By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "It's ganna be a tough holiday for Sony"

RAZurrection said:
darthdevidem01 said:

lol I'm not even gonna bother with this. If GT is so "weak" now I wonder why GT5:Prologue a demo that even big GT fans like myeslef didn't buy has sold more than its closest competitor int he Racing Simulation genre and more than any other gran Turismo prologue (granted GT4:prologue wasn't released worldwide).

Is 3 million a lot? Because with regards to series like Halo and CoD, if either of those did 8-9 million lifetime it would be considered under par. 3 million wouldn't even appear on the radar. They would be epic failures.

Secondly I didn't say GT series was weak, i'm just wondering why you elate system sales to be higher with a series that hasn't really been a big deal at retail since the PS2. Has this ever happened before?

How did established MGS4 franchise fair against a brand new franchise like Gears of War?

How about the established god of war 3 against Assassins Creed?

Or Socom against Left4Dead?

In all these cases the most recent titles are vastly more popular then those "classic" franchises people were supposedly just waiting to buy new PS3's for, but haven't materialised into ...well, material on the system seller front.

3.75 Million  is BIG at retail for a demo.

Besides GT4 Prologue has sold 1.36 Million and the final game sold over 10 Million.

So GT hasn't done those numbers at retail since the PS2 days because it hasn't had a mainline game released since the Ps2 days, is it that hard to figure this out?

MGS4 sold a bit less than the top selling MGS games, but it sold more than the lowest selling one so its done great sales for itself

God of War 3 is trending above GOw 1 & 2 in sales

They shouldn't even be in this discussion, both those games are doing as well as other games in their franchise.

Gran Turismo 5 will do the same and a potential 10 Million seller WILL sell lots of systems.

Reply to my bet challenge int he other GT5 vs Halo Reach thread.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:

Everyone here is unbelievably funny. If M$ sell huge numbers of 360's for the rest of the year. M$ definately won E3. That was clearly what there E3 was geared for. If they dont they lost it.

Simples. 

Something tells me, M$ very much so won E3. The sales will tell us.

You honestly believe that 360 and/or Kinect will outsell Nintendo Wii over the next 12 months? I don't see it happening.

Selnor said the same when Xbox 360 was cut to $199, it didn't happen then either

@Raz

REspond to my BET challenge the GT5 vs Halo Reach thread.

No I didnt. I said it would outsell the PS3. Which it did. What I did say about Wii, was it may steal 1 or 2 weeks. Never said it would outsell it regularly. 

My above posts remains. Sales will tell us. And yes I do think Kinect will steal Wii thunder.

selnor said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:

Everyone here is unbelievably funny. If M$ sell huge numbers of 360's for the rest of the year. M$ definately won E3. That was clearly what there E3 was geared for. If they dont they lost it.

Simples. 

You honestly believe that 360 and/or Kinect will outsell Nintendo Wii over the next 12 months? I don't see it happening.

Selnor said the same when Xbox 360 was cut to $199, it didn't happen then either

@Raz

No I didnt. I said it would outsell the PS3. Which it did. What I did say about Wii, was it may steal 1 or 2 weeks. Never said it would outsell it regularly. 

My above posts remains. Sales will tell us. And yes I do think Kinect will steal Wii thunder.

So you meant Wii last year when you said Forza 3 xbox 360 will result in its sales eclipsing PS3?

@Raz

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=111855

4.85 Million Gran Turismo 5 Prologue shipped

Sorry EVEN I under-estimated the sales of the demo for GT5.

darthdevidem01 said:
selnor said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:

Simples. 

@Raz

So you meant Wii last year when you said Forza 3 xbox 360 will result in its sales eclipsing PS3?

@Raz

Why do you keep saying demo? It's not a demo ..

Don Mattrick is doing something he doesn't usually do. He's being a true jackass. He didn't even know who Bowser was...so how in the world could he know what a core gamer is and how to please them? 

Around the Network
Seece said:
darthdevidem01 said:
selnor said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:

Simples. 

@Raz

@Raz

Why do you keep saying demo? It's not a demo ..

For me it is a glorified demo and I refuse to support them or the game itself with my money, despite wanting to get it I didn't.

What is it according to you?

I don't even like GT that much and I have had GT5 on pre-order since last year........ Anyways, a real 360 console and Kinect will still be more expensive than the Wii, and if you are looking at the Wii, you definitely don't care much about graphics in general, so at a basic level, the Kinect can be a hit or miss in the long run, not to mention Nintendo is doing a good job with future Wii line ups to grab some of the people that weren't interested in it before. All that would be moot if the 3DS comes out before christmas though, it would destroy everything, which would be a very fun thing to watch over.

darthdevidem01 said:

3.75 Million  is BIG at retail for a demo.

I wouldn't know, the only other game of this type with any current context would be ODST, which is on 5.25M in about 9 months at $20 more.

darthdevidem01 said:

Besides GT4 Prologue has sold 1.36 Million and the final game sold over 10 Million.

OK, but that's not a refelection of the Playstation 3's software is it?

darthdevidem01 said:

So GT hasn't done those numbers at retail since the PS2 days because it hasn't had a mainline game released since the Ps2 days, is it that hard to figure this out?

