By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, has Nintendo just killed Kinetic's momentum on the Expanded Crowd?

No. I have said many times. The casuals dont play Mario Galaxy, etc. They play the minigame stuff and Wii sports. 

Thats why M$ focused on those types of games. They were advanced types of those games. And much more interactive. They will definately steel Wii sales this holiday.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:

Ummm... guys. The navigation controller is optional for those that can't hold a dualshock with one hand... That's why SONY's not throwing it into any bundles... YOU DON'T NEED IT to play move titles.

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/100311e.html

When the MOVE was first demo'd with a game [RE5] it was played with a Wand and DualShock.

Eeeeww. Really? 

That is not accessable to casuals in anyway.

The casuals dont want all those buttons. Even not using them, they are daunted by it. My mum plays wii. But shouldnt wouldnt play it with a full controller in one hand. 

This is where Kinect is on the money. It simplifies yet improves casual games over Wii. Were yet to see core games really use it. So Sony has it here. But casual wise M$ is in front row.

EDIT:

Wii's new dancing game, will get eaten alive by Dance Central. Not even in the same league for the dance dance fans out there.

selnor said:

No. I have said many times. The casuals dont play Mario Galaxy, etc. They play the minigame stuff and Wii sports. 

Thats why M$ focused on those types of games. They were advanced types of those games. And much more interactive. They will definately steel Wii sales this holiday.

Do you think these casuals play NSMBW?

selnor said:

Eeeeww. Really? 

The casuals dont want all those buttons. Even not using them, they are daunted by it. My mum plays wii. But shouldnt wouldnt play it with a full controller in one hand. 

This is where Kinect is on the money. It simplifies yet improves casual games over Wii. Were yet to see core games really use it. So Sony has it here. But casual wise M$ is in front row.

EDIT:

Wii's new dancing game, will get eaten alive by Dance Central. Not even in the same league for the dance dance fans out there.

I wouldn't play holding a Dual Shock on one hand, it's simply not designed to that, really cumbersome. But anyway.

See, my point is, Kinetic'll have to prove itself with Wii-like software, but people who already have a Wii won't feel so compelled to get it for reasons I mentioned earlier. Now, while Natal may become seen as a Wii , 3DS is something entirely new. So people out for the new thing won't go for Microsoft's device, and 3DS will be getting a lot of attention from now on, stealing a lot of Natal's thunder and thus hype on the mainstream.

At least I think this is what'll happen. Not to say Kinetic will fail miserably, but I don't think it'll be as sucesfull as Microsoft would like.

Farmageddon said:
selnor said:

Tough one. I know my aunty, and mum wouldnt. They are casuals. They just want less buttons to press and more bowling etc. 

For example. They love Kinect. My dads present to themselves is gonna be 360 and Kinect for Xmas. My dad is fed up of winning Wii bowling sat drinking coffee. He says it's flicking his wrist not motion control. 

With Kinect you just cant do that.

Around the Network

Nice OP. Good read. I like how you didn't bring move into the mix as that wasn't the point. I agree completely. MS has fucked up it seems.

selnor said:
Dgc1808 said:

Ummm... guys. The navigation controller is optional for those that can't hold a dualshock with one hand... That's why SONY's not throwing it into any bundles... YOU DON'T NEED IT to play move titles.

http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/100311e.html

When the MOVE was first demo'd with a game [RE5] it was played with a Wand and DualShock.

Eeeeww. Really? 

EDIT:

I don't see complaints when it comes to DS games that use only the touch screen and completely ignore all the buttons on the system but ok.

4 ≈ One

selnor said:
Farmageddon said:

Tough one. I know my aunty, and mum wouldnt. They are casuals. They just want less buttons to press and more bowling etc. 

For example. They love Kinect. My dads present to themselves is gonna be 360 and Kinect for Xmas. My dad is fed up of winning Wii bowling sat drinking coffee. He says it's flicking his wrist not motion control. 

With Kinect you just cant do that.

