By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “There is absolutely a 10-year life cycle for PSP”, says Koller!

alfredofroylan said:
@alfredo

if the PSP is the dreamcast, then what is the 360? When the PSP outsells it ocassionally? You people need to stop trolling the psp for once.

The Dreamcast outsold the N64 and Ps1 ocasionally too. It's not trolling but it's almost impossible to have a miracle for the PSP in America specially with Apple getting a big part of handhelds market.

but it didn't it too the PS2

Around the Network

Koller said:

We decide how long a device stays on the market, not consumers.

This cannot possibly be what he meant.

Falcon095 said:
leo-j said:

well the dreamcast sold 11 million consoles.. and like less than 14 million games.. while the PSP has sold almost half a billion software and 60 million systems.. huge difference between the two.. idk why you even compare it to the PSP

Well if consider that those 11 millions were in 2 years and that it happened 10 years ago, I would say itcould be comparable to PSP's 60 millions

And I'm having a hard time believing that the PSP has an attach rate of 8 .

no dreamcasts 11m is not comparable with PSP's 60m even if it happened 10 years back and dreamcast sold for 3 years maybe half of 4th but not just 2yrs

Seece said:
leo-j said:

I'm taking the numbers out of my a$$ but they are close to those estimates..

Maybe the PSP is closer to 300 mill.. but rounded up its HALF A BILL !

?? No it's 161 mill, possibly 180 mill shipped, 200 mill if VGChartz is off (which I doubt they're that far off)

i agree with you but 200m is pretty far

also didn't you find you leo-j said he is taking numbers out of his ASS? - I ROFLED

The psp is already half past dead. It might last one more yr if it's lucky.

Around the Network

Here are a couple of questions:

1. How much longer before all third party resources are directed away from the PSP (in favour of the iPod/iPhone/iPad, Nintendo DS, 3DS, and next generation consoles)?
  2. How much longer are retailers going to be willing to carry PSP systems, games and accessories given their limited shelf space and the (pending) release of products that will sell dramatically better than the PSP?
  3. How confident will people be in the PSP “Brand” if the previous console is on the market for months/years without a game release; and retailers stop carrying anything related to it?

Basically, the longer the PSP goes without being replaced the less likely any future Sony handheld will be successful. They might be able to get away with releasing a system in 2011, but I wouldn’t expect the current PSP to be on store shelves in 2012.

HappySqurriel said:

Here are a couple of questions:

• How much longer before all third party resources are directed away from the PSP (in favour of the iPod/iPhone/iPad, Nintendo DS, 3DS, and next generation consoles)?
  • How much longer are retailers going to be willing to carry PSP systems, games and accessories given their limited shelf space and the (pending) release of products that will sell dramatically better than the PSP?
  • How confident will people be in the PSP “Brand” if the previous console is on the market for months/years without a game release; and retailers stop carrying anything related to it?
  • Basically, the longer the PSP goes without being replaced the less likely any future Sony handheld will be successful. They might be able to get away with releasing a system in 2011, but I wouldn’t expect the current PSP to be on store shelves in 2012.

I don't think there going to come out with a psp2. I just don't see how.

There is a big problem with all this 3DS stuff at the moment imo. and thats the effect 3D has on the eyes. 3DS is not meant to be used by kids under the age of 7 because apparently it can interfere with the development of eye muscles.

i'm an adult, with pretty poor eyesight as it is, i'm going to be very sceptical about a device that can affect your eyes. especially since prolonged 3D is said to cause strain on the eyes for anyone. my point is that i think parents will be concerned (i certaintly would be).

i know all 3DS games can be played without 3D, by that does defeat the object imo. so i wouldn't count PSP out of the runnning just yet. i'm uncertain that steroscopic 3D is the future of entertainment at the moment and i wouldnt count 3DS victorious just yet.

A203D said:

There is a big problem with all this 3DS stuff at the moment imo. and thats the effect 3D has on the eyes. 3DS is not meant to be used by kids under the age of 7 because apparently it can interfere with the development of eye muscles.

i'm an adult, with pretty poor eyesight as it is, i'm going to be very sceptical about a device that can affect your eyes. especially since prolonged 3D is said to cause strain on the eyes for anyone. my point is that i think parents will be concerned (i certaintly would be).

i know all 3DS games can be played without 3D, by that does defeat the object imo. so i wouldn't count PSP out of the runnning just yet. i'm uncertain that steroscopic 3D is the future of entertainment at the moment and i wouldnt count 3DS victorious just yet.

They just announced a new nintendo handheld. That automaticly makes it victorious. Look at the DS sales vs the psp,not even close. When the 3DS comes out,it's going to be more of a problem for the psp.

just like every other PS.

but they will release another Portable sooner or later.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
    I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.