No that much is obvious, it is also obvious that the PS2 days are also long, long dead.

darthdevidem01 said:

MGS4 sold a bit less than the top selling MGS games, but it sold more than the lowest selling one so its done great sales for itself

God of War 3 is trending above GOw 1 & 2 in sales

They shouldn't even be in this discussion, both those games are doing as well as other games in their franchise.

Ok those games may be doing as "well" as their predecessors, but they have not sold as well as Battlefield: Bad Company , CoD4, WAW, MW2, L4D2 ...bear in mind, all of those are the more popular followups to games already released this generation. According to you, these sequels should be getting progressively less popular because people already had a taste of these franchises. Instead they actually became more popular with each interation.

darthdevidem01 said:

Gran Turismo 5 will do the same and a potential 10 Million seller WILL sell lots of systems.

TBH at this stage, while i'm not ruling out GT5 could be as popular as one of it's predecessors, that does not rule out the possibility that sequels to franchises that are just as popular (especially, recently)will still do better.

God of war 3 (and FFXIII) did very little to sell Playstation 3's in March despite 3 years worth of PS2 people wanting to hop on the current gen bandwagon for these "next gen debuts", but the sequel to Modern Warfare did sell hardware and it was even more popular. So if anything, with current evidence, we should be more inclined to believe that poplular franchises sell systems and popular franchises get ever more popular.

darthdevidem01 said:

Reply to my bet challenge int he other GT5 vs Halo Reach thread.

Can't you just reiterate it here?

Squilliam said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Worst E3 ever for MS, for core gaming, very mediocre and eventless E3 for Sony as well, best E3 every for any company, for Nintendo, so it's no mystery who "won" the real question is, who "lost?"

That would be Microsoft. They should have sold me a little on the redesign. I don't see why I should buy it.

I don't see why you should buy it either.

Yeah, I don't see why anyone should. My point is, they didn't SELL it. They needed to, I dunno, give me a reason why this console is different from the regular Xbox outside of looks.

Let's be honest. Xbox 360 owners kinda want to upgrade. At least I do. However, it seems like this "redesign" is just the regular Xbox in a near identical case. Again, wifi and Hard-Drives aside, that thing needs to be sold to me, and not just be announced, before I care enough to buy it.

...and you know me. I've pretty much been accused, and VOTED in the top 10 Microsoft fanboys AND 10 ten Nintendo fanboys on this site.

Don't get me wrong either. The PS3's conference was also utter shit. People are kidding themselves pretending that casual games, and a completely KNOWN lineup of relatively minor core games, another E3 with a GT5 trailer, and a stand up comedian is anything but boring redundant PR bullshit. The capper was a the new twisted metal game(LEAKED by Pachter), which had graphics far too mediocre to appeal to its target audience. Also, the PSP is aweful, and dying, if E3 is any indication. I laughed during the PSP section of the show for all the wrong reasons. I think that it was terrible.

However, it managed to be significantly better than the MS press conference for several reasons. MS's conference had all the things that were wrong with the PS3 conference, which were compounded by the utter insistance of the company to embarass me with terrible motion control casual games that no one will ever buy. To top it all off the big "megaton" of the shitty redesign was LEAKED a day earlier, and I found out way more information from that damn leaked ad, then they decided to give us during the actual unveiling, so EXCUSE me if I'm a little pissed off after that poorly thought out joke of a press conference.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

RAZurrection said:
darthdevidem01 said:

lol I'm not even gonna bother with this. If GT is so "weak" now I wonder why GT5:Prologue a demo that even big GT fans like myeslef didn't buy has sold more than its closest competitor int he Racing Simulation genre and more than any other gran Turismo prologue (granted GT4:prologue wasn't released worldwide).

Is 3 million a lot? Because with regards to series like Halo and CoD, if either of those did 8-9 million lifetime it would be considered under par. 3 million wouldn't even appear on the radar. They would be epic failures.

Secondly I didn't say GT series was weak, i'm just wondering why you elate system sales to be higher with a series that hasn't really been a big deal at retail since the PS2. Has this ever happened before?

How did established MGS4 franchise fair against a brand new franchise like Gears of War?

How about the established god of war 3 against Assassins Creed?

Or Socom against Left4Dead?

In all these cases the most recent titles are vastly more popular then those "classic" franchises people were supposedly just waiting to buy new PS3's for, but haven't materialised into ...well, material on the system seller front.

So, are you indirectly bashing Forza's and Project Gotham Racings numbers, as well?  Forza 2 sold just under 4 mil (3.99 mil).  And Forza 3 has done over 1 mil less than Forza 2 (even though some claimed that game would be HUGE) with 2.76 mil units sold.  GT5P has actually sold closer to 4 mil (3.76 mil).  And as of Dec '09, it has shipped 4.65 mil units.  You have to keep in mind that this game is merely a demo.  It also is almost 1/2 mil more units sold to customer than the sales of PGR 3 & 4 combined.  The point is that even for a glorified demo, GT5P has sold as well, if not incredibly better, than the competition's  full game offerings.  Proving that GT is still a big franchise today, even if you wish to downplay it.