Well, I think it's safe to assume there's a big overlap when it comes to these tittles. My point is, I don't really believe there's a single, well defined, incredibly easy to describe crowd that plays WiiSports and things like that.

Also, of course some (and by that I do mean millions of) people will buy Kinetic, but the fact that Nintendo's realising newer versions of those software that captivated this audience in the same place, as well as building up on that (while Microsoft more or less kept the same thing only with supposed control improvements), will keep a lot of potential buyers at bay, specially at a price of, say, $400 dollars. And, again, those who don't own either system are now much more likelly to get hyped by 3DS than Natal.

richardhutnik said:
scorptile said:

lets see it costs rumored 150?? and the wii is 200 hhmmm i think price alone killed it. now the ps move is 40 per controller and to really experience it you need 2. so there is 80 and 20 for the detector i think. but anyways take the price of the ps3 and add in move and it is also doubled the wii's price. the thing i would love to see nintendo to do in the next year or two is come out with a wii HD console and have it to where you can trade in your current wii and upgrade it to the HD for about 50-100 dollars and still hvae the same compatibility as the wii. now that would own big time.

With the PS3, you need the camera, and a Move controler, and also the equivalent of the Nunchuck.  The package for 1 player is over $100.  To add more than one player is $50 per, if not more.  The PS3 bundle with Move is $400.  I want to hear people say how the PS3 version is a good price while the Kinect set up is a rip off.

I also wonder if Nintendo has stole the 3D thunder with the 3DS.  They took repeated shots at the glasses you need for it another way.

no u dont, if u already have the camera, also the camera can be used for others games and video conferencing up to 6 members.

also u can use a sixaxis dualshock as replacement,

only u want the premium experience to have to buy the others. but then it's pretty much same price as the wii remote

but instead of paying extra por motion plus, u pay extra pfor the camera (if u dont have one and u only have to buy one not many motion plus)

Farmageddon said:

People said Microsoft presententation with Natal software actually hit well with the "Expanded Audience".

Now, after Nitnendo's conference, do you think a lot of the hype will be stole, specially, but not only, because of the 3DS?

I mean, Microsoft with it's selection of games kind of put itself as a Wii option. But then Nintendo came out with a new, Mario themed, sports collection, another, seemingly different from the others, party game collection, gave space to show Just Dance 2, which wil benefit from recognition a lot against Kinetic's dancing game.

Now, how could they top KineticAnimals? Maybe with Nintendogs... cats... in 3D?

I mean, they had a counter in a more stabilished franchise to just about everything Microsoft offered, and look to be pushing new ideas in areas Microsoft played safer. They also offered more bridge titles, DKC being a huge addition, which will capture a different point of the mainstream that Microsoft kind of forgot about. It's also kind of a Rare Killer if it turns out awesome, specially if GoldenEye rocks too, but that's beyond the point.

Now, Natal would still have the new tech buzz and all that, but I think 3DS has the potential to obliterate it. Not only it has on-the-go-glasses-free-3D gaming (and movie watching), it's got lots of other features, including a 3D camera. I mean, you can actually take 3D pictures anywhere you go. Not only that, but games will use this feature for head orientation and things of the like (an exemple being a dog tilting it's head as you do the same on Nintendogs Cats. This alone, in 3D, will sell a few million copies).

All this combined makes it seem like Natal will have a hard time becoming the big thing.

And the best part is that it'll have both great features and games for members of the not-so-expanded audience. But that's beside the point. Do you think, after this E3 conference, that Nintendo has shown Kinetic will have a hard time shinning as much as Microsoft wants on the mainstream?

I really don't think that using the 3ds in a comparison with kinect is very fair, for one its a handheld. 

that being said, you do have some good points, but i don't agree with you on some of those supposed more established franchises turning out better than what microsoft showed. For one, dance central looks way more appealing and fun than just dance 2. Also, kinect's fitness game looks more effective than anything on the wii, and you don't have to spend extra money of balance boards. As for kinectanimals, well thats up in the air....looks cool as heck though!

Kinect! who needs video games!