By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "It's ganna be a tough holiday for Sony"

darthdevidem01 said:

Right:

1.  In terms of a hardware boost Halo Reach won't give much because a mainline Halo game has already released. But with Gran Turismo 5, its the first main Gran Turismo of the generation, there are tons of racing fans in Europe waiting for this game to pick a PS3 up.

That just means todays gamers are more familiar with the Halo brand, thus they will be more inclined to buy it and a new console also. GT is old and too long a gap between released. People just stopped caring. 

darthdevidem01 said:

2. We are discussing the impact of GT5, so why should I care whats the best selling this generation? I showed you how powerful the Gran Turismo franchise is.

krthnxbye

Because GT5 will be released this generation. This is the market it's performance is based on, not 6 years ago.

You mean, how powerful the GT franchise "was" right?  What about GT Prologue and GTPSP? You didn't mention. This generations iterations aren't nearly as popular, not even half at best to worst.

Also, now we are not soley discussing the "impact" of GT5, this is about Microsoft expecting it to be tough for Sony, which given that CoD and Halo are the biggest brands in gaming today (Wii megahits excluded) most likely will fare better then the nostalgia of PS2's glory days 6 years ago.

Saying that GT5 will do more for systems because it's the "first" (3rd) iterant this gen is like saying god of war 3 would sell more systems than Modern Warfare 2 because, hey people already played CoD2, CoD 3, CoD4 and CoD:WAW...but gow3 has PS2 fans just waiting to jump in.

Around the Network

Everyone here is unbelievably funny. If M$ sell huge numbers of 360's for the rest of the year. M$ definately won E3. That was clearly what there E3 was geared for. If they dont they lost it.

Simples. 

Something tells me, M$ very much so won E3. The sales will tell us.

A203D said:

@darthdemvidem01. i've never bought a GT before, never even played one. and i had no idea the series was such a behemoth, but from what i've seen i'm really keen on the use of head tracking in motion control, and the graphics look phenominal. it might be the first 1 i get, lol.

but in all honesty, i dont think sony needed to mention GT5 in the conference, its not the game i was interested in. i think their show wouldve been really good even without it. i'm more looking foward to dead space 2 and last guardian.

The series is massive, it gets covered in random car magazines that no game features in, Top Gear will most probably be doing a segment on it in the new season 15 closer to its launch because they let GT devs make the Top gear track in the game.

Lots of people don't know how big Gran Turismo is because many many gamers play it that you wouldn't call the most "hardcore" ones, my friends uncle is a car designer, he is just getting a PS3 for GT5 and he'll just play that one game on it. (he did that with GT3/4 on PS2......my friend did convince him to get a few other games though).

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

RAZurrection said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Right:

1.  In terms of a hardware boost Halo Reach won't give much because a mainline Halo game has already released. But with Gran Turismo 5, its the first main Gran Turismo of the generation, there are tons of racing fans in Europe waiting for this game to pick a PS3 up.

That just means todays gamers are more familiar with the Halo brand, thus they will be more inclined to buy it and a new console also. GT is old and too long a gap between released. People just stopped caring. 

darthdevidem01 said:

2. We are discussing the impact of GT5, so why should I care whats the best selling this generation? I showed you how powerful the Gran Turismo franchise is.

krthnxbye

Because GT5 will be released this generation. This is the market it's performance is based on, not 6 years ago.

You mean, how powerful the GT franchise "was" right?  What about GT Prologue and GTPSP? You didn't mention. This generations iterations aren't nearly as popular, not even half at best to worst.

Also, now we are not soley discussing the "impact" of GT5, this is about Microsoft expecting it to be tough for Sony, which given that CoD and Halo are the biggest brands in gaming today (Wii megahits excluded) most likely will fare better then the nostalgia of PS2's glory days 6 years ago.

Saying that GT5 will do more for systems because it's the "first" (3rd) iterant this gen is like saying god of war 3 would sell more systems than Modern Warfare 2 because, hey people already played CoD2, CoD 3, CoD4 and CoD:WAW...but gow3 has PS2 fans just waiting to jump in.

lol I'm not even gonna bother with this. If GT is so "weak" now I wonder why GT5:Prologue a demo that even big GT fans like myeslef didn't buy has sold more than its closest competitor int he Racing Simulation genre and more than any other gran Turismo prologue (granted GT4:prologue wasn't released worldwide).

selnor said:

Everyone here is unbelievably funny. If M$ sell huge numbers of 360's for the rest of the year. M$ definately won E3. That was clearly what there E3 was geared for. If they dont they lost it.

Simples. 

You honestly believe that 360 and/or Kinect will outsell Nintendo Wii over the next 12 months? I don't see it happening.

Around the Network

microsoft did not even come close to winning e3, nintendo did, microsoft had the least interesting conference and i aint just a nintendo fanboy saying this, if you dont believe go to my profile and look at my games.. 

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Scoobes said:
selnor said:

Simples. 

You honestly believe that 360 and/or Kinect will outsell Nintendo Wii over the next 12 months? I don't see it happening.

Selnor said the same when Xbox 360 was cut to $199, it didn't happen then either

@Raz

REspond to my BET challenge the GT5 vs Halo Reach thread.

I'm fairly certain Kinect will be priced around $50.00. How hard is it to make a webcam with two lenses? Moreover, the processing is done at a software level, so there is no expensive processor manufacturing cost there....

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

darthdevidem01 said:

lol I'm not even gonna bother with this. If GT is so "weak" now I wonder why GT5:Prologue a demo that even big GT fans like myeslef didn't buy has sold more than its closest competitor int he Racing Simulation genre and more than any other gran Turismo prologue (granted GT4:prologue wasn't released worldwide).

Is 3 million a lot? Because with regards to series like Halo and CoD, if either of those did 8-9 million lifetime it would be considered under par. 3 million wouldn't even appear on the radar. They would be epic failures.

Secondly I didn't say GT series was weak, i'm just wondering why you elate system sales to be higher with a series that hasn't really been a big deal at retail since the PS2. Has this ever happened before?

How did established MGS4 franchise fair against a brand new franchise like Gears of War?

How about the established god of war 3 against Assassins Creed?

Or Socom against Left4Dead?

In all these cases the most recent titles are vastly more popular then those "classic" franchises people were supposedly just waiting to buy new PS3's for, but haven't materialised into ...well, material on the system seller front.

darthdevidem01 said:
RAZurrection said:
darthdevidem01 said:

If only mainline games in COD and Halo hadn't already been released.

Halo Reach is main line. And regardless of how you see CoD:BO, World At Wars perfomance shows they have little to worry about.

darthdevidem01 said:

The top selling exclusive game of last generation on home consoles was Gran Turismo 3. (Yeah GTA:SA is but that went multiplat eventually)

I hope that adds perspective to things.

And what are the top selling exclusive games of this generation?

Right:

2. We are discussing the impact of GT5, so why should I care whats the best selling this generation? I showed you how powerful the Gran Turismo franchise is and how well it sold last generation, the games have massive traction.

kthnxbye

Repeating memes like this does not help your argument at all.