By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP”, says Koller!

jonnhytesta said:
routsounmanman said:

1. X year plans are a joke. How long a platform will survive is solely up to support (both consumer & developer)

2. I've said it a million times already. The industry works on HYPE and MOMENTUM. When 3DS launches, noone will settle for a weaker platform (few settle for a higher spec HD platform due to Wii's momentum) like the PSP, or the DS for that matter. Both will die within a year from the launch of 3D

i dont know about 3ds graphics, for example kid ikarus looks pretty bad, like a DS game.

lol.  Don't play many DS games I take it?

Maybe you should watch the MGS3D demo?   Or the diorama demo?

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:

There's no reason the PSP shouldn't have another five years of life -- it's a superb portable video/music player, and has built-in web access, affordable storage options, and fine games, so all it needs is another price cut. Remember, the market for handhelds is much bigger than the market for consoles -- about 4 billion people on the planet can afford PSPs, only 1.5 billion can afford the PS3.

That said, PSP2 is on its way -- my guess is, the first models will ship during fall of 2011. I'm hoping for (1) HD screens, (2) touchpads and (3) stylus controls of some sort.

One potential game-changer for handhelds: integrating motion sensors into the devices. This sounds like overkill, but a vast number of games would work wonderfully well if you could use a stylus or some other control sensor to point-and-click. The DS is a limited application of this, but it'd be nice to see some more innovation here.

I already have a handheld with motion controls. It's awesome for racing games and flight sims.

It happens to have a lot of point-and-click games, too.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

jonnhytesta said:
routsounmanman said:

1. X year plans are a joke. How long a platform will survive is solely up to support (both consumer & developer)

2. I've said it a million times already. The industry works on HYPE and MOMENTUM. When 3DS launches, noone will settle for a weaker platform (few settle for a higher spec HD platform due to Wii's momentum) like the PSP, or the DS for that matter. Both will die within a year from the launch of 3D

i dont know about 3ds graphics, for example kid ikarus looks pretty bad, like a DS game.

You need to get your eyes checked. Or just take the glasses off. ASAP.

The iPhone and the 3ds already have motion sensing gyroscopes.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

jonnhytesta said:

Just because americans love to pirate psp games .it doesnt mean that the system failed. Thair is a world outside the US, belive or not.

There is, indeed, a world outside the US, and they pirate the shit out of PSP games, too:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/09/dissidia-final-fantasy-downloaded-illegally-over-5-million-times/

Around the Network

We don't know whether Sony will manage to make PSP last 10 years, but it's undeniable that an essential condition (necessary, not sufficient by any means) to have any chance to do it is to make it clear that they are willing to keep it alive so long, if it's possible. I they don't make this clear, obviously they lose developers and users support earlier. So the wider meaning of the statement is that if sales hold, they won't kill it early.

Edit: and obviously that they'll do their part also with SW support and marketing to try to make it last.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

- Introduce it into new, less developed markets?

- Has a few price drops left in it

- I imagine Sony would only have to sell about 20,000 a week to make it work while.

Very possible, not sure it'l happen though. Doesn't make much sense at all. PSP2 will 100% be out in sooner than 4 years anyway.

They have no credibility talking about 10 year plans if they are just going to throw it out there as if every Sony product manages to get to 10 years on the market. They sound like the parents of a child who is being picked up off the road by paramedics after a car crash and talking about how long the average lifespan will be, "Oh well hes got 7 years in him already and the average life span ought to be about 77 so thats another 70 years, George" whilst ignoring the fact that the paramedics are using a breather on the boy and putting a neck brace on him.

Tease.

PSP:DS as the GameGear:GameBoy.

A good system without enough support or options to be survive in the long-run.

(And I know the PSP had a good run ... but it was predicted to overwhelm the DS and instead started strong and then faded to black).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Squilliam said:

They have no credibility talking about 10 year plans if they are just going to throw it out there as if every Sony product manages to get to 10 years on the market. They sound like the parents of a child who is being picked up off the road by paramedics after a car crash and talking about how long the average lifespan will be, "Oh well hes got 7 years in him already and the average life span ought to be about 77 so thats another 70 years, George" whilst ignoring the fact that the paramedics are using a breather on the boy and putting a neck brace on him.

LMAO. Great analogy, Squill.