By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP”, says Koller!

There's no reason the PSP shouldn't have another five years of life -- it's a superb portable video/music player, and has built-in web access, affordable storage options, and fine games, so all it needs is another price cut. Remember, the market for handhelds is much bigger than the market for consoles -- about 4 billion people on the planet can afford PSPs, only 1.5 billion can afford the PS3.

That said, PSP2 is on its way -- my guess is, the first models will ship during fall of 2011. I'm hoping for (1) HD screens, (2) touchpads and (3) stylus controls of some sort.

One potential game-changer for handhelds: integrating motion sensors into the devices. This sounds like overkill, but a vast number of games would work wonderfully well if you could use a stylus or some other control sensor to point-and-click. The DS is a limited application of this, but it'd be nice to see some more innovation here.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:

There's no reason the PSP shouldn't have another five years of life -- it's a superb portable video/music player, and has built-in web access, affordable storage options, and fine games, so all it needs is another price cut. Remember, the market for handhelds is much bigger than the market for consoles -- about 4 billion people on the planet can afford PSPs, only 1.5 billion can afford the PS3.

That said, PSP2 is on its way -- my guess is, the first models will ship during fall of 2011. I'm hoping for (1) HD screens, (2) touchpads and (3) stylus controls of some sort.

One potential game-changer for handhelds: integrating motion sensors into the devices. This sounds like overkill, but a vast number of games would work wonderfully well if you could use a stylus or some other control sensor to point-and-click. The DS is a limited application of this, but it'd be nice to see some more innovation here.

True I agree some motion sensing would be cool, SOny already has the tech in some of their phone line up's for games and even to navigate through playlists and such using motion sensing....so I hope they impliment the same or better tech in the next psp

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Seece said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Seece said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
mai said:

@M.U.G.E.N

Do I need to explain why your comparison of PSP with PS2 is faulty?

Do I need to explain why they 'might' follow the same route?

That would be nice, cos I don't see how ...

lol seriously?

Ok imagine this super awesome scenario aight?

they introduce a new psp for oh I don't know, let's guess here and say next year ok? and then they market and sell it yeah? and they drop the price of the psp by a big margin...the old psp won't have all the things that the current psp has and maybe the old psp won't even be able to play certain games made for the new psp as well...HOWEVER given the cheap price and game line up, even the old psp will sell, again not by a huge amount but it will sell cuz those who couldn't afford will buy them yeah? And I'm talking about the world now, not just usa or anything...they can introduce the old psp for a really low price in regions where it's not readily available and it will sell for certain....

So yes I can see the old one still selling into the future by whatever numbers it may be....however it doesn't say anywhere in their comments they will 'wait' till the end of the 10 year cycle to introduce the next psp, they just say they will support the 10 year life cycle, nothing more nothing less

Anyone with an open mind should be able to see this...

Yeah.

FOR FOUR YEARS?

With the right price, good game support and introduction to other countries and regions = absolutely yes it's a good possibility imo :)

Again none of these comments say they will wait till the end of the 10 year cycle....that's the main point here, whether the current psp has what it takes to complete 10 years is up to debate for sure BUT imho the psp2 will come within the next year or so

So let's hold off on the OMG r th3y da crazies comments for now :P

Ok, I'll break down by region.

America - 4 years 9 months to go - Selling 14k a week - pretty self explanatory, won't make 10 years unless they make a 3D add on, cut the price, redesign the model, have a massive marketing campaign, don't release a PSP2, hope the 3DS fails.

Japan - 4 Years 5 months to go - Selling 25k a week - This is the one place it can sustain sales in the long run, but with 3DS releasing the PSP can't survive another 4 and a half years, heck the 3DS will be getting old at this point 0_o

Others - 5 years 3 months to go - Selling 36k a week - It's strongest region atm, much younger and a lot longer to go though ...

By my understanding, a 10 year lifespan means it's still getting supported? If the PS2 isn't getting hardly any releases anymore, the PSP sure won't when it hits the same age.

If the PSP2 releases, the PSP will die a quick death regardless of price drops ect.

@ Mugen - No, I shall not 'wait and see'

My original point was that the "10 year plan is a joke"

Even if the PS3 does last 10 years, it will be because 3rd parties provide it with enough support that consumers want to buy it for 10 years, NOT because Sony planned it. If you're too damn lazy to read what I say, then you shouldn't respond at all, and I shall not put in the effort to sumarise it for you, so I'll just quote the one main point

"The length a console lasts can be shortened artificially by the developer, but it cannot be lengthened. In other words, a company can stop a willing market from being able to buy one console (in order to push them to buy the newer one) But it cannot force unwilling market to buy its console, and thus it can't extend the life of a console"

Lastgengamer said:

So that's why we didn't see a PSP2 at E3.

they already have deals for part, probably not ready yet, and PSP appear TGS if i recall correctly

Around the Network

RIPSP

Just because americans love to pirate psp games .it doesnt mean that the system failed. Thair is a world outside the US, belive or not.

1. X year plans are a joke. How long a platform will survive is solely up to support (both consumer & developer)

2. I've said it a million times already. The industry works on HYPE and MOMENTUM. When 3DS launches, noone will settle for a weaker platform (few settle for a higher spec HD platform due to Wii's momentum) like the PSP, or the DS for that matter. Both will die within a year from the launch of 3DS.

routsounmanman said:

1. X year plans are a joke. How long a platform will survive is solely up to support (both consumer & developer)

2. I've said it a million times already. The industry works on HYPE and MOMENTUM. When 3DS launches, noone will settle for a weaker platform (few settle for a higher spec HD platform due to Wii's momentum) like the PSP, or the DS for that matter. Both will die within a year from the launch of 3D

i dont know about 3ds graphics, for example kid ikarus looks pretty bad, like a DS game.

mai said:

@M.U.G.E.N

Do I need to explain why your comparison of PSP with PS2 is faulty?

M.U.G.E.N said:

and now why is that? :S I can see with some great games and a good price cut it keeps selling..maybe not in 10s of thousands but it will...especially in Jp and others

Yeah, with this kind of logic NES was alive in 2000, as it was still selling.

Are you questioning the 20-year plan?!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.