By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: 3DS costs "ALOT MORE" to make than the DSi

sigh. The only requirement for the 3DS  to be in 3D is the screen and an another video chip(cpu/core.. video ram) and some clever engineering in regards to parallel memory access. Not only is this doable, it's been done for years. This is no different in concept than SLI to 2 different outputs. There is no need for an increase in CPU or system Ram to make the 3d graphics. I don't know why people think that the 3DS is going to need 10x the current DSLite processing capability. It doesn't.

Will the 3DS have more power. Yes, but only because the cost to tech ratio has changed since the release of the DS. The 3DS chip will cost of all the parts will equal to the cost of the DS parts back when the DS was first release. Tech get's cheaper over the years. That's the reason for Reggies comment. The DSi is cheaper to produce because the tech has become ALOT cheaper than the original.

There were no samples of GC level graphics. The best seen was the MGS example and it was only a small bit better than than the PSP MGS:PW. Now keep in mind that all 3DS games in the current works are immature than the games for the PSP. So if you can consider games for the 3DS to be better(I personally do not, but accept other do) then give the developers a few years and some really impressive games will come out. Again though you won't see GC games comparible to Rogue Squadron.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

Nintendo launched the Nintendo DS for $150 and was (probably) not losing a significant amount of money when selling it at that price. After 6 years of hardware cost reductions, I highly doubt that the DSi’s sale price ($179.99) is anywhere near its manufacturing costs; and I wouldn’t be surprised if the DSi cost as little as $50 or $75 to manufacture. The 3DS probably does cost significantly more to manufacture than the DSi, but that doesn’t mean that Nintendo will be forced to sell it for any more than the DSi is currently selling for.

RolStoppable said:

Anyway, while Reggie didn't specify how much we have to pay for a 3DS, he at least gave us a rough idea of what to expect.

That seems oddly familiar

First of all, this thread starts with a Pachter prediction. That gives it a 25% chance of being right.

Second, EB Games in Australia has posted a AU$398 price point. That is $301 in USD. However, if you factor in higher prices for products in Oz (DSiXL is AU$348, DSi is AU$298), then the relative price for the US is $225.

That price is a nice sweet spot.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:

First of all, this thread starts with a Pachter prediction. That gives it a 25% chance of being right.

Second, EB Games in Australia has posted a AU$398 price point. That is $301 in USD. However, if you factor in higher prices for products in Oz (DSiXL is AU$348, DSi is AU$298), then the relative price for the US is $225.

That price is a nice sweet spot.

Mike from Morgantown

I agree with the rationale but not with the figures.  EB has the DSiXL listed as $300 and the 3DS for $348.00.  It lists this as an estimated retail price but given that they seem to know they are getting the red system this year and aren't getting the blue until next year I suspect they do have some info on which to base this estimate.

Given that the Wii is currently priced here at $300, an Australian 3DS price of $348  would suggest a price point of somewhere around $225 in the USA.  Having said that the Wii was still priced at $400 until not too long ago (when it was already 200 in the US) so you can't always draw exact parallels.  I suspect that Nintendo will shoot for the $200 mark in the USA, just for the sake of keeping it under that magic number.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

I agree with the rationale but not with the figures.  EB has the DSiXL listed as $300 and the 3DS for $348.00.  It lists this as an estimated retail price but given that they seem to know they are getting the red system this year and aren't getting the blue until next year I suspect they do have some info on which to base this estimate.

Why am i getting cold feet now that i know ill only get a choice of ONE COLOUR?

Is the black model not even launching? Eh, well i really like the red colour so i guess it will do.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
hsrob said:

Why am i getting cold feet now that i know ill only get a choice of ONE COLOUR?

Is the black model not even launching? Eh, well i really like the red colour so i guess it will do.

Didn't have cold feet for long.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

RolStoppable said:

"Alot" is not a word.

Anyway, while Reggie didn't specify how much we have to pay for a 3DS, he at least gave us a rough idea of what to expect.

Genius!

Good times of evil sony... I miss them a lot.

Lynx said:

I do not see how nintendo can launch the 3DS for anything over 200 dollars.  200 is likely the sweet spot that Nintendo is hoping for.  It would be a solid balance between setting the launch price where people can afford it, and hopefully making a little profit from the start. If they can hit this launch price point I think the 3DS will sell extremely well from the start.

agreed...I don't think it would be smart for Nintendo to make their handheld cost anymore than that. Any more than that and I think sales will suffer just like they did with the PS3 when it came out.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

If it sells at $249 at launch, i will buy one. but a $ 249 price tag means its gonna cost €249 euro. im based in Ireland.  Which means we are spending a good 60 dollars more for the machine. but its even worse for our UK friends. they get slapped with about an $80 dollar difference.

anyways, im getting one, day one. if its region free, then day one japan. if not, then day one Ireland i dont care about the cost. Nintendo have yet to disappointment me in the handheld market and they dont look to start anytime soon