By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP”, says Koller!

M.U.G.E.N said:

sigh

ps2 was intro'd in 2000 and ps3 in 2006...6-7 years into the ps2 life cycle which was aimed to be 10 years....this doesn't mean they will WAIT until the end of 10 years to release the next psp...it means the current psp has enough in it to sell for 10 years time in whole and frankly I can see that happening tbh...

So yeah, another thread filled with omgz it'z da doomzed sayers who doesn't even bother to try and understand a situation

the thread should have ended with this , i don't know what you guys are smoking.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
Severance said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

sigh

ps2 was intro'd in 2000 and ps3 in 2006...6-7 years into the ps2 life cycle which was aimed to be 10 years....this doesn't mean they will WAIT until the end of 10 years to release the next psp...it means the current psp has enough in it to sell for 10 years time in whole and frankly I can see that happening tbh...

So yeah, another thread filled with omgz it'z da doomzed sayers who doesn't even bother to try and understand a situation

the thread should have ended with this , i don't know what you guys are smoking.

Wait wait wait..

This is the PSP we're talking about? People need to be "smoking" something to think the PSP doesn't have much life left in it? PSP hardware sales are dying off, software is too and it was never much to brag about in the first place, support is low, and yet you're high if you don't think it's healthy for another four years....

Some perspective please.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

mai said:
scottie said:

Btw, 251 million shipped games by the end of March this year, so probably 260 million sold by now

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/80025/state-of-the-generation-big-3-shipment-update-through-march-2010/

Yeah, that's very close to half a billion ^_^

Half of Half of a billion!

Edit: Also I skipped page two.. 

Demotruk said:
Severance said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

sigh

Wait wait wait..

This is the PSP we're talking about? People need to be "smoking" something to think the PSP doesn't have much life left in it? PSP hardware sales are dying off, software is too and it was never much to brag about in the first place, support is low, and yet you're high if you don't think it's healthy for another four years....

Some perspective please.

This is my line of thinking,I don't know what I've been smoking. lol

Demotruk said:
Severance said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

sigh

Wait wait wait..

Some perspective please.

no i am talking about the "YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT 10 YEARS FOR THE NEXT PSP TO SHOW UP!", which is OBVIOUS.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
Severance said:
Demotruk said:
Severance said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

sigh

Wait wait wait..

Some perspective please.

no i am talking about the "YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT 10 YEARS FOR THE NEXT PSP TO SHOW UP!", which is OBVIOUS.

yea,if the next psp shows up at all. zing!!!!!!!

From the post you quoted, Severance:

"it means the current psp has enough in it to sell for 10 years time in whole and frankly I can see that happening tbh..."

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

If they release PSP2 during Autumn 2011, they could keep PSP alive for another two years pricing it as entry-level and and helping its sales publishing enough budget editions of its best games for new users. As a cheap, entry-level system, it would cater for a different market from its current one and also from the future 3DS and PSP2 ones, nobody sane would ever think that people willing to spend more for 3DS and PSP2 latest tech and new games would be the target market for PSP in its late years. So it would be a 9 years life cycle, that could be stretched to 10 years with the latest, almost totally not exclusive, obviously, releases for the existing user base before starting to drop support completely.

We can only wait and see, this is another issue that can't have a definitive answer right now.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

A203D said:

There is a big problem with all this 3DS stuff at the moment imo. and thats the effect 3D has on the eyes. 3DS is not meant to be used by kids under the age of 7 because apparently it can interfere with the development of eye muscles.

i'm an adult, with pretty poor eyesight as it is, i'm going to be very sceptical about a device that can affect your eyes. especially since prolonged 3D is said to cause strain on the eyes for anyone. my point is that i think parents will be concerned (i certaintly would be).

i know all 3DS games can be played without 3D, by that does defeat the object imo. so i wouldn't count PSP out of the runnning just yet. i'm uncertain that steroscopic 3D is the future of entertainment at the moment and i wouldnt count 3DS victorious just yet.

Defeat the object?  It's still a PSP-plus level handheld with Xbox-plus level shaders, with great analog pad, internal flash, new WiFi communication features, an innovative "game install" feature and like fifty great games already, including heavy hitters from literally every major 3rd party?  Plus you can play all your DS/DSi games on it too.

Even without the 3D, 3DS is HUGELY attractive and would be getting tons of attention...