

People laugh at MS needing people to wear white gowns to their natal press conference, yet when nintendo announces that children shouldn't use the 3DS due to problems with muscle development, nobody bats an eye. Nintendo to the gaming world is like apple to a mainstream audience. Perfect, infallible, shiny, white and new. Everything they do is amazing, even when it sucks or the competition does something better. Nintendo gets praised for innovation, yet sony - and even MS- have released far more new IP's over the course of this generation. Where is the praise for them over games like patapon and locoroco?

(There's been plenty of praise for both those series, both from fans and critics, not really seen one negative thing said about those games ever, since we're all about calling out companies and games that don't take enough flack, we should call out all the people that didn't bash those games and point out their flaws.  But if you're upset cause they don't sell well?  It's most likely because they're a niche design in style and game play, does it mean they aren't good games with good style, hell no)

And the worst part is that nintendo can not be criticized. I admit there has been unfair shots at them, including faulting them for the failure of mediocre third party hardcore games on the wii. But even a reasonable critique is bashed as biased or "a fanboy argument." I myself fully expect to be yelled at over this post despite gaming on nintendo systems for longer than a lot of the people who will call me out. Hell, Majoras mask is neck and neck with Starcraft and Shining Force 2 for my favorite game of all time.  But since I broke the pact of unquestioned nintendo loyalty I will undoubtedly have people jumping on my back over it.

(Your typical, oh people will judge me but see look I like the group that I'm criticizing which makes me an unbiased point of view.)

Ill end with this, Sony has made bad decisions, Microsoft has made bad decisions - and when they do people call them out over it. Nintendo makes bad decisions, and no one says anything.  (This entire section is nothing but bullshit, just saying) Take this as an example, mario galaxy 2 is no more changed from mario galaxy then modern warfare 2 is changed from 1. But browse a gaming forum and you would think that mario galaxy 2 is the most innovative platformer of all time, despite LBP planet completely trouncing it in the innovation department. The 3DS looks great, and has a great software lineup- but nintendo has been beaten in game quality by its rivals for the past three years. So the 3DS isn't nintendo blowing is rivals out of the water, its nintendo trying to play catch up on the number of quality games that non nintendo devs have made over the past few years while they did very little. 

(Oh look this statement is supposed to distract you cause it's what is called a red herring)

Of course some will say that gaming journalists have mocked nintendo since the wii was announced, and there is truth to that, but its no more criticism then sony or MS received. And when ever nintendo releases a game from one of its big franchises like mario, zelda, or metroid (which are rarely added to with the last good IP from nintendo being Pikmin in 2001) it receives unanimous praise whether it deserves it or not (twilight princess).  I realize there is a target on my back now but I really wanted to say this. And don't get me wrong, I love nintendo, but part of love is being able to see someone for who they really are - imperfect. 

(Actually a large section of the gaming media had no problem with the Wii when it was announced, after having egg on their face about PSP vs DS and seeing the great things that came out of that they were very receptive until the battle of the peens started about late 2007, but 2005 people sort of laughed at Sony by E3 2006 everyone mocked them and did so until about 2008ish when the focus really was taken off their bad aspects and casuals, being how casuals ruin the game industry, became the hot button)

Personally I see you throw around what does and does not deserve praise or to be bashed but really can't seem to find one reason why you have any authority on the matter.  Oh well you're basically as meaningless to the gaming population as the fans that go out to forums and do what you're criticizing, your speech falls on deaf ears, especially those with a bit of sense.  For a tip if you want to come off as appealing to all sides on neutral the last thing you do is try to pass judgement basically saying you KNOW ________ is crap but ___________ is good and then try to cry out injustice in the world.  

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Xoj said:
novasonic said:

Isn't Nintendo like the most critisized game company?

isn't that sony?

