Xen said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Xen said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Xen said:
astrosmash said:
Xen said:

Lol.

Nice comparison there. While Wii Sports is simply very barebones and is considered a tech demo by some, not only me, you just say something that is as random as the sun being green according to opinion, while its color is clearly non-debatable, unlike WS's existence as a game or a tech demo.

So what if it has some games built around it? They're all very simple and do not much beyond showing off the wiimote tech in a fun way. Sony's demo at E3 09 was also with a sort of an extremely barebones archery show. Is it a game? No. It's too barebones to be one.

You've asked for constructive, well, here it is.

You won't call it a game because it is a tech demo, but "so what if it has some games" ? Do you not see any contridiction there?

I think of the things that really gets under many Wii owners skins (mine too) is that there really is a great deal of depth to Wii Sports, but that doesn't stop people who have barely (or in some cases never) played it from saying the game has no depth.

I don't think there's any depth around it. It's all too rudimentary to be considered a game in my eyes.

Again that's not an opinion... don't know why that's so hard to understand, you don't get a free ticket to say a game isn't a game based on opinion, cause then it breaks the whole system just like gnizmo pointed out.  It simply doesn't work that way.

How is that not an opinion? Explain.

Because in this world we have things called dictionaries that are filled with definitions that define the things around us, we have these defined objects so we can describe things, a dog isn't a cat, a fish isn't a cat, a cat is a cat, that's all based on characteristics set in the definition

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3455697

If you don't adhere to these definitions then the whole system breaks, having rules for discussion becomes a moot point, therefore you're expected to have a basic understanding of definitions to have logical discussion and debate

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3455711

So yes calling something it's not is not opinion, the world is defined, calling something what it's not isn't opinion it's just flat out wrong, which is why we have education and so on and so forth cause we want to learn about the world, I could go on and on about this but I hope this post can actually get you to understand.

A large post pointing out how is it that I'm wrong, but you didn't explain how Wii Sports is deep. It lacks career modes, deep settings, and other things that define sports games... how is that not an opinion regarding its depth? I can understand what you're getting at with definitions (and agree to some extent), but the depth statement is definitely an opinion.

Depth is not a defining point of what makes a game a game as the definition I gave you is what makes a game a game, so depth is not even a factor in if a game is a game or not.  Now if you wanted to debate if Wii Sports has as much depth as other sports titles, that is an actual point that could be debated and discussed.

For the sake of sanity. I think that we both ought to stop here. What I consider a "game" truly is defined by depth, so we shouldn't discuss this any further, we differ too much.

Xen said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Depth is not a defining point of what makes a game a game as the definition I gave you is what makes a game a game, so depth is not even a factor in if a game is a game or not.  Now if you wanted to debate if Wii Sports has as much depth as other sports titles, that is an actual point that could be debated and discussed.

For the sake of sanity. I think that we both ought to stop here. What I consider a "game" truly is defined by depth, so we shouldn't discuss this any further, we differ too much.

Jesus sake you people and your quote boxes.

Your opinion on what constitutes a game is wrong. Games are games and depth has nothingn to do with whether or not they're games. You are wrong.

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Your opinion on what constitutes a game is wrong. Games are games and depth has nothingn to do with whether or not they're games. You are wrong.

I'm wrong by definition, yes... I've already had that pointed out. 

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

No, you're wrong period. Your "opinion" is based on a fallacious assumption, which invalidates it for the purpose of any discourse. You are wrong completely, fundamentally, and objectively.

If you realize you're wrong, then you don't actually hold the opinion you are purporting! You hold a different one, which is closely related, that you have yet to articulate. Do you mean to say you don't think Wii Sports is a "good" game because of its lack of depth? Do you mean to say it's not a "core" game? A "gamer's" game?

Or do you want to continue to hold to a fundamentally wrong assertion because you don't have the patience or time to come up with something that you know isn't wrong?

Around the Network

For me they will win if the FF6 Remake is announced for 3DS!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Khuutra said:
Xen said:
Khuutra said:

No, you're wrong period. Your "opinion" is based on a fallacious assumption, which invalidates it for the purpose of any discourse. You are wrong completely, fundamentally, and objectively.

If you realize you're wrong, then you don't actually hold the opinion you are purporting! You hold a different one, which is closely related, that you have yet to articulate. Do you mean to say you don't think Wii Sports is a "good" game because of its lack of depth? Do you mean to say it's not a "core" game? A "gamer's" game?

Or do you want to continue to hold to a fundamentally wrong assertion because you don't have the patience or time to come up with something that you know isn't wrong?

Using that second argument would be lying to myself, so I won't. I consider it being closer to a tech demo than to a game because it's so rudimentary and barebones. That's it.

Khuutra said:
Xen said:

Heh sorry about the quote boxes, rarely do I get rid of them because often times you get issues where the person you're talking to tries to contradict what they said before.  It's much easier to me to keep up with in the quotes.

@Xen

But that doesn't make it a tech demo nor does it make that stance valid.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

An opinion is an opinion people unless a fact proves the opinion is wrong, Xen's opinion isn't really changing anything within something thats a fact.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Xen said:
Khuutra said:

Using that second argument would be lying to myself, so I won't. I consider it being closer to a tech demo than to a game because it's so rudimentary and barebones. That's it.

Then you are purposely holding to wrongness. You are wrong on purpose. I'm not sure that's possible.