By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Real E3 Winner is...

The real winner was Kevin Butler.

Around the Network

Oh please.

Not to be rude but you makinmg me feel sick

Good day to you too

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

please tell me that you're joking? everyone even sony fanboys and microsoft fanboys have to admite that nintendo won this year E3.

ArnoldRimmer said:
binary solo said:

Getting the best response from a press conference means having the most news media report on you. MS has had more news media reporting on it at E3 than Ninty and Sony, therefore MS got more of what it wanted from its press conference than the other 2.

First of all: Of course Microsoft has been mentioned most. They had two press events while Sony and Nintendo only had one.

But anyway, it doesn't matter which company has been mentioned most, because there's a huge error in your reasoning. You make the assumption that being mentioned in the media is automatically positive for that company and that every time being mentioned has the same value. I wonder if BP currently subscribes to this point of view? ;) In contrast to Sony and Nintendo, Kinect had lots of negative press coverage, for example saying that they were only showing Wii rip-offs, that Kinect doesn't work if you're sitting, that many people were disappointed by the games they were showing etc. That's press coverage too, but not the kind of press coverage Microsoft wants.

Add to this the fact that when you do more than basic news searches, as was done in the OP, you get very different results.

For example searching for platforms and company name:

Nintendo Searches: "3DS E3 2010", "Wii E3 2010", "Nintendo E3 2010"

Sony Searches: "PS3 E3 2010", "PSP E3 2010", "Sony E3 2010"

MS Searches: "360 E3 2010", "Kinect E3 2010"*, "Microsoft E3 2010"

* - We'll give MS Kinect as an extra to keep things even in # of searches (even though that fact is itself an indictment of the theory).

Results:

Nintendo's Total: 100.8 Million

Sony's Total: 93.9 Million

Microsoft's Total: 83.6 Million

NOTE: I decided on ALL search terms before checking and calculating the results for any search/company

My guess is the more search terms used and the better those search terms are, the closer you will get to a fair representation of actual media exposure.  But as Arnold pointed out, some types of media exposure are better than others =P

To Each Man, Responsibility

Yeah i agree with MS winning and Nintendo did also a fantastic job.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Bad buzz is... well, bad.

Not sure what else can be said here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

wel Micrsofot had their press conf on a day where no one else did, think that might have affected these results.

RolStoppable said:

I have a better objective measure and that is my opinion.

Nintendo won because I say so.

More power to you!!!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

To OP: Of course Microsoft would win over Google views. They are deep in the pockets of the American media. I could've predicted this. The majority of people who were at E3 though were gamers. Nintendo won as weird as it sounds.

-PaNdOrA- said:

So.... Google determines who wins E3?

I guess so.

This is just like all those 'internet buzz' counters you see. Y'know, the ones that show ten times more 'buzz' for Uncharted 2 than NSMBWii or Wii Sports Resort.

Getting a bunch of internet tech pundits to chatter about your product counts for something, but the link between internet babble and people actually opening their wallets is tenuous at best.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.