By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many pushups can you do?

When I was younger and played Rugby at school I could manage 50 on a regular basis. When pushed myself I managed to do 70.

Now? with my larger beer filled belly I can only manage around 40.

I currently weigh a little over 140 lbs.

Around the Network

I weigh 160 and can do between 150-200 a night, I started trying to get into shape a month ago and could only do 20 the first night

I weigh 175 and just tried and made it to 30 but that's after a heavy workout that left my  upper body completely sore. I can probably reach aroung 50 on a good day.

What I usually do is 3 sets of 30 and then add an extra 10. That's 100 right before bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I used to workout a decent bit around 4 years ago, but stopped when I started going to a university away from home.  My brother-in-law inspired me to start doing push-ups again about a week ago, having done jack all in terms of exrecise for years, and I've thus far gone from barely doing ten before having to stop from muscle strain to doing around 30.  Pretty good for only a week.  I weigh 140-145 lbs depending on how much I've eaten recently lol.

I have pretty good forearm strength though, because I've been practicing guitar heavily for around 8 years and added piano to that about two years ago.

Johann said:

I can't do 1 single pushup.

I could when I was younger, but not anymore.

Edit: I weight about 100-110

Your struggles with wine have now become clear.

Around the Network

i can do 80 i weigh 190

no idea how much I weigh in pounds... is it 12 or 14 to the stone?

I must weight somewhere between 115 and 145 pounds (i am about 63kg/10 stone)... I have no idea how many push ups I can do anymore. I have done 30 before but I never got into it religiously, and I am not quite as fit now.... probably 10-15 given the past 2 years I haven't really don anything more strenuous than occasional lifting.

A stone is equal to 14 pounds. So 140 pounds just like me.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

LuStaysTru said:
tarheel91 said:

The number of pushups you can do depends greatly on a number of factors independent of your strength: duration of each push up, how wide appart your arms are, how low you go, how arched your back is, etc.

Should look something like this

http://www.hundredpushups.com/images/good_form_pushups.gif

Depends on what part your arms and chest your want to work.  A wider stance emphasizes the pectorals, whereas a more narrow stance works the tricep.  Since a wider stance means less overall distance moved up and down, you can do more of them than say one where your thumb and pointer fingers make a triangle.

Honestly that one looks a little wide for a standard pushup.  I've always heard you place your hands in line with your shoulders width-wise for a standard pushup.

im in good shape, im 14 and i can easily do about 60-70 military nose touching the ground ones. but sloppy fast kind i can probibly do up to 105 or so... i do after school gym classes and stuff so im in really good shape but im to small to do football lol. but im going to be a marine when im older and i wanna start training know and get an early start.