No im pretty sure that its Microsoft

Anyways, Great Read. Love how game Franchises that have been on PSP/PS3/360 For Years now Are suddenly the Best things ever, Don't forget iphone PSP PC PSP2 PS3 360 Are all Doomed now, Nintendo is going to make so much money off the 3DS That they Buy MS & Sony On the same Day! oh and Apple!   and they all lived happily Ever after. The End.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

A lot of the criticism towards Nintendo is unwarranted to a certain degree. Those of us who grew were 8 to 15 during Nintendo's golden years in the mid 1990s were rewarded with games like Earthbound that people are paying upwards to $1000 on eBay right now.

The criticism originates from Nintendo not taking their franchises (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid primarily) to new levels. We have seen Nintendo do it with Super Mario 64. Super Mario RPG, Metroid Prime, Spirit Tracks, and Wind Waker. People are pissed right now because New Super Mario Bros. Wii was essentially Super Mario Bros. DS repackaged with 4 player co-op, there has not been a new Zelda or Metroid game for the Wii for a couple  ofyears now.

Furthermore, with new classic franchises being built for other systems such as God of War, Uncharted, Fable, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, and the like, individuals are taking sides more than ever and comparing their newly loved games with the  Nintendo ones they played during their adolescence years.

Personally, I am still waiting on Earthbound 64, but hey you cannot always get what you want and when there are substitutes, then play them and expend all that anticipation on them.

Sounds like a kneejerk reaction to a shift in popularity from someone's favourite gaming company to another. No need to make such a blatant display of frustration, though.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:

A lot of the criticism towards Nintendo is unwarranted to a certain degree. Those of us who grew were 8 to 15 during Nintendo's golden years in the mid 1990s were rewarded with games like Earthbound that people are paying upwards to $1000 on eBay right now.

The criticism originates from Nintendo not taking their franchises (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid primarily) to new levels. We have seen Nintendo do it with Super Mario 64. Super Mario RPG, Metroid Prime, Spirit Tracks, and Wind Waker. People are pissed right now because New Super Mario Bros. Wii was essentially Super Mario Bros. DS repackaged with 4 player co-op, there has not been a new Zelda or Metroid game for the Wii for a couple  ofyears now.

Furthermore, with new classic franchises being built for other systems such as God of War, Uncharted, Fable, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, and the like, individuals are taking sides more than ever and comparing their newly loved games with the  Nintendo ones they played during their adolescence years.

Personally, I am still waiting on Earthbound 64, but hey you cannot always get what you want and when there are substitutes, then play them and expend all that anticipation on them.

You have PLAYED NSMB Wii right? It's like saying Super Mario Bros was the same as Super Mario Bros 3 or 3 like World...

Earthbound 64 was cancelled for various reasons but came out as Mother 3 in Japan back in 2006 on GBA with localization on a very text heavy game it would have been well into 2007 before it would have hit the states, well into the DS' life which makes releasing a GBA game rather odd and likely to be like the first game where it would have sold like crap. But you can find the unofficial fan translation which is actually more true to the Japanese story than an official translation would have been,

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Gnac said:

Sounds like a kneejerk reaction to a shift in popularity from someone's favourite gaming company to another. No need to make such a blatant display of frustration, though.

^

I'm sorry but you sound like a history revisionist. Most gaming media hates Nintendo with a passion. There is no other gaming company that gets as much criticism and hate as Nintendo. If the gaming media has anything to say about it, they'd wish Nintendo would become a third party for Sony.

You're either blind, ignorant, or extremely ill-informed.

This post is a reactionary diatribe based on an entrenched perspective (MS and Sony care more about the hardcore!) being uprooted and flung out the window. You're upset that almost everyone is so happy with Nintendo for the first time in nearly a decade.

How would Ness's mom put it.

TO-O-O-O-O BAD!

Wow. Nintendo did hit something important in E3 I haven't seen too much bullshit in a long ass time coming from certain "group"

Oh well, I guess you live in a perfect world, when you only see things that you want to see. And like many have said before this post, I just a bad reaction after E3. Don't worry.... it'll pass