By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, has Nintendo just killed Kinetic's momentum on the Expanded Crowd?

I think the very real problem for Kinect and Move now is what the talk of the town is going to be.

I don't think it'll be about HD motion games, motion control is so 4 years ago...

I think true 3d games and movies and pictures without glasses or expensive 3D HDTVs will be what Joe Blow is talking about tomorrow, and oh yeah, you can now play Wii Sports on the HD systems.

Around the Network

Doing some web browsing and sure enough, it does look like 3DS (and to a lesser extend Sony's 3D) has killed Kinect's hype and Move is almost totally dis-regarded by main-stream press.

What people will be reading tomorrow:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/technology/16sony.html?src=busln

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65F04D20100616?type=technologyNews

calvinandhobbes said:

I really don't think that using the 3ds in a comparison with kinect is very fair, for one its a handheld. 

that being said, you do have some good points, but i don't agree with you on some of those supposed more established franchises turning out better than what microsoft showed. For one, dance central looks way more appealing and fun than just dance 2. Also, kinect's fitness game looks more effective than anything on the wii, and you don't have to spend extra money of balance boards. As for kinectanimals, well thats up in the air....looks cool as heck though!

I see. My point about the more established franchiese is two-fold, and applies to existing Wii owners. They'll have an option now: Simply invest on the newer Wii software, that's in some cases the next step for the software they've already liked so much (and in many cases next step in the sense of adding more than just refiniement), or go for a Xbox360 And Natal And the Software that's pretty much positioned itself as a re-imaging of sorts of the old Wii software you have. Now, clearly they'd need a pretty big incentive to go for the second optionover the first, and I don't think most people would see such incentive.

Now, the "casual" crowd who still haven't got Wii might go directly for Microsoft's sytem, but Nintendo just announced more experiences that are complementary to what there was before: they kept adding experiences instead of just re-doing the same they already have, which means people may now finally find that thing that was laking for them. Critical density might also come into play. But more importantly than any of this, to really tap in this market, and by that I mean to actually compete as an equal on it, Natal would need the spotlight: it would need to be seen by the mainstream as the next big thing in gaming, as the next revolution. And that's the meat of my point: 3DS will be cutting tremendously into it and stealing it's spot. It'll be perceived as a bigger thing, essentially keeping Kinetic from skyrocketing. And that's why I think, in this case, the handheld device can actually be pretty relevant to a console and it's peripheral's sales.

Totally... totally... :)

selnor said:

No. I have said many times. The casuals dont play Mario Galaxy, etc. They play the minigame stuff and Wii sports. 

Thats why M$ focused on those types of games. They were advanced types of those games. And much more interactive. They will definately steel Wii sales this holiday.

With your Xbox fueled signature and lack of substantiated proof, I cannot help but believe you.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
selnor said:

No. I have said many times. The casuals dont play Mario Galaxy, etc. They play the minigame stuff and Wii sports. 

Thats why M$ focused on those types of games. They were advanced types of those games. And much more interactive. They will definately steel Wii sales this holiday.

With your Xbox fueled signature and lack of substantiated proof, I cannot help but believe you.

Aunties, Uncles, Mums, Dads. They only own Mini game type games. Mario is the hardcore Nintendo Audience. My mum would never play Mario Galaxy. Nor my Dad. 

50 for move and 30 for navigator but the move needs the eye toy which is $100 so all that is 180 kinetic is cheaper

First off 3DS is a handheld and just like Kinect pricing hasnt been announced.

Second search outside gaming sites and Kinect is getting great mainstream press and the full body control is getting rave reviews and creating a great deal of excitement.

Third a 360 with Kinect will run you $300 at Kinect launch. Only if you are in denial do you not realize that MS will release a new Arcade model once the channel is cleared of existing 360 Arcades and Elites.  And for those interested in fitness games you wont have to spend an extra $100 on a board (1 out of 2 Wii's sells with a Wii Board).

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

^^ROFL kinect $149 stand alone no games included cheapest model.

Ping_ii said:

^^ROFL kinect $149 stand alone no games included cheapest model.

You have a link from ms for any pricing or package info? I haven't seen one yet