By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Halo Reach and Natal push 360 # 1 in Sept/Oct?

Will Halo Reach and Natal push 360 # 1 in Sept/Oct?

By a wide margin 145 28.49%

Maybe a little 200 39.29%

No effect 129 25.34%

Sales will decrease 35 6.88%

Total:509

don't care, not my problem.

i'll wait till e3 to decide if Natal is good or crap.

Around the Network

About the only hardware spike from Halo Reach will be due to any special edition Halo bundles being offered. It aims squarely at the current Halo fanbase and is unlikely to pick up any significant number of new FPS fans.

As for Natal, I'd have to say that consumer reception depends almost entirely upon asking price for bundles as well as the co-release of any Natal based killer-app(s).

The only circumstance in which I see the 360 topping the sales charts for the month of September is if Natal bundles start at $199 (even then, still highly questionable without a killer app), or MS offers something completely unexpected like Halo Reach with Natal controls in a Natal/Halo Reach/250GB 360 SKU bundle at a giveaway price of $299. But I just don't see either happening.

In about one week, we should all have a better idea on what the Fall lay of the land should look like.

It's far too late in the gen for a Halo game to sell massive amounts of hardware, this being the fourth Halo game of the generation, and member of perhaps the most saturated genre of the generation. Reach will sell huge numbers, but I don't see it pushing many 360s.

Natal...that's a wildcard. It's really too early to tell what Natal will do, but I think people are putting too much faith in it at the moment. At the end of the day, it's a controller. A hands-free controller. A new controller isn't going to give the 360 an enormous sales boost unless it's priced competitively, bundled with the console, accompanied with several quality games which make use of it extremely well.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

It's far too late in the gen for a Halo game to sell massive amounts of hardware, this being the fourth Halo game of the generation, and member of perhaps the most saturated genre of the generation. Reach will sell huge numbers, but I don't see it pushing many 360s.

Natal...that's a wildcard. It's really too early to tell what Natal will do, but I think people are putting too much faith in it at the moment. At the end of the day, it's a controller. A hands-free controller. A new controller isn't going to give the 360 an enormous sales boost unless it's priced competitively, bundled with the console, accompanied with several quality games which make use of it extremely well.

I know you said perhaps, but I think music games are far more over saturated this generation. At least FPS games still sell. Not that I think Halo will push sales much at all.

But I do agree, Natal is a wildcard. 

I think it will remain on top for half a year. due to doubled USA sales.

Around the Network

Halo Reach won't do much because the fans already have their X360.

Halo Reach has nothing to do with the console itself.

Look at GoW3, it didn't effect the PS3 console at all, the fans who have a PS3 just buy the game, not a whole brand new PS3 for GoW3.

Halo Reach fans will buy the game, not a brand new console just to play Halo Reach.

Only most people who don't have a X360 yet buy the console.

Like myself, I own both consoles, but I won't buy a brand new X360 for Halo Reach because my old X360 is still working fine and waste $300 for a new console, what a waste, I would save $300 for other good games to buy.

About being #1 and take over the Wii, its only a dream.

Of course Halo: Reach will sell systems! No game of that size has really ever failed to sell systems its just far too popular to say otherwise.

Halo: Reach will sell to:

• People who have Xbox 360s and like Halo.
  • People who have Xbox 360s but haven't liked Halo enough to buy it.
  • People who had Xbox 360s but don't have one now for various reasons.
  • People who like Halo but haven't got an Xbox 360 but have been exposed to it.
  • Etc

Some things are popular and sell well just because they are popular. If Halo is THE FPS for the year in terms of multiplayer then it'll sell a bunch of extra copies and consoles simply because its popular. Sometimes the best multiplayer game is the one which all your friends are playing, not the most fun/innovative or whatever. The fact that the Xbox 360 could be another $100 cheaper since Halo 3 was released doesn't hurt either.

Isn't Kinect coming in November? The only thing which will really push sales is its anticipation (if applicable) and any price cuts/SKU reshuffles before its released.

Edit: I should add this important point is it depends on how much more popular Halo: Reach is compared to other shooters/games this year. If it totally smites every other FPS game released in Q4 in terms of popularity then the number of systems it could potentially sell are significantly greater than if its merely as popular or less popular than Halo 3 was relative to the competition at the time in 2007.

Reach will bring some more sales but even those will be probabably canibalized sales from previous months from people who wanted to replace fat with slim but were waiting for good occassion and maybe some limited edition.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

All depends when they release the $149/$199 arcade

they will releasing kinect and halo bundle, so basically 149 usd arcade price

standalone arcade will be 199